my basketball program, critic please

this is just for jumping and shooting

Mon-Fri:
5,000 shots a day (4,000 jump shots, 500 free throws, 500 layups)
Don’t know how to explain my dribbling program, but it lasts 2 hours.

Sat-Sun:

10,000 shots a day (8,000 jump shots, 1000 free throws, 1000 layups)
3 hours of dribbling.

What do you guys think? I’m 15 and its off season

Wow. Before I say anything, is that a typo or do you really intend to shoot thousands of shots a day? If you do, let me say that they by the time you hit five hundred, your shots will be without focus and at a very low intensity, nowhere near “game-speed.” Also, I don’t want to brag or anything and maybe I’ll post a video to show you, but I was easily the best ball handler in my conference this past season, probably up near the top for the country. I play “real” ball, but I’ve also played in And1 open runs and been asked to play in the real, indoor game. That being said, 2 hours of ball handling is way overkill and, once again, too long to be focused and have any carryover to games. Maybe 5 hours of ball handling a week, dispersed throughout, would be better and that is still a ton. Write up a more thorough, and realistic plan, and I’ll be glad to help you out.

thanks, It’s not a typo. I am real terrible at shooting, i planned on shooting low intensity shots at the begining, and then lowering the amounts of shots taken and making it more game speed. about the ball handling, how many hours a day you think i can practice without making it overkill?

how about this plan

mon-fri 3,000 shots / 1 hours dribbling
sat-sun 4,000 shots / 1.5 hours dribbling

Have you ever even taken 1000 shots in a day? I wouldn’t think so, or you wouldn’t be posting this.

If I were you, I’d do about a .5-1 hour of ball handling drills per day along with maybe 500 shots. Believe me, this is more than enough.

haha yea 10,000 shots is like one shot every 9 seconds for 24hours straight.

I would reccomend putting more time into getting more explosive (lifting plyos and nutrition) this will have a direct carryover in alot of fascets of your game- jumping, your first step, your strength on drives, ect, but remember you also have to balance it with mainting/improving skills and playing as much quality intense basketball as feasible

If your good at shooting than you don’t need to shot the ball that much. I am guessing you play the point. Work on ur general conditioning and dribbling skills.

My advice to young skinny weak bb players would be to dont even touch a ball during the offseason, get bigger,stronger,faster and more mobile.

way to much shot volume…

Good advise, your skill levels will eventually catch up. However if you have neglected your athleticism than thats going to show up on the court.

I would stay on the court, just make sure that it doesn’t cut into your “athletic training” workouts. So, if right now, that means playing twice a week and practicing hard on your own twice a week, then that’s it. Then every so often, start to add a little more. And keep building up that capacity.

As for ball-handling, this is a stationary ball-handling workout I used to do everyday (literally). I got ot the point where I could knock it out in less than 15 minutes. See if you can get there.

50 hard ball slaps
Around your head 20x, right and left
Around your waist 20x, r and l
around your legs 20x, r and l
around one leg, then other 20x, r and l
figure 8 wrap around, 10 on front, then reverse for 10
10 seconds as hard as you can crossing over in front of you
10 sec. same as before but, then with between legs, then behind back, then combinations(between legs into a crossover, behind bac into a reverse between the legs) Do every combination you can think of that at 10 hard seconds a piece
Figure 8 low dribbling 5x front and reverse
Then put both feet together and low dribble around them 5x each way, then do the same for one leg, then the other

Do that everyday. Your handles wll get better. I guarantee it. Then 2-3x a week, on top of that, work on your moves making them as explosive as you can. (like this guy but you don’t have to make the noises :), but i think this stuff could def help a beginner in getting quicker with the ball:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i6J55SAHfE

Make up combinations and get creative with it. Have fun.

if its good enough for carl marlone then its good enough for you, no need to touch a ball in the offseason when ur weak and skinny.

But Larry Bird was better than Karl Malone :slight_smile:

You must be on crack.

I think if had to pick between Karl or Larry. I would choose Larry because he has a better outside game. That opens the inside game for the other players. Karl was a beast in the post, no doubt but Shaq can answer that. Larry outside game was literally unstoppable, that release was so high and quick.

Who played the longest, who had the bad back, enough said.

Who has the rings and who’s the one who routinely gets mentioned as possibly the best ever?

how many great players dont have rings?? larry wouldnt even be in my top ten he wasnt even the best on his team.

Karl had a longer career, and his numbers might be overall better. But If I was picking a team, I would choose Larry first. Outside shooting from the PF is a big asset. Look at how many title Robert Horry has won with Houston, LA and the now SA. The outside shooting from the PF is the key ingredient to championship teams.

Larry Birds achievements.

Hall of Fame (1998); NBA champion (1981, '84, '86); NBA Finals MVP (1984, '86); NBA MVP (1984, '85, '86); Nine-time All-NBA First Team (1980-88); All-NBA Second Team (1990); All-Defensive Second Team (1982, '83, '84); NBA Rookie of the Year (1980); One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History