My quest for 6.7

I think it depends on what type of athlete you’re dealing with. Some, like me, are big lactic acid producers and some are better at dealing with it. For those athletes that are lactic acid disabled, 250-210 work is great for the 200m. For those with the capacity to handle the 300s, then I would say there is some benefit for the 200m.

If you look at the 200 splits when running a 210, 250 and 300 you’ll notice you get further away from your goal 200m pace. When I first started running 250s, my 200m pace was in the 23.x. So this was not directly helping me run a 21.x 200m. While my 200 split in a 210 would be somewhere in the 22 area. Whereas if I ran 300s it would take me so long to get to a pace that would actually begin to transfer to my 200m (not saying running a blazing 200m in a 300m, but rather to get the energy system transfer). So it depends on the individual’s strengths as long as one distance intensifies the next one appropriately.

Another beautiful day out there. Best one yet. Ran the runs with the wind, I wouldnt say they were illegal winds but they were definitely healthy.

1x120m 12.44s
1x150m 16.08s

3x30m accels

10x forward medball throw 8kg

Squats 1x5 @ 315, 1x5 @ 365, 1x4 @ 395

Wussed out on the 395. I dont like the feeling of a slow lift so I called it quits on rep 4/5. My weights coach said that I could have gotten 6 no prob but I’m content with that for now.

Big time inseason weights. I hate squats so I’m keeping the weights at 315. What do you think your 100m time is right now?

How come you do your 3x30m accels after the SE runs? You dont prefer it before?

With good conditions I think I’m looking good to set a personal best. Hand times can be deceiving so I’m not really sure but I would expect/ be happy with a 10.7-.8 season opener.

Really want that 200m to be good, and I think with good conditions can hit sub 22 on my first.

I switched them after having previously had 8 accels before my speed and speed endurance. I originally switched them because I found that when I fatigued my accels, the acceleration portion of my speed and SE was weak and affected the rest of my run. When I switched them I didnt notice the opposite effect. Now mind you this was with 8x20m accels vs 4x30m accels. So I probably wouldnt have much problem doing those first. I still do accels in my warm up. But I like switching up the focus, and devoting slightly more energy to whatever I do first.

Nice, our times (120-150) are very similar. Don’t get down if you don’t open with 10.7-.8…

I forgot to mention on thursday that I had found out about a local meet at the last minute that was happening today. They had electronic timing and were offering a 200m, so I figured with not many races going on around here with electric timing that I would race but treat it as a practice. Obviously with my thursday training being quite high, I wasnt expecting much just wanted to get the rust off of my legs before I actually trimmed back my training for a comp. So I’m going to skip my sunday training and do it on tuesday instead, and today I treated as a tuesday special endurance type of day.

1x200m 22.30s (2.3w)

Very nice day, good conditions. The race went well. My previous fastest season opener was 23.04 ht (3.3w) and that season I went on to run 22.14s.This is also the 3rd fastest 200m i’ve ever run (22.14, 22.19, 22.30). So I’m very pleased with the early result. I have no doubt that under legal conditions I can break 22s and this is a good indication of a decent season to come. I ran the curve way too hard, made up the stagger on the guy that ended up winning with 21.88 by 100m but then died hard at the end. I know I’ve maxed out my speed endurance and am in good shape on my 200s depending on how it feels after the race. This one hit me hard, legs burning, dizzy, took nearly an hour to fully recover from it. So the intensity was a shock to my system. In practice I wouldnt even remotely hit that sort of curve run, so the energy distribution was out of whack. Which, I believe, makes for some good training effects. Next race, I will work on driving hard to 50m, then settling in to 100m and finishing stronger and more relaxed.

Went to the gym afterwards as per my usual tuesday training.

5x3 bench press @ 295
4x8 dips with a 45 plate

The only reason my bench is still there is because I need to get it up for the bobsled camp.

Forgot to mention it was around 23C/73F, which to me felt blistering, so not used to it and thats not even that great.

So about 22.60, not bad for your first race and a loaded training week.

Yeah, I’ll take it. The track is slow as dirt too, real soft. Very different from the one I train on, that one is hard as nails.

If all go well you should be prime for at least 10.8 for your first 100m race.

Felt terrible today, one of my worst CNS days ever. Didnt do much CNS work.

1x100m 11.3
1x120m 13.4

The runs were into hurricane winds, probably around -7 m/s, lol. Anyway, I didnt switch it into tail winds because I wanted the intensity to be low. I felt crappy on the 100m and the 120m confirmed it, so I switched it up from there.

Couple of block starts, felt pretty bad as well so went on to the shot put throws.

These were the only thing that felt good so I threw the 4kg and 7kg shot. About 10x back throw with the 4 and 5x with the 7kg. I think the throws are a lot less stressful on the CNS so I didnt have much problem doing them.

Couple sets of squats and a few easy cleans

Squats 1x4@385, 1x2@ 405, couple random front squat attempts to get the feel for it.

Are you getting plenty of rest/sleep, keeping healthy, staying on top of training, or is the draw of socializing & drinking starting to pull you in, lol. Damn, the talent I’ve grown up with, only for them to fall by the way side towards the back end of high school not staying dedicated.

What is Bolt running into a heavy headwinds. Even him can forget sub 10’s the majority of time. You can’t base times off them silly winds.

I know when I’m cycling, a 5 mile hard effort into a strong headwind relates to around a 20 mile tail, over flat ground. Winds can increase the resistance your pushing against 10 fold.

Do you relate having a terrible CNS day to maybe cutting back on training too much?. I noted you for the weighted hip thrusts. What happened to them man, not seen them for a while?.

My sleep has been great. 10+ hours per day. I attribute the crappy CNS to partly the race I ran on saturday. It was hot and I ran the curve so hard, my body just wasnt used to that race intensity yet. Could also have been the wind making me feel slow that lead me to believe that.

I cut the hip thrusts heading in to my comp phase. Just going to keep my weights on for maintenance. The thrusts worked incredibly well as an accessory lift. I think I’ve kept a fair bit of volume in my training. I plan on maintaining 3 SE sprints per training sessions in a regular competition week.

I’m also trying to juggle getting ready for bobsled camp and setting personal bests in track. It will be tough and you’ll probably see me doing more sled work/ car pushes and things of that sort within my comp phase. It will interesting to see how I manage this.

Actually now that I think back, I did have about 6-7 beers sunday watching the bball game. That may have contributed to a delyaed recovery. Alcohol is a bitch when it comes to recovering the cns.

Yeah, alcohol depresses the CNS.

It affects not only every system in the body, it affects every cell in the body too. Its a killer man. It has too be one or the other if you want to be in peak physical shape.

Taking it easy today, want to create freshness for Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be running the 100 and 200.

4x30m accels
1-2 easy strides

4x3 bench press

How did your meets go?

100m opener today:

Heats: 10.93s 0.4w

Got there at 4:30 and the heats were supposed to go at 5:30, but they went at 5 so had a rushed warm up. Decent opener.

Finals: 11.04 NWI

They forgot to have someone at the wind gage. Ran well, better finish. Start was a little off because they held us for a while. Everyone ran .1-.2s slower then the heats so I would estimate a -1.3w. I checked the wind gage a couple times earlier and it was bouncing from 0.5 to -1.5 m/s.

Its too bad, I was hoping that the wind would pick up and could break 10.9. OVerall good opener. Its the fastest time I’ve run in 2 years. Last year was 10.94 (2.0w) season best and 10.87 (2.2w). The year I ran my pb my opener was 10.91 (3.3w) and 11.01 (0.6w) on what I consider the fastest track in this area. So my fastest opener by nearly .1s. Its looking pretty good.

Couple more meets, a decent taper and a hard surface and I think I’ll peak nicely at 10.6s in August.

200m tomorrow.