MO'S TIME IS UP, SAYS MICHAEL JOHNSON

Aths: Greene’s glory days over says Michael Johnson ATHSGREEN
By Steve Keating
MONTE CARLO, May 20 Reuters - Olympic and worldchampion Maurice Greene’s time as the world’s fastestman is over for good, according to five-times Games goldmedallist Michael Johnson.
Despite surrendering his 100 metres world record tofellow-American Tim Montgomery last year, Greenepredicts he will reclaim the mark this season.
But Johnson, world 200 and 400 record holder, believesMontgomery’s record of 9.78 seconds will withstand allassaults this season.
You have to look at it realistically, his (Greene's)career has been unbelievable, no guy stays on top thatlong in the 100 but...it's over,'' Johnson told Reuterstoday. Not that he still won’t have some good racesbut it’s over him dominating. I can’t see it happening.
He's going to have some fast races but he's notgoing to dominate anymore. Guys now realise he can bebeaten.'' In his first race of the season in Eugene, Oregon atthe weekend Greene finished third in 10.33 seconds. But Greene, 28, was still satisfied with his effortpredicting that he would reclaim his world record andwin the 100 and 200 metres at the Paris worldchampionships. The showdown between Greene and Montgomery is expectedto provide the highlight in Paris but Johnson does notsee the showcase event ending in an American sweep ofthe top two places. With Montgomery still searching for a full-time coachand his partner Marion Jones about to give birth to thecouple's first child, Johnson believes he has too manydistractions in his life. Montgomery and Green could very well not even medalat the world championships,’’ said Johnson, who is inMonte Carlo for the Laureus Sports Awards. Montgomeryhas a coaching crisis trying to find someone to coachhim, Greene still isn't back to the form he was and maynever get back there. I think we’d all be setting ourselves up for somehuge disappointment to start talking about a hugeshowdown between Montgomery and Greene.
I would actually bet against those two guys goinggold and silver, I think there are other guys in therewho can break it up. One of those guys might get a gold or a silver butthey won’t be one-two. And I don’t see a world recordthis year.
``I think it’s going to keep falling but probably nextyear. Most of the guys who are running well right nowhave other issues going on.’’
Reuters gjw :shoot: