MJ: 5 1stRd NFL Draft Pix

Michael Johnson Performance Produces a Program Record Five First-Round Draft Picks

Olympian’s NFL Combine Preparation Camp Trains Top Running Back for Second Straight Year

DALLAS, April 25 /PRNewswire/ – As the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft drew to a close today, Olympic Gold Medalist and World Record Holder Michael Johnson had reason to be proud. His nationally ranked NFL Combine and Pro Day training camp produced a program best five first-round picks, including the Draft’s overall No. 10 pick, Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree (San Francisco 49ers). And for the second straight year, Johnson trained the Draft’s No. 1 running back - Georgia’s Knowshon Moreno, selected 12th overall by the Denver Broncos. (Last year, Johnson trained Arkansas’ Darren McFadden, selected fourth overall by the Oakland Raiders.)

“Michael’s approach to training was different from anything I’d experienced before, and it clearly paid off for me today,” Moreno said. “Having someone of his stature working with me hands-on, every day is an amazing experience, and I really appreciate his support and faith in me. I know the things I learned there will continue to benefit my career for many years to come.”

Other Johnson “alumni” selected in today’s first round were tight end Brandon Pettigrew (Oklahoma State, No. 20 by the Detroit Lions); offensive tackle Michael Oher (Ole Miss, No. 23 by the Baltimore Ravens); and defensive tackle Peria Jerry (Ole Miss, No. 24 by the Atlanta Falcons).

“Preparing these young men for the NFL Combine and the Draft is a complex process crammed into a few short weeks,” Michael Johnson said. “These guys worked hard and entrusted us to prepare them for one of the most important moments in their career. Our entire staff is proud and gratified to know that we were all successful and that all of our hard work has paid off.”

Each January, the Michael Johnson Performance Center (MJPC) welcomes an elite group of college football players for a 6-week training program that prepares the athletes for the physical and mental tests they will face at the NFL Scouting Combine and/or their university’s respective Pro Days. In addition, the MJPC staff offers interview skills training, physical therapy and nutrition counseling.

NFL sports agent Sean Howard, who represents Brandon Pettigrew, suggested Johnson’s program to his client because of its training expertise, facilities and location. He also stressed that because of increased NFL evaluation of Combine performance - both physical and mental - specialized training programs like the one offered by MJPC are a must for any top prospect.

“I had complete confidence in Michael and his staff because they understand that it takes more than great football skills to succeed in the NFL.” Howard said. “While their training program targets Combine preparation, they also train these young men for life as a professional athlete on the national stage.”

About Michael Johnson Performance

Since his retirement from competitive track and field in 2001, Olympic Gold Medalist and World Record Holder Michael Johnson has used the training and competition philosophy he developed during his career to help more than 50 top draft prospects prepare for the NFL Scouting Combine including Ladainian Tomlinson, Tony Romo, Roy Williams, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Mark Colombo, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. In 2007, Johnson founded the Michael Johnson Performance Center, a state-of-the-art sports performance training center at Craig Ranch in McKinney, Texas. The center, sponsored by Nike, helps both aspiring youth athletes and elite/professional athletes reach their athletic potential by improving speed, power, agility, strength and conditioning. For more information, visit www.michaeljohnsonperformance.com.

SOURCE Michael Johnson Performance

B.S…??..the players are built in 3-4 years by their S&C…and someone takes the fame and glory for just 6 weeks?
Not too fiar for the poor college coaches…for sure, MJ has helped…but how much is just tickering and rest from football practice?

I don’t know MJ’s program, but even if improvement does come from reducing workload before the combine, at least he knows to do that much, instead of burying guys under a ton of lactic work.

Even though the prospect is already identified by years of previous work, it can all be UN-done in a few weeks if the camp goes over the top. We’ve seen a clear example of that on the forum recently.
I have worked with a number of NFL players who had gone first round out of college, and, interestingly, the top guys didn’t seem to deal with these tests.
I asked my two highest ranking receivers what their 40y times were coming into the league and both said they never did it. They were being drafted for what was already known about them.
One of them ran track in college but the football team forced him off the track team as a junior because they were afraid of an injury, even though he’d never had a problem on the track.

I dont think it matters much, most of those camps are getting the top knotch players so obviously they will perform well, and as charlie stated, many teams draft according to their actual playing.

It still matters alot because these camps could injure them at the last minute. The Cowboys sent a guy up here once who’d been injured during a Speed camp. ( I get a number that are sent up here for repairs after these camps)
He was 6ft 1in and 335lbs and had run 4.7 in the 40y. They had him run another and he pulled his hamstring.
He blamed himself but I think they should have stopped him after he scored such an exceptional run for his size on the first try.
The natural instinct is to get carried away after knowing your time and really try to put one out of the park, which is never going to lead to anything good!!

Or they want to make sure it wasn’t a “fluke”, which is just stupid.