My quest for 6.7

Raining again today so I went inside.

2x210m (24.2, 24.2)

They felt pretty decent. My indoor times are always slower. My CNS was still a little trashed from the max lifting on sunday so this is a lower CNS day.

4x5 bench @ 255

syrus, How many days of the week do you usually perform these main lifts?.

And usually on which days?.

One day per week and after my special endurance.

I use the high reps as assistance work that is easier on the CNS along with the special endurance.

Rain and cold again today, as usual.

1x60m
3x120m (12.81,12.94,12.90)
4x30m blocks

6x10 bounds

15x hop and throw 8kg

Back squat 1x5@315, 1x5@355, 1x5@385

I can’t remember the last nice training day I had outside. This is killing me. My times seem to be consistent but in worsening conditions. 12.75 done in nice conditions vs 12.81 done in garbage weather. Hope there is some progress there. But I’ll have to wait until some nice weather comes around to see. The pb’s in lifting have been coming even though my lifting volumes are very low.Hope this is also an indication of progress

Easy week- Rain and headwinds

1x120m (13.06)
1x150m (16.5)
1x100m (10.97)

My legs werent feeling all that great. Couldnt catch a break with the wind, was a weird cross wind that would gust at random times. I cut the accels and plyos and did 1 less sprint. On thursday I’ll only be doing 2 sprints.

5x1 cleans @ 225
10 forward toss 8kg medball

Supposed to be nice on tuesday so hopefully it will turn out.

I got invited to the National Bobsled Development Camp in July. I’m just ironing out the details for the flight, but I think I will be attending.

Ideally I would have prepped for this with more thorough training. I was debating on whether I was going to wait a year before going down. I could have put in a year of solid specific preparation for it and really performed well. Instead I’m going in with my 200m training. It will have to do I suppose.

Nicest day its been in 3 weeks. No rain, bit of clouds, 61F/15C. Thats the best that I’ve got to work with for now.

I thought I’d have a 200m time trial today to see where I’m at. Seeing as I’ve been training specifically for the 200, and have been avoiding the exact distance I needed to know where I stood.

1x200m 21.75s

Fairly pleased with that. Based off of my 210’s I would have guessed I was in shape to run a 22 flat. But those 210’s have been run in crap conditions so this time is on par with that. Technically I tried to focus on my curve, which is usually all over the place. I focused on hugging the inside of the lane with a good and aggressive lean. Hit the straight and felt nice and tall, started to fall apart after 150m. In a real race with people around me I tend to be much stronger at the finish with people to chase/fend off.

4x5 Bench Press @ 265

how useful would you find doing 210-250m sprints vs. going out to 300m?

I think it depends on what type of athlete you’re dealing with. Some, like me, are big lactic acid producers and some are better at dealing with it. For those athletes that are lactic acid disabled, 250-210 work is great for the 200m. For those with the capacity to handle the 300s, then I would say there is some benefit for the 200m.

If you look at the 200 splits when running a 210, 250 and 300 you’ll notice you get further away from your goal 200m pace. When I first started running 250s, my 200m pace was in the 23.x. So this was not directly helping me run a 21.x 200m. While my 200 split in a 210 would be somewhere in the 22 area. Whereas if I ran 300s it would take me so long to get to a pace that would actually begin to transfer to my 200m (not saying running a blazing 200m in a 300m, but rather to get the energy system transfer). So it depends on the individual’s strengths as long as one distance intensifies the next one appropriately.

Another beautiful day out there. Best one yet. Ran the runs with the wind, I wouldnt say they were illegal winds but they were definitely healthy.

1x120m 12.44s
1x150m 16.08s

3x30m accels

10x forward medball throw 8kg

Squats 1x5 @ 315, 1x5 @ 365, 1x4 @ 395

Wussed out on the 395. I dont like the feeling of a slow lift so I called it quits on rep 4/5. My weights coach said that I could have gotten 6 no prob but I’m content with that for now.

Big time inseason weights. I hate squats so I’m keeping the weights at 315. What do you think your 100m time is right now?

How come you do your 3x30m accels after the SE runs? You dont prefer it before?

With good conditions I think I’m looking good to set a personal best. Hand times can be deceiving so I’m not really sure but I would expect/ be happy with a 10.7-.8 season opener.

Really want that 200m to be good, and I think with good conditions can hit sub 22 on my first.

I switched them after having previously had 8 accels before my speed and speed endurance. I originally switched them because I found that when I fatigued my accels, the acceleration portion of my speed and SE was weak and affected the rest of my run. When I switched them I didnt notice the opposite effect. Now mind you this was with 8x20m accels vs 4x30m accels. So I probably wouldnt have much problem doing those first. I still do accels in my warm up. But I like switching up the focus, and devoting slightly more energy to whatever I do first.

Nice, our times (120-150) are very similar. Don’t get down if you don’t open with 10.7-.8…

I forgot to mention on thursday that I had found out about a local meet at the last minute that was happening today. They had electronic timing and were offering a 200m, so I figured with not many races going on around here with electric timing that I would race but treat it as a practice. Obviously with my thursday training being quite high, I wasnt expecting much just wanted to get the rust off of my legs before I actually trimmed back my training for a comp. So I’m going to skip my sunday training and do it on tuesday instead, and today I treated as a tuesday special endurance type of day.

1x200m 22.30s (2.3w)

Very nice day, good conditions. The race went well. My previous fastest season opener was 23.04 ht (3.3w) and that season I went on to run 22.14s.This is also the 3rd fastest 200m i’ve ever run (22.14, 22.19, 22.30). So I’m very pleased with the early result. I have no doubt that under legal conditions I can break 22s and this is a good indication of a decent season to come. I ran the curve way too hard, made up the stagger on the guy that ended up winning with 21.88 by 100m but then died hard at the end. I know I’ve maxed out my speed endurance and am in good shape on my 200s depending on how it feels after the race. This one hit me hard, legs burning, dizzy, took nearly an hour to fully recover from it. So the intensity was a shock to my system. In practice I wouldnt even remotely hit that sort of curve run, so the energy distribution was out of whack. Which, I believe, makes for some good training effects. Next race, I will work on driving hard to 50m, then settling in to 100m and finishing stronger and more relaxed.

Went to the gym afterwards as per my usual tuesday training.

5x3 bench press @ 295
4x8 dips with a 45 plate

The only reason my bench is still there is because I need to get it up for the bobsled camp.

Forgot to mention it was around 23C/73F, which to me felt blistering, so not used to it and thats not even that great.

So about 22.60, not bad for your first race and a loaded training week.

Yeah, I’ll take it. The track is slow as dirt too, real soft. Very different from the one I train on, that one is hard as nails.