My 400m Guy's Prep Heading into Olympic Trials

Well it’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread. Yes- I am STILL working with the same athlete. It’s been a fascinating journey over the past few years, and I have learned a ton coaching this athlete (and others). I’m sitting in Orlando, FL as we are here to race at the NTC Pure Athletics meet on Saturday April 18th. It will be his season opener.

I guess a good place to start would be recapping the 2013 and 2014 seasons briefly. I will go into more detail about each season later, as there is so much to talk about. The amount of learning about high performance athletics that I have been able to achieve in the past two years is really unbelievable. When I made this insane commitment (and believe me, it is truly irrational and illogical) to coach a National level athlete in 2012, I didn’t take the decision lightly. I had already read Speed Trap a dozen times by then, and I knew that the commitment level required would be very high. I’m a single guy, and coaching has probably ensured I remained that way. The amount of time coaching at this level takes is very high if you want to do it properly (in other words following Charlie’s principles).

The 2013 season started off very well. He ran a significant indoor personal best at the Metro Track and Field Centre in the 400m, running 48.54 to come second by 0.04 to a former National champion. The MTFC 200m track is very tight, and it was an excellent time as well as an excellent race. He ran numerous fast times indoors that season, but in retrospect I raced him too often. He was feeling sick for probably the entire month of February 2013 due to racing weekly, and running frequent personal bests. He ran a spectacular 21.77 from lane 3 at MTFC, a time that hadn’t been seen indoors there in many years. In retrospect, we ran too much on that indoor track and it’s simply too risky.

If you read the early part of my journal, you know I’m pretty good at making a few big bonehead moves every season. For 2013, the biggest bonehead move was undoubtedly getting caught up in racing too much indoors. After his huge 48.54 PB, we were scheduled to run the 200 indoors the next day. Even though he was destroyed and shouldn’t have ran, I had him line up for the 200 the next day anyway. I believe I was trying to compensate for him not finishing the 400m final in 2012. I wanted him to run on back to back days to prove he could do it. It was stupid! The 200 was a nothing race, and running it after pouring his entire being into the 400 the day before was simply foolish. What was to be gained? Nothing really. What were the risks? Why injury, of course.

He ran the 200, and on the second step he stumbled no doubt due to his CNS being shot. He ended up aggravating an old knee issue. It bothered him for the next week or two, but he had already been invited to travel to Trinidad for a Team Ontario 4x400 relay meet. He ended up going to the meet and running despite the fact that he knew something wasn’t right with his knee.

When he returned, we didn’t fool around- we went to the very best Sports Doctor in the western hemisphere, Dr. Anthony Galea. If there is one principle I would suggest to everyone, it is DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME with mediocre talent, be they massage therapists, coaches, doctors, etc. If you want to be the very best you can be, you OWE it to yourself to go to the best. Anything else is just going to waste your time and money. In my experience dealing with the incredible people we have met along this journey over the past few years, I have noticed common threads among every outstanding person we have come across. (Just a few examples: Angela Coon, Waldemar, Ben Johnson, weights guru Mario Greco, KitKat, ESTI, Dr. Galea) All of these people are incredibly helpful.

1. They are incredibly generous. Their central concern is always “How can I help you?”
  2. They listen to you, as a coach, deeply and meaningfully, and are thus able to get to the root of problems FAST.
  3. They are holistic in their understanding. They understand key big picture concepts VERY clearly, have a clear philosophy, and NEVER get bogged down by details.

There are basically two guys you want to see if your athlete gets injured, either Dr. Galea in Toronto, or Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt in Germany. I can’t say enough about the incredible quality of Dr. Galea’s care. We went in to see him over the knee issue, and he quickly identified the issue via a few manual tests as a potential torn meniscus. We walked over to his MSK ultrasound technician, and indeed the scan showed three tears, two of which were probably from previous issues. The doctor suggested PRP therapy instead of surgery. For those who are unfamiliar, PRP involves removing some of your own blood, spinning it in a centrifuge to separate the platelets, and injecting the platelets into the injured area. This can be very effective for speeding healing of tendinous areas, as there is minimal blood flow to these areas and healing tends to be compromised.

You can pull up a bunch of contradictory studies that may tell you PRP does or does not work, but I really don’t give a crap what studies say. If you’re trying to coach high performance and you’re waiting for science to guide you, you well and truly may find yourself 30 years behind in many areas, so have fun with that. Our results with PRP were excellent. There were three injections spaced 8-10 days apart. After the first 8 days, the tears had shrunk by 50%, a further 50% by the following 8 days, and by the third ultrasound (about 18 days later) the tears had completely scarred over with zero surgery.

Be aware- you can get PRP from a lot of people, but careful MSK ultrasound guidance from an excellent technician coupled with a very skilled injection practitioner are what I suspect make a big difference. If you have a quality athlete and have the money, I strongly suggest Dr. Galea.

Regardless, after the knee injury and the packed indoor season, my athlete seemed to have a crisis of confidence. He seemed lethargic, less confident, and less motivated. He decided to not continue training toward Nationals. This was doubly frustrating as 2013 was a weak field, and even with compromised outdoor training I feel he would have been an incredibly strong candidate to win. Looking back, I think I overloaded his nervous system tremendously by getting caught up racing during the 2013 indoor race season. I now understand how sensitive his nervous system is, and it was definitely too much racing in too short a period of time. He lost confidence after the injury, and part of that I believe was the impaired status of his CNS. This was a great lesson to not get too caught up with immediate results, and view the season as a process of slow but steady progress that cannot and should not be rushed.

This is like waiting for the next episode of ‘Game of Thrones’… :smiley:

Haha thanks Hornblower! I’m just about to get to work here…

After the huge disappointment of not competing outdoors in 2013, I had to think very long and hard about whether I wanted to continue coaching this athlete. Many other friends and coaches that I spoke to suggested that I was wasting my time.

Ultimately I decided to give it another try. Some things were going to have to change however. First, I needed to know that this athlete was 100% committed to training. We met over the summer to discuss the previous season, and I made it very clear that I was not going to make the massive time commitment required only to train a partially motivated athlete. He assured me that he was fully motivated, and I believed him. Others were not convinced, but I intuitively trusted him, which surely made me seem even crazier.

In our society, I find that people are very quick to ascribe failures to a weakness of character, or a fatal personality flaw. There is very little belief in there being any sort of physiological basis for the way people act. In my experience talking to other coaches, it is amazing how rarely coaches ask themselves “What did I do to contribute to our failure to achieve our objectives?” Coaches are often quick to blame athletes as being mentally weak. Everything is coachable, including mental mastery, and there are NO excuses. Failure is failure. Making an excuse does not lessen the reality that objectives were missed. I believe accepting failure and looking deep within one’s self to find lessons is the only way to grow as a coach, and as a person. Charlie was a great inspiration here- reading through Speed Trap for the millionth time reminded me how relentlessly positive he was. However, there is a HUGE difference in being unrealistically positive, and accepting your failures, attempting to figure out where you went wrong, and having a plan to move forward. Charlie was rooted in reality. Many coaches I come across are not.

I looked at myself, and tried to accept responsibility for the mistakes I made. I believe that I had depressed his CNS during the previous indoor season. He had clearly been feeling unwell for much of his competition phase, and at the end he had the injury to prove it. Following the injury, I feel like his CNS was perhaps seriously depressed from running numerous races in very fast times almost weekly. I strongly believe there was a physiological basis for his loss of confidence and motivation. There were a couple of months there where he simply did not seem like the person I knew. Regardless, this is NOT an excuse to quit. I spoke very directly and frankly about how his failure to even train had cost him a National title. Just because you don’t feel great doesn’t mean you get to not show up for work. I took this breaking of commitment very seriously and told him so. When you make a commitment, you must see it through or you will never know what you can achieve. Of course, the fear of not achieving your goals is always an issue, but it is a greater shame to have not done everything in your power to get there.

Overall, I intuitively felt we could continue. Despite feeling less than 100% during 2013 indoors, on race days he would rise above how his body felt and put in tremendous performances. Looking back, I think this is part of the reason I trusted that he was serious about training for the 2014 season. I knew that we hadn’t fully figured out his physiology, and I felt I had really overdone it with the race schedule the previous indoor season.

2014 would have to be different, and we would have to apply the lessons learned from the previous season and a half to produce better results. The first thing I knew I needed to do was expand my coaching horizons- I needed to get out of Toronto and upgrade my coaching skills. I applied for the IAAF Level 5 Academy in Bradenton, FL and was accepted. This would turn out to be a pivotal event in my coaching development that I will get into later.

The next thing that I wanted to do was to plan a quality training camp in a warm weather climate over the Christmas break (I am a teacher and get two weeks off over Christmas holidays).

The third item on my list of plans for 2014 was to get my athlete into high-pressure races with quality professional athletes. We needed to break out of the bubble that is Toronto. Also, let’s be realistic- fast times are run down south in good weather conditions with great competition. Running against the same medium level competition in Ontario with variable weather conditions and atrocious officials who are not athlete-centred is a fool’s game that I was not willing to continue playing.

At least you learn from your experience, that’s the most important thing. Staying positive and optimistic is also equally important as learning, both necessary to achieve the desired objective.
He decided to stick with you, you decided to go and do extra work sounds good to me.

I’ll give you other example not so positive.
Used to coach decathlete, quite talented was running low 14 hurdles, 50.0 400 decent high jump 2m, shot 15m. Strength levels were OK too. 175 Bench, 205 squat, 240 DL, hang clean 140 etc… Not much regular training done due studies/ work/ laziness Wasn’t far off from OG standard year before. Had a meeting with him in August, decision was made. I was leaving my teaching job (had some savings) I have organised access to top polevault coach, he had a family suppot so let’s do it. The decision was that we’ll go full time program some days twice a day as of mid of September.

Well shit.
Didn’t turn up for the session till mid of November, told him what I thought about it, didn’t like it.

Never mind I decided to carry on.
Sessions went well, some PRs during first part of indoors.
Receiving surprising call around beginning of Feb, went to comp without agreeing with me, smashed his knee, meniscus tear.
GAME OVER.

Not many positives out my lesson.

I think that getting the balance right is necessary and maybe that was my lesson actually. The relation between coach and athlete is an amazing thing, to feed off of each other and drive forward. Having said that it is also a responsibility, at the end of the day we are both at the same boat.

Looking forward to your next update.

Kind regards
Wermouth

Wermouth,

Thanks for sharing your experience. You are clearly a very dedicated coach. Even though you went through the negative situation you mentioned, you clearly took some positive lessons from it and I’m sure it informs your coaching to this day. I will keep the updates coming!

I’m with hornblower on this. :slight_smile: