Money made from sprinting?

I’m curious to know approximately how much money Maurice Greene, Ato Boldon and Dennis Mitchell made out of the sport. Does anyone have any idea? I’m guessing that Mo would have made enough money to never have to worry about working a regular job for the rest of his life. Not sure about Ato & Dennis.

I don’t know the figures but Ato made good money himself. He has been a pro for many years and from the looks of his life (i.e. aviation hobbies, porsche cars) he’s pretty set. I think he still works (for fun) as a commentator. I know NFL commentators who were once athletes can make around 2-300k a year.

But yea, the money aspect is a whole different ball game. It’s great to make millions over a decade, and because of that, people think you are set, but many times it’s not true because many of these guys have many kids with different women (and the women sue for child support), big homes with big taxes and maintenance, along with spending money on depreciating assets like 400k cars for example… So many of these guys wind up broke in the end; or close to it.

This is one thing I like about HSI, they seem to be real good with managing money. I wish they offered wealth management classes, and I know right where they are in IRVINE Ca, my old stomping ground.

http://hellobeautiful.com/special-features/hello-beautiful-staff/top-model-sues-nfls-braylon-edwards-for-child-support/

Do you think that Dennis Mitchell would have made more than 1 million dollars over his 10 years in the sport? I’m more interested to know how much the guys who were right up there but not quite there made as opposed to those who were right at the top like Mo & Ato.
Btw, out of interest, do you know how many kids Mo has to how many women?

Last I herd Mo has one girl. As far as the other guys like D Mitchell, I don’t know. I would like to know myself as people are mysteriously silent once you talk about making money in this sport.

You know, I would like to think that the people who visit this form are all trying to be world class contenders (or at least training some hopefuls) and it would be nice to have some guidelines. I mean if I ran a 10.2 hand time at the track can I just call up an agent or what? I only know HSI in this country that I can call but they are a PRIVATE company so it’s not like they are open to offer help to everybody.

sigh Distance runners have it much easier, they have more chances to race per state and they have so many clubs that can help you advance to the next level. The US is pretty much anti sprinting!

There are a few clubs in the US that I know of specifically but I’m not sure if they would allow you to train with them probono. Your best bet might be to train with a coach at one of the Universities that have a very respectable program but as far as the financial situation is concerned, that’s a whole other issue. I know Europe has a circuit system that most of the runners use to make money but once again, how to get on the circuit is a mystery to me. If anybody knows more info please post!

first of all, for a US athlete to compete in europe you must have good performances and further more if you place in nationals you will be sought after ONLY if you have a good manager who will look after the business side. on thing with SMTC was…if carl was competing its all or nothing- his team would compete also as in leroy,mark,mike floyd etc etc. he had the power and made the most of it :cool:

Well I found a few companies that represent sprinters so that’s not a problem I see (even got Rubert here on the forum), the thing is, here in my state (Pa) there are NO track meets to get competition or exposure. I even remember John Drummond talking about it.

My only hope is to run good hand times at the track and then call a few contacts I know in Cali and hope for the best, otherwise this sport is just going to turn into a hobby which is just fine as I LOVE to sprint and my god it’s keeping me is unbelievable shape! I’m 31 now but I feel and look 22. :slight_smile:

Oh and world class, I would love to run in Europe circuit too! Must be fun to be able to be able make a living by doing that… Hell, I would do it for free (well, at least until I started winning)!

Edit: X-man your post reminded me that I was going to make post about clubs but I will just say it here in that I think sprinters have more power when the are together in a club rather going into meets alone. It’s not only, “hay, it’s all if us or the top guy is not running,” but also, you go in as a TEAM just like in High school or collage and I think (well at least for me) I would have just a bit more confidence going into the meet because all my teammates are with me too. I mean, as much as I love to run, some days you just don’t feel like running, but when you see a teammate busting is ass you get excited and STEP UP by feeding off their energy. I sometimes think of guys like Mike Johnson and I wonder how they were able to keep their spirits up when it was just him and his coach going at it alone against the whole world.

No track meets in the PA area? How about Penn State national invite (indoors), Penn Relays, plus Armory and Icahn in NYC? PA/Mid-Atlantic is one of the better regions for track in the US.

Oh, I mean, year around like California, the track and field season here in Pa is so short, and there are no summer meets or anything. This state is all about distance running, field hockey and football, that’s it.

I don’t know how long the forum saves posts, but I remember a good discussion on this from back in 2002 or 2003, with some actual numbers on the money earned by each place in European track meets.