Mo's training regimen

At one point, as I mentioned above, Bruny Surin used to eat at McDonalds all the time (almost everyday), and that year he ran 9.84sec. I was told this by one of his training partners. Of course he was a bit off from sub 9, and can;t be compared to those sprinters who have run sub 9 (like the fellow off of The Animatrix).

But, since nobody can convince you, I guess I am wasting my strength typing this.

It’s a state of mind thing too. To be the best you’ve got to eat the best. I remember Wilson Young, who developed Allan Wells all those years ago, saying that Wells wouldn’t eat a pie under torture. Plenty of grilled chicken, veg, etc.

BTW, my favourite in the sub-9 clash of champions is Lee Majors. Bionics will beat animatrix every time.

But if Lee Majors was the 6 million dolar man, why did he wear those 39 dollar leisure suits, and how can those bionic legs work without a bionic back? (Ben got the only one available)

Gee - you’d know it was time to be in bed over here wouldn’t you!

Alright enough on the sub 9!

Herb - do you seriously believe your source and that Bruny lived on MickeyD’s everyday?

I’m afraid I just find it hard to believe that some one can reach that level of physical human achievement living on Mickey D’s every day.

Perhaps for a bad week or during a poor run of form, but week after week?

Maybe I’m completely off track or too tired tonight … Well after all I am the guy sleep talking about sub 9’s and stuff

OK people, just because I really like to eat McD’s I’m gonna play devils advocate. But we all know that protein, carbs and fats are in all types of food, whether it be the fast type or the regular home cooked or the isolated supplement type. If we do the math, and work out how much we need, we can basically eat anything in the right cuantities and proportions, be it McD’s, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut or whatever

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.nutrition.index.html

learn it and enjoy (those who like it anyway)

Ok, I’ll play devil’s advocate to your devil’s advocate. It’s not the protein/fat/carb ratios, or even calories that are the problem with fast food. It’s the toxins and chemicals in those foods which get stored in your nice, healthy cells long after you digest that food. Don’t you think a toxin-laden nerve cell trying to fire a toxin-laden muscle cell will result in a less efficient contraction? Can you see how over the years this build-up will cost you speed? Don’t think that the plasticky residue of that crap will all come out in the toilet…

And, of course at your age you are not thinking about how blocked your heart arteries are at 40. But every meal like that contributes to the blockage, just like every sunburn that didn’t seem to be aging you at 20 makes you look like leather at 40. Your outward appearance and bodyfat levels DO NOT give you an accurate indication of the sticky residue buiding up on your insides. There are lots of skinny fast food eaters getting bypass surgery!

I can’t see how once in a while would be the end of the world, but given the regularity of indulging you are hinting at…

Sorry to sound like your Dad!

Actually I wish it was more often. The thing I like about McD’s is that after I eat I feel satisfied, not so with most other meals. If it’s due to that sticky plasticky residue, then so be it I can put up with it once a fortnight I reckon. :wink:

I used to eat Nuggets and Super Quarteirão,
it is a sandwich only served in my country,
each sandwich contains: 50g of protein ( 2 XL hamburguers )
22g fat
60g of Carb´s,
so, it´s much more than i need i know, but…it´s once a week i guess.
Price: 3 US$ Dolars ( 300ml of Orange Juice + 4 piece Nuggets + Sandwich ).

Linford Christie; “I don’t diet.”
Colin Jackson;“Linford sais he doesn’t diet but he eats so healthily that to anyone else it’s like he’s on a diet.” Linford;" I eat lots of chicken, fish, fruit and fish but now and again I treat myself. If I feel like a chinese take-away or fry up I’ll have one. It’s not a problem. Colin Jackson eats more choolate than anyone I know and he doesn’t have an ounce of fat on him."

Goose correct about jackson.i witnessed him eat a giant bar of chocolate in front of my eyes.he ate damn all leading up to this point and this was at 930 before bed.

When you find someone running SUB9, please let us know what hes eating!

charlie it certainly won’t bremcD’s stuff.eat to much of that stuff and you’ll run to the bathroom in sub 9 while holding your backside.

trust me guys,elite sprinters are all very strict on diet.i know we have all withnessed MG eating crap which is good but wjat does he eat at home while in heavy phases!!! certainly not mcD’s.he ain’t exactly ripped and my advice would be to cut down on the crap biscuit boy.now JD is ripped but can’t run happy medium i know

Exactly what I said. Once al the hard work is done you can walk in Maccas and just sit on your ass and eat. You’ve won already!!!

very true, but then these are world class athletes, i think as far as we are concerned, we need one very strict diet and im sure at some point in their lives they did that until they became who they are then it didnt really matter cause they were world record holders and world champions, i mean ur talking colin jackson, mo greene, surin! come on!

its an old interview of mo greene back in 2001, thought id put it in as he mentioned a bit on his diet

CNNSI Host: Welcome to today’s Goodwill Games chat with the World’s Fastest Human Maurice Greene. Welcome Maurice, and thanks for joining us.
Maurice Greene: Thank you and glad to be here. Ask me any question you would like.

From Kenny Mac in Oakland: What’s up Maurice? I noticed when someone talks about you it is impossible not to mention the name of Ato Boldon your training partner. I read several months ago that Boldon called the 100 meters “a choreographed dance routine.” How do you view the 100 meters?

Maurice Greene: I would say it’s about the same, because it takes a lot of concentration and a lot of practice to perfect something that is so beautiful to watch. I would also like to say it is poetry in motion.

From Joseph Hegba in Miami: Did you have to improve your flexibility to get faster? How important is breathing in the 100 meter-dash? Do you breathe in to accelerate and breathe out to relax at different intervals during the race?

Maurice Greene: Breathing is very important because you cannot hold your breath for 100 meters. You have to pick and choose where you want to breathe. As far as flexibility, you don’t have to be a gymnast, but just as long as you stretch enough to where you won’t get hurt. A sprinter wants his muscles to be kind of tight.

From open: Does the cooler weather expected in Edmonton concern you at all?

Maurice Greene: No, not at all. I have no control over the weather, therefore I don’t think about anything that I don’t have control over.

From Don Olivett in Emporium, Pa.: What percentage of your sprinting ability do you give towards having a positive mental attitude? Do you consider yourself the strongest both physically and mentally in every race? Stay focused, maintain your confidence and have fun!

Maurice Greene: I would say it’s like 65 percent mental because when you’re running on this level, almost all the athletes have the same ability. But the mind is much stronger and whoever has the strongest mind and doesn’t let any outside things bother them has a much better chance of winning.

From skram10: Hey, is Michael Johnson your friend, or do you see him as another person’s record you want to beat in the 200 meters?

Maurice Greene: Both! Just because I compete against a person doesn’t mean I don’t have to be friends with them. Ato Boldon and I are friends, but as soon as we step on the track, we’re competitors.

From nine-seven-nine: Mo, how much lower can the world record go? I mean can you beat 9.79?

Maurice Greene: Of course I can. My coach says I can run 9.6, so we’ll see what happens.

From Alfonso L. Peterson in Renton, Wash.: I am a 100-200 meter sprinter, and there are a lot of us that feel here in the U.S. that track is a dying sport. As a world class sprinter, do you feel that you have any responsibility to keep our sport alive in the U.S. and to try to bring it to the forefront as far as sports go? If so, how do you intend to do it?

Maurice Greene: Of course I believe I have a responsibility to do that. I feel that every time we run in the states we have to give the best performance we can so people can see the real beauty of the sport. I believe it’s coming back, but it’s going to take a little longer to get it to one of the top sports in the U.S. But I believe it has the potential.

From Ken Parker in Ottawa, Ontario: What do you think of the new false start rule?

Maurice Greene: They haven’t made a new false start rule as of yet, they’re just discussing it. Because now they’re talking about giving one person one false start, and whoever false starts after that is out of the race.

From nbafan23: Happy Birthday! I was wondering what events are you running in the Goodwill Games?

Maurice Greene: I’m going to run the 100 meters and the 4 x 100-meter relay.

From Kenny Mac in Oakland, Calif.: I know you have retained a lot of knowledge and technique from John Smith over these last five years, but everybody knows about the infamous “drive phase” in the 100 meters. My question is how difficult was it to master that technique with your added power and speed?

Maurice Greene: Well, to tell how difficult it is to master, I haven’t mastered it yet. I’m still looking for perfection.

From Woody: Have you run on the Edmonton track yet? Do you know if it is a “hard” surface that favors sprinters?

Maurice Greene: No, I haven’t ran on it, but I know it is a Mondo surface. Which will be very good for sprinters.

From Dante Bonett in Peru: Why do most sprinters not eat red meat? Is it good or bad? What could be a good diet for a sprinter?

Maurice Greene: I can only speak for myself. A good diet for sprinters is something very high in protein, because you need more protein than carbohydrates to sprint.

From Justin: Are you looking forward to running where track and field all started in Athens, Greece?

Maurice Greene: Of course, I love running in Greece. Greece is where I won my first world record title, and where I broke my 100-meter world record. Athens has been very good to me.

From Doogie: Yo Mo, do you now regret preening in front of the cameras at the Olympics after the negative reaction you received after you won the 4 x 100 meters?

Maurice Greene: No, I don’t regret anything that I have done. I may be sorry for it, but I have no regrets. We went through a lot to get to that point – to win the gold medal in the Olympics. We were just acting on how good we felt.

From JC: If all the legends were in their prime, and you were racing them in the present, who would be your greatest challenge?

Maurice Greene: I’ve always said my greatest challenge would be myself. I stick to what I am doing and not worrying about any other competitor. I challenge myself.

From Julius Bruce in Olathe, Kan.: Do you remember when we (Olathe North High School) gave you and Schlagle a run for your money at state in 1993. And do you every feel the pressure of being in the spot light all the time.

Maurice Greene: Of course, you feel the pressure of being in the spotlight sometimes. But I feel I am a good person, and I don’t need to worry about how I act. And yes, I do remember that race.

From molstud0358: Who did you look up too when you were a kid? was it an Olympic athlete or a different pro athlete?

Maurice Greene: My brother. I looked up to my brother Ernest because I could talk with him, hit him and run away from him if I wanted to. I have affiliation with my brother, and he was doing a lot of great things when I was growing up. I just wanted to be better than my brother when I was growing up.

From Maurice: Maurice, how long do you see yourself continuing in the sport?

Maurice Greene: As long as the good Lord lets me.

From Trackfan: Maurice, who do you see as the next big runner in sprinting, Mark Lewis-Francis of Great Britain?

Maurice Greene: Lewis Francis has great potential, but you never know who is going to come next. It could be him, and it could not be. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

CNNSI Host: That’s all the time we have today with Maurice Greene.
Maurice, thanks for joining us and good luck at the world championships and the Goodwill Games.

Maurice Greene: Thank you!

Exactly. I like it and I won’t stop it! In fact I see its quite healthy to me. If anyone out there doesn’t like it then they can forget about eating it. I guess this ends the issue. Cause I’m sure that these who are trying to convince others not to eat it won’t help it much! So there’s no use arguing. Just eat it or not. I’ll eat it everytime I feel like it! :smiley:

How a frozen, pre-packaged, nuked/fried, mayonase covered chemical experiment can taste better than a real meal like sirloin steak, baked potato and fresh greens baffles me.

I was just in sacramento at the u.s. olympic trials and while I can’t speak for maurice greene I can say that terrence trammel and darvis patton were in line behind me a couple days before their race eating some burgers and fries (not from mcd’s).

Eating chocolate before bed is an old East German tactic to load up before comp day- then eat nothing on the comp day.

You´re right and you know why ?
Because when a elite sprinter reach a 10 flat level, he think:
Well, if i´m already fast eating all what i want,
let´s see how fast i can run cutting all those bullsh eat

If it looks like that to you, then don’t eat it. You’ll become much healthier than me by then :wink: Good Luck :smiley: