My decathlon training plan, please comment...

I have developed an idea for decathlon training for myself based on CFTS adapted for decathlon, and would like some feedback.

Reminder of decathlon events in order: 100m,LJ,SP,HJ,400 110H,DT,PV,JT,1500.

Crude assessment of major physical qualities required in each event;
100m - leg power, arm power, top speed, speed endurance
LJ - leg power, top speed
SP - leg power, arm power,
HJ - leg power,
400m - leg power, top speed, speed endurance
110h - leg power, top speed, speed endurance
DT - leg power? arm power
PV - leg power, top speed
JT - leg power, arm power
1500 - speed endurance
Therefore the quality required most is leg power, followed by top speed, then speed endurance and arm power.

Training elements;
Leg power - developed by sprinting, plyos, OLs, Weights
Arm power - developed by specific exercises (throws), med balls, weights
Top speed - same as leg power, best developed by ‘flying’ sprints with gradual acceleration.
Speed endurance - developed by speed endurance and special endurance sessions.

As in CFTS, 1st phase of year should emphasise acceleration and leg power, 2nd phase top speed as well, and third phase speed and speed endurance while maintaining strength and starting power.

interchangable training exercises- alternate for variety,
acceleration sprints can be replaced by LJ run-ups, or PV run-ups (as long as the acceleration is near maximal)
high jump/OL’s/plyo’s interchangable
throws/specific throw RFD exercises/med ball throws interchangable.
speed endurance 80-120m with hurdles 80-110m

Volumes;
32 day cyle composed of 4x8-day training weeks
week 1 heavy volume (27% of total over 32 days
week 2 medium volume (23% of total)
week 3 heaviest volume (32 % of total)
week 4 light volume (18 % of total) for supercompensation.

(based upon weightlifting volume cycles in Weightlifting encyclopedia, which I have tried out on weights only with good results)

volume most easily measured in speed, OLs and weights, not as easily in plyo’s therefore use plyo’s carefully.

max volume of each training type in a training session (heavy week)
throws ??? 15 throws?
plyo’s ??? 20-40 foot contacts?
speed/speed end. 400m
special endurance. 600m?
weights; 63 reps in a session (42 reps for 2 main exercises, 21 reps for assistance exercises
tempo 2000m.

Intensity;
Throw’s and plyo’s - determined by effort put in- v. rarely max. effort. 95% perceived effort normally.
Accel’s, speed, and speed endurance - 95-100% best time.
OLs and Weights 85-95% 1RM
OLs- sets of 1-3
Weights- sets of 2-4 main exercises, 3-6 assistance exercises.

Intensity generally lower on heavy volume weaks, higher on lower volume weeks. Go (close) to failure/100% on sprints & plyos only in one-two sessions every 2 weeks (end of medium and light weeks)

Drills - circle drills for throws, ‘soft throws’ with underwieght implements, short run-up drills for jumps mechanics

Sample training week
Heavy week, max strength phase.
Day1 Accels.(300m), Plyo’s.(20fcs), Weights1
Day2 Drills, tempo 1500m
Day3 Speed (400m), Throws.(15), Weights2
Day4 Drills, tempo 2000m
Day5 Accels.(350m), Plyo’s.(25fcs), Weights1
Day6 Drills, tempo 1500m
Day7 Special endurance(800m), Throws (20), Weights2
Day8 Drills, tempo 2000m, or rest day.

In second phase day5 change accels to speed
In third phase have day5 as second phase and day1 accels. to half accels/half speed and day3 to speed endurance. Also cut weights volume by half.

Weights are split into 2 sessions
Weights1- OLs and Lower body focus
Weights2- Upper body focus esp. BP
Back rows, Chins and Curls spread across weights sessions as assistance exercises.

One more note- throws performed with both arms to keep volume same for both arms.

Thats something I will have to experiment with once I get into the training. The plan is only theoretical as I have to get my knee fixed first, then build up some training capacity. The main reason I put throws after was because they are slower movements. I have kept to the general rule of quickest -> slowest throughout the training session.

Just out of interest, why do the throws after the higher intensity running? The main attributes involved in the throws are leg power and that’s pretty much going to be sapped after speed or accels - meaning your teachnique will suffer as your throws will have more “arm” than they should. But then again it depends on what time of year your talking about.

not to mention the fact that the throws are towards the middle/end of the days in a decathlon. It’s always good to get used to throwing (discus especially) when your legs are a little tired. I always throw disc after a good workout and it has worked well for me as far as mimicking the way you feel during the dec.