MMA - Uncensored

not sure why you think that. gsp has dominated the best ground fighters 170 has to offer. i dont think theres anyone out there who has the skillset to beat st. pierre.

Yes, Georges has a complete skill set, more so than any WW in the UFC, maybe the world. Fitch is a good wrestler with good submission defense, but I think Georges can take him in that department. The only problem I see with Fitch is his size, I saw an old video of him fighting Jake Shields and he must have been 200lbs+. Fitch may be 170 at the weigh ins, but come fight time, he will be way heavier probably closer to 190.

Heard Spider was moving down to WW. GSP better get ready to be TKO.

Really, I heard GSP might move up to MW to fight him, which would be a huge mistake IMO. There’s still some good fights a WW for him, Fitch, Alves, a rematch with Penn maybe. If only they could sign Jake Shields.

GSP should dominated WW before stepping up.

ive met silva. theres no way he could make 170 anymore.

a lot of people overestimate fighters sizes. i highly doubt any welterweight is over 190 come fight time, with the exception of joe riggs. fitch is tall, but not really all that thick.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of amateur boxing lately( my hands are frickin sore) and I notice guys around my height 5’9 usually fight at 72kg ( 160) , I am currently 80 or 176, obviously I could get down to 77 or 170 for super middle weight division. But ideally middleweight would be better weight division. Finding the right wt class is never easy, if you cut too much weight you feel weak but if you don’t than you face larger opponents.

True lightweights have no chance in the UFC, most lightweight fighters are around 5’10 to 6’2 in the UFC.

did you confuse weight classes? mma fighters are a lot thicker than boxers. mma lightweights (155) are usually 5’6" to 5’9". sherk and serra are 5’6". franca is 5’7" i think and so is guida and stevenson. gomi is 5’8" and so is penn. there are taller ones, but they usually havent had the same success.

thats too true. im about your size, 5’9" 175. ideally i would be able to weigh in at 163 the day before the fight, but there isnt a weight class like that in mma. im too big for 155 and too small for 170. in boxing its easier because there are so many more wight classes, but im sure its still hard.

Those guys are very thick lightweights.

Many more wt classes in boxing, but its still hard to find the right one. MMA need to change WT classes. MMA should add one wt divisions.

LW 155
ww 170
MW 185

too

LW 150
WW 165
LMW 175
MW 185

I agree, he would be better off moving up to LHW. I still think he could beat Rampage. Though there are some MW fights out there for him, if the UFC brings them in.

UFC 84-

Oritiz almost got the late submission. Macida very hard guy to tag. Rampage v Wanderlie- that’s the fight I want to see. Dana got something hard thinking to do.

Sherk v BJ - bad tactical fight by Sherk, he should have pursued the takedown from round one.

I thought so too, I was thinking the whole time, why doesn’t he go for the takedown? Then I heard Sherk’s post-fight comments, he said he was waiting until BJ gassed, then he would take him down at will in the later rounds. Plus he said B.J. is so good on the ground he might as well trade awhile and use his improved standup skills. Big mistake. Sherk is fast and explosive but B.J. is just faster or anticipates better, plus Sherk’s short arms just kept landing too far away, B.J.'s movement (especially his head) was too good, and that left jab scored all day. It shows you how much respect he had for B.J.'s ground game that he was afraid to take him down, he only tried one half-hearted attempt.

I don’t see any LW’s with a serious chance against B.J. Maybe Florian (I think) has the best chance, and that’s a very slim chance at best. I think Huerta’s style is perfect for B.J., he’s mainly a wrestler (and we’ve seen what B.J. does to wrestlers) who likes to trade punches, but his hands are slow, B.J. will maul him in the standup.

I think Sherk was trying to win over the crowd by standing up. Now BJ is far from world class in the stand up game. He reach and timing made Sherk look bad. But BJ against world class K1 fighters in the stand up. He would get his ass kicked.

Sherk’s continuing to stand with BJ is a classic example of a fighter thinking what he is doing is working when it clearly isn’t. His corner needed to tell him to try something else. I really don’t know why he’d try and bang with a guy who is clearly faster with both hands and feet. Was his strategy to get BJ tired from hitting him so much?

Lol, who knows? That left hook he kept throwing just kept missing. At the break I heard his cornerman tell him to follow with a right, but either it wasn’t working or Sean wasn’t listening. I wonder if he hurt his right hand, he kept shaking it out?

Yeah, a K1 fighter could take out most MMA guys in standup. Even Sherk scored a couple of times with leg kicks. But in the UFC, B.J. has the best hands at LW, maybe in LW period. He went toe-to-toe with Takonori Gomi, who is one of the best LW strikers, and I would even say he was getting the better of Gomi, before choking him out.

Quote:
UFC 84 by the numbers
By Rami Genauer/FightMetric.com
May 26, 12:47 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintIf you watched UFC 84 then you saw some things that rarely happen. Let’s start with the main event.

BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk

If you watched this fight, you saw what was probably the most effective use of the jab in MMA history. BJ Penn stood and used Sean Sherk’s face like a speed bag, connecting on 81 jabs from striking distance in three rounds. Of the hundreds of fights in FightMetric’s database – a representative sample of MMA fights as a whole – no fighter has ever landed more than 60 jabs in 15 minutes. This speaks more to Penn’s unique strategy than to anything else. No one else has ever sat back so patiently, picking away shot after shot. Most fighters who are able to land jabs at will open up and go in for the power strikes that put fighters away. Penn only saw fit to go for the kill with eight seconds left in the third round.

It’s hard to blame him for choosing what he did. Penn connected with the jab 70% of the time (81 of 115 attempts). The average accuracy rate is 35%, making Penn twice as accurate with his jab as the typical fighter. If you can make that work, you may as well stick with it.

Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz

If you watched this fight, you saw the extremely rare occurrence of an upper-echelon fighter scoring zero points in a full round. In the first round of the fight, Tito Ortiz attempted 18 strikes and two takedowns. He landed none of them. In fact, it took Ortiz a full eight minutes before he landed his first significant offensive technique. FightMetric awards points for effectiveness based on the historical quality of techniques landed. In the first round, Machida out-pointed Ortiz 41-0. In the second round, it was 62-2.

During this fight, you also saw the rare occurrence where a single body shot led to a knockdown, but didn’t lead to a knockout. As it stands, body shots rarely put guys down, but when they do, it’s usually curtains for the dropped fighter. Fans of the body shot will remember David Loiseau’s spinning back kick against Charles McCarthy and Melvin Guillard’s body punch against Gabe Ruediger. Both of those were immediately followed-up with hard strikes on the ground that resulted in a TKO. In this fight, Machida landed a hard knee to the liver that knocked Ortiz down. Credit Ortiz with the toughness to not only stave off the ensuing attack, but recover enough to nearly submit Machida less than two minutes later.

Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry

If you watched this fight, you saw a fighter achieve a perfect performance rating without throwing a single strike. FightMetric’s Total Performance Rating (TPR) is a statistic used to measure the quality of a fighter’s performance. Scored on a scale between 0-100, TPR provides an easy way to measure and compare performance in any fight, whether 30 seconds or 30 minutes long. Think of TPR for MMA fighters what the NFL’s Passer Rating is for quarterbacks.

Rousimar Palhares got a perfect rating of 100 by submitting Salaverry in under three minutes. In that time Palhares scored a takedown, passes to side, mount, and back, and then worked for a rear-naked choke and the fight-ending armbar. On a night where Wanderlei Silva let his fists lead him to perfection, it was interesting to watch a fighter with elite Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu be able to do the same.

Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Jon Koppenhaver

If you watched this fight, you saw a submission that few try and even fewer complete. Yoshiyuki Yoshida’s submission of Jon Koppenhaver was only the fourth successful anaconda choke in UFC history. The UFC did not have a successful anaconda choke for the first 12 years of its existence, until Randy Couture submitted Mike Van Arsdale at UFC 54. Yoshida now joins Couture, Renato “Babalu” Sobral, and Dustin Hazelett in this elite club.

Full TPR Data for UFC 84

In the list below, the first number next to the fighter’s name is his Total Performance Rating (TPR). The second number is the differential between his TPR and his opponent’s TPR. Rating differential is a good measure of how close the fight was.

Wanderlei Silva: 100, (+100)
Yoshiyuki Yoshida: 100, (+100)
Rousimar Palhares: 100, (+99)
Shane Carwin: 98, (+82)
Thiago Silva: 95, (+54)
BJ Penn: 91, (+66)
Goran Reljic: 84, (+34)
Rameau Sokoudjou: 72, (+59)
Lyoto Machida: 59, (+33)
Wilson Gouveia: 50, (-34)
Antonio Mendes: 41, (-54)
Tito Ortiz: 26, (-33)