Millrose: Devers 1st, Mo falls

NEW YORK, Feb 2, 2007 (AFP) - Gail Devers turned back the clock at the Millrose Games on Friday, capturing the 60m hurdles title 15 years after her first triumph here and less than two years after the birth of her daughter.
Devers, 40, quipped that ``40 is the new 20.’’

She showed she wasn’t joking, however, as she won in 7.86sec, the fastest time in the world this year, with 2004 Olympic 100m hurdles champion Joanna Hayes second in 7.93.
Danielle Carruthers, who is coached and managed by Devers, was third in 7.94, and former world indoor and outdoor champion Perdita Felicien of Canada fourth.

I wanted to come back at 40 and do something great for my fans, for the people who supported me having a baby, saying please don't retire,'' Devers said. I say 40 is the new 20. I honestly believe that. My body responds that way.’’
Devers said she was just as excited for Carruthers.
I wanted her to go under (eight seconds), and she went under,'' Devers said, adding that she hadn't made any plans for the rest of the season. This is the one race I said I would run, the 100th Millrose Games. I suppose if somebody calls and says I have to have you in this race, and if the money was right, I would probably do it.’’
Maurice Greene, also virtually absent from the track last year, had a less welcome return, as he stumbled in the 60m.
The former 100m world record-holder made a blistering start but took a misstep several meters in.
As Greene went down, 2004 Olympic 200m gold medalist Shawn Crawford surged in the final 20 meters of the race to win his second race of the Visa Championship series in 6.56 seconds
. Larone Clark was second in 6.64.
I thought I had a pretty good start,'' said Greene, who actually walked over the line in 27.70 seconds. I had a lot of adrenaline going at the beginning of the race. At the start, there’s a little dip in the track. I guess I missed a step and I couldn’t recover. I thought ‘uh, oh, I’m going down.’ It happens. I’ve only been doing block starts for a week and a half now.’’

In the women’s 60m, Angela Daigle-Bowen posted a convincing victory in 7.25sec over Marshevet Hooker (7.32).

Bernard Lagat won the fabled Wanamaker Mile, but Commonwealth Games champion Craig Mottram of Australia made him work for it.

Lagat took the lead at the halfway stage, with Mottram sprinting to the front with four laps to go.
Mottram clung to the lead as the bell sounded for the final lap, but the two-time Olympic 1,500m medalist Lagat managed to pass him on the backstretch and win in 3:54.26.
I wasn't going to give up that easily,'' said Lagat. Mottram really makes his presence felt when he’s in front.’’

Mottram was second in an Australian record 3:54.81, with Chris Lukezic third in 4:01.48.

Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva, competing on US soil for the first time won the women’s pole vault with leap of 4.82m. In a three-way tie for second were April Steiner, Fabiana Murer of Brazil and Jenn Stuczynski, all at 4.53m.
It was the one and only appearance she’ll make on this American trip.
She’ll fly home Saturday to resume competition on the European indoor circuit, all preparation for the World Outdoor Championships in late August in Osaka.
She called the whole experience fun - because the competition was so nice.'' The spectators were so warm and friendly. The support was so good. I felt good from the beginning, but then I had some fouls (misses) and I got a little bit tired.
``The big time diffeence between New York and Russia makes me a little bit sleepy.’’

Things were closer in the men’s pole vault, where American Brad Walker narrowly edged Australian Steve Hooker, both of them recording vaults of 5.80m.

Tirunesh Dibaba, the 21-year-old Ethiopian distance running sensation - already a three-time World cross country champion and the 5,000/10,000-meter double champion of the 2005 World Outdoor Championships, had an impressive Millrose debut.
For the first time, the Millrose schedule included a women’s distance race of more than a mile and Dibaba took full advantage of the opportunity by racing to a runaway 8:46.58 triumph in the 3,000 meters.
Waving an Ethiopian flag presented to her moments after the victory, she gave thanks to the countrymen who cheered her on.
I feel great joy when I see them (Ethiopians) in the stands,'' she said. The moral support they give me makes me very happy. It helps a great deal.’’

her performance was awesome, im so happy for her - shes always been an awesome athlete/person.

mo is back!

he just needs some blessing.