My high school workouts

I’m just throwing this out there and seeing what people have to say. My coach was really well respected and has put out some fast guys (2 100m state titlists who are in the NFL right now), though his philosophy is definitely far off of Charlie’s. I much prefer CF’s and have found it more effective.

Monday - Warm up.
450@99%, 300@99%, 300@99%,
and then maybe 2x200@65%. Rest about 15 minutes between the hard runs.
800m jog cool down.

Tuesday - Warm up.
8x200. For guys who run the 200 in 22-24s, run these in the 27-29s range. Walk back recovery.
800m jog cool down.

Weds. - Warm up.
4x300 @ 98%. 12-15 minutes rest between each.
800 jog cool down.

Thursday - Warm up.
8x200. Same pace as Tuesday.

Friday - Warm up.
If there’s a meet on Saturday, work on starts or relay exchanges. If not, there might be something like
2x400m @ 95%

Saturday - If there’s no meet, run 6x200 relaxed.

This sample is pretty representative of how we did things.
In my four years of running, we had ONE workout which required us to go hard over less than 300 meters (a 3x200 @ 95% day my tenth grade year.) Seriously, that was it.
All other “speed” days were some collection of 300s, 330s, 400s, 450s, 40 second runs, or 50 second runs.

Weights could be lifted during PE hour if you wanted to do them, though the coach never gave any guidance as to what to do.

We had some great 4x400 teams, yeah.
Some good 100 guys too though.
What are the advantages of running this kind of workout, where the emphasis is almost solely on long sprints? I mean, is there any reason to adopt this sort of thing if you’re strictly training for the 100 or 200?

Good for building overall work capacity, otherwise not much else for 100m in particular. Sounds like repetative intense tempo workouts…

isn’t it 3 Special Endurance II workouts and 2-3 tempo workouts.

that’s what it seems to me. We never sat down and decided who was a 100 guy or who was a 400 guy, everyone who sprinted did the same workouts.
Is this a good program for that? It seems really weighted towards the 400 to me, but maybe that much SE is supposed to benefit all sprint events?

it could be made into a long to short for a 100 200 guy if the distances progressed downward throughout training(i.e. 450, 300, 300 to 400, 300 to 350 250, to 200, 150, etc.) but right now it is definetly a 400m program. you could do some accels out to 20 or 30 meters before each high intensity workout. thats what Charlie does on his Long to short program as well, but he also only does 2 SE workouts a week in L to short. your coach probably uses this program because developing 400m sprinters creates a versitle athlete cuz they can run a 1, 2 , and hurdles, and both relays.

If you use the meets as SE workouts (ie run the 100, 4x100, then 200) then you would even have some shorter work. This is a hell of a lot better than most of the high school programs I have seen/heard of (ie go out and do a road run for 30mins then come back for a few block starts w/ no rest or something even worse).

If the tempo is kept extensive on tues and thurs- but it’s moving under that limit if they’re done under 29sec at their race speeds.