My quest for 6.7

I had to guess 8%??

Prob 7-8% or so. If you notice, the light source is pretty much the worst possible position and it drowns out a lot of the photo, which makes me look whiter and less defined, but you can see on one side the vascularity in the abs, which will give you a decent approximation of leanness.

Most people, when they see me in more appropriate lighting, think 4-5% or something crazy like that when it is not even close. I don’t think I have ever been below 6% and prob not much below 7%. People do not understand how lean that is.

Veins in the abs, boy you are lean! I am probably 13-15%.

Hopefully I can get that sort of definition at some point. I think the nature of training will help a lot. Going from 3 days/wk to 6 with the tempo sessions alone will change my body composition positively. I don’t think extremely low body fat is necessarily a good thing, but high is obviously not so great. I think body fat is a reflection of training in a small way. As long as I’m not chowing down on pizzas (although I am now. Off season :slight_smile: ), my weight should regulate itself.

In other news, I’m starting my GPP this sunday.

In the mean time,
This is a form video taken this summer.
http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2235#

Start
http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=1959

A race for this past indoor season
http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=1539

I don’t think its unattainable, I just think its not necessarily optimal (let alone crucial).

Let’s face it, there has never been a study that showed the accurate bodyfat % of all the sprinters in history who ran under 6.7 secs for 60meters.

Exactly why its not valid for you to say that syrus2001 must get under 7% bf in order to run 6.7 or better.

And because of that, you and the other guy: “Fogey fogel-face” seem to think I’m making stuff up.

You are.

Do you both believe he’ll reach his goal at his current level of bodyfat?

I can’t speak for fogey fattelson but I have no clue whether or not syrus2001 is capable at his current level of bodyfat.

Will just have to dissagree then. Show me one world class sprinter that is a little chubby, and I might belive you.

Chubby is irrelevant- one sprinter 7% bf or above who has run 6.7 or better invalidates your statement… more than one has been mentioned in this thread.

There is a factor that niether of you seemed to have observed. Not everyone has the anatomical and physiological traits of the fastest sprinters. One sprinter might need 1% or 2% less bodyfat than his training partner, just to run the same speed as his training partner if everything else, was ‘almost’ equall.

Might is the key word. In reality neither you nor I nor syrus2001 knows and this is why it is not accurate/appropriate for you to say he must get below 7% bf in order to achieve his goal.

Got my SPP download yesterday and watched it a few times. Good stuff. So much info packed into that video. I have more faith in my plan after viewing it.

Which download would be good next? Any recommendations?
I was thinking of either Van04, Edmonton 07 or rest and recovery. Obviously I’d like to have them all at some point but my budget is tight at the moment.

I haven’t heard people talk much about Edmonton 07, but I have heard tons about Van04, seems like that one is the must have download.

Edmonton is very similar to the Vanc04 in some respects. There are some reviews in the review and recommended area.

I went out to a local twilight meet to watch and volunteer today. Most of my friends and team mates were competing so I went and ended up measuring for the long and triple jump. Afterwards we were messing around and had a standing triple jump and standing broad jump competition.

My triple isn’t all that great, I hit 9m barely. My first jump is good and then I collapse when I hit and don’t go much further.

Standing broad was 3.12m. Technically thats a new pb up from 3m, but this was the first time I’ve ever measured it jumping in to a pit. I didn’t end up using the pit to my advantage as for some reason the only I can land is in a deep squat position, while my high/long jump friend kicked my ass with a 3.22m with his damn long jump landing skills.

I plan on doing a testing session on sunday to measure progress over the next months.

Day 1 of GPP
8x20m grass sprints in spikes

testing
SLJ: 3.02m
5 bound jump: 15.80m
Standing triple jump: 8.60m

Starting off the season with pb’s in both the SLJ and 5*bound jump, so nothing was lost over the season. My legs are quite sore already from those grass sprints, i’ve never really done them before. They’re really quite different from the track. My energy seems to dissipate into the ground and I get less back forcing my muscles to work harder.

I’m excited to be back working out.

Tomorrow is tempo and upper body.

My weights coach suggested a kettle bell circuit instead of upper body so we went to a field and did so.

12x overhead toss
12x under toss
8x vertical toss(per arm)
12x hammer style toss (per arm)

That was pretty taxing aerobically so I cut tempo down to just one set, did 4x100m walk back recovery and then stretched it out.

Feeling good, the legs remember how to do this stuff.

Going to take tomorrow off just because this is an easing back into things week and I’ll hit up some grass sprints again on thursday.

Had the day off yesterday, watched worlds for most of it.

Today was:

10x20m on grass
Felt great. The volume is just good enough that its pushing my capacity, but the grass is ensuring that I don’t fry my CNS in between days.

I can already feel this type of work is greatly beneficial. I’m getting winded and fatigued but its mostly muscular. My muscular fatigue has typically weakened my high intensity work because I have a tough time handling low volumes and long recoveries.

Tempo work tomorrow and then maybe some hills on friday.

Legs a little sore today.

2x4x100m tempo with walk back recovery on grass. It was tough near the end but this is where I need to push up my capacity.

You’re doing gpp type stuff right?

Yeah, mostly grass sprints and accels,hills, med ball and kettle bell circuits and tempo.

Workout today:
3x4x60m with 20m intensity limit so 20+maintain to 60m on grass

This is the first of what I’d call a core workout in my GPP. I’ve never done anything like it before. This was truly an awesome workout. This is real base work.

The grass and intensity limit work perfectly, I’m just barely taping into my CNS, running just enough to have an effect on the CNS but not too much as to wipe me out completely. All fatigue was local. Kept recoveries at around 2 minutes but didnt follow it strictly. Took Charlie’s advice and didn’t try to fight my strides a let the frequency and rhythm occur naturally.

Here are some videos of a few sets:

http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2294

http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2295

We were a little group of us training, me and 3 canada games athletes,1 discuss and 2 shot putters. On a side note, the CIS shot put record holder showed up and threw a bit, he was thinking of making a come back. Him and my weights coach were old training partners.

There is a hurricane headed our way for sunday so that might mess up my training schedule a bit.

I’m probably going to do some tempo tomorrow as I’ll probably be quite sore. Take sunday off and then hopefully run either monday or tuesday again depending on how bad the hurricane hits.

2 mins between reps? How long between sets?

Bit more than 5 minutes between sets, not strictly monitored. It was pretty liberal.

I felt good throughout. Felt close to recovered by the time I was ready to go.

High volume of lower intensity work, but remember that 20m hard then maintain is still very intense. At this point i’m mostly trying to condition the muscles to be prepared for sprinting. So when I go to really intense stuff, they’ll be good to go.

Today I did:

5x12 med ball lunges
10x overhead med ball toss
10x med ball jumps (pretty much just messing around dunking the 3kg med ball)

4x150m walk back recovery. Just testing out the 150’s with walk back to see how much difficulty I would have with them. One set was enough.

Today (Monday):

GS strength circuit
3x12 med ball lunges
4x7 med ball hops
10x overhead toss
10x underhand toss
10x med ball vertical
3x10 tuck jumps in sand

Hills tomorrow.

Today (Tuesday):

3x4x40m grass hills

Found the perfect hill nearby, not too steep and nice grass. Felt really good but my legs are toasted now.