Michigan Madness

My apologizes, I never saw that article. I do know that Reiderer who they talk about in the article was horrible. I also know his assistant as he was my college strength coach for a year and about the same reputation as his boss.

I can also confirm that the weightroom empressario was a lazy shit who hung out in his cubicle with an equally lazy shit from the physio room, who not only didn’t do the therapy job but actively obstructed those of us who were brought in to clean up his mess of injuries.

Charlie, was this an NFL team?

Tom

Sorry tc, I was talking about american football, positions along the offensive line. I’m not sure how familiar you are with the game, but the RG and RT I spoke of were the right guard and right tackle positions, which my alma mater replaced both starters prior to last season. Their backups were unable to play their way on the field in three previous seasons.

“Rushing” refers to yards gained by carrying the ball forward on the ground. Generally speaking, teams with high amounts of rushing yards have strong, quick players on the offensive line.

My ultimate point was that one year after dumping sHIT, Michigan State suddenly had great offensive line play. Same coaches (save S&C), but actually less talented players.

Hope this helps.

Also, Georgia Tech isn’t, thank God. I played there during the time we were national champs and our program was based on cleans, squats, and the bench. Funny thing is now I’m in Jacksonville and training at Velocity Sports Performance, where some of the coaches and former coaches train athletes there. The Jags are a HIT team and so are these strength coaches. I just got into a big argument over there with the head trainer over it, and I don’t let them come near me when it comes to weights (I just use the bumper plates for Olympic movements). Before the new coach came in, the Jags went to the playoffs. Now? Yeah right.

Yes. Common sense can prevail if given a chance.

Sadly, yes it was.

You know then that Al was a pioneer with free weights for football training when he was with the Super Bowl 49ers before he went to the Chicago Bulls (funny how championships seemed to follow him around isn’t it).

Gotta agree here. From speaking with Nomad and reading some of Al’s literature it is safe to say the he is the real deal. The guy is at the top of the field and most of all, everything he does is LOGICAL.
But, to take your statement about championships following Al a step further, isn’t it funny how injuries seem to follow the HIT guys? Yet, no one seems to put 2 and 2 together. Administrators just seem to turn the cheek. And as you said, you always hear coaches say, “we had a string of bad luck, blah blah blah” Anyone who takes the time to dig can see the correlation between the two.

Jeff, glad to see you are posting here. Nice job in spreading the word on the other board-even if it’s not your team. What kind of feedback have you gotten about the program as it exists now, anything? NCB/NCMAIZE-Joel.

Not a lot. The only one I knew on the inside was a walkon and has since graduated.

I need to make a call or two.

I pretty much became a pariah a couple of years ago when I went off on one of the assistants in a chatroom for saying that TJ Duckett could bench 960 pounds or some ridiculous shit. He extrapolated that number from his 225 test at the combine.

Some of these dudes are unbelievable.

BTW, TJ left campus to train for the combines immediately after the season.

I guess I could call too. I tried once last fall but could not make the connection with him. Duckett was benching near 400 or so coming out of h.s. right? I remember he threw the 12 lb.shot 69 ft and change and was one of the leading in the nation his senior year, if not the leader. I got into an arguement about the MSU HIT deal about 3-4 years ago and one of his arguements put up by the other guy was based on T.J.‘s abilty to bench 400-450 and I pointed out that I believed he ENTERED the program with something similar. I still wonder what’s up with the coaches’ roster on the MSU athletics site where the official titles have changed over the last 8-10 months, the order used to be Mannie and then Hoke and now it’s switched. Also, they have yet to put Tommy’s bio at that spot-don’t know if it is posted somewhere else.

Working for Al was the greatest professional experience in my short career.

Your right Charlie, if you look at the methods most good strength coaches do these days (gound based) and look at what Al does it’s very familiar. The kicker is Al was doing it 25 years ago when it wasn’t as mainstream, actually with the nautalis craze of the 80’s it was probably very obsure in those days.

You can read about this in the article on the front page of the site. How Al brought about a renaissance of free weights and how HIT has brought about the current descent into a new “Dark Age” in the American training room.

Even Christina likes Michigan…definitly not a product of HIT…

that’s Michigan State, but, hey! Who cares?!

Go State! :smiley:

Go Blue!!! Good luck.

When I used to work at Velocity Sports Performance (I am now a college strength coach at a small DII school) the head trainer was the NY Giants X Strength coach and went to grad. school at Penn State. He was a huge believer in HIT. We had numerous “discussions” about his methods. What it boiled down to was the reason he used high intensity was ironically to keep guys from getting injured. Time efficency, and it was really the only thing he said can be done in season when you have over 50 guys in the gym at the same time working out I think he said twice a week.
Thoughts?
Are the majority of NFL Teams HIT?

A S & C coach is one Variable. A head coach is another, offensive coordinater another, being a skill player like Jerry Rice (while being average NFL speed or below) another, work ethic another, nutrition another, genetic makeup yet another. So far that is 7 variables, I could go on but you get the point. And that point is that you will always have anomolies no matter how bad a program is. I was a teamate of Shawn Horcoff in soccer before he made it to the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers. Shawn’s Dad had connections and I believe that got him in on the UM or Michigan State hockey team afterwards the NHL! Shawn was never really a talented player either, just good work ethic [maybe that is what the Scouts were looking for and I guess HIT is a program that can show that, gees, now I am playing devils advocate!]. So as you can see, average players with bad S & C coaches can still make the elite level. Speaking of NFL, does anyone know who the Patriots S & C is?

I guess it comes down to, an Ignoramus meets
good marketing meets a desperate team meets an opportunity! People are always looking for the next best thing or gizmo. Hence the new ab machince every 6 months! Yet, year after year, the crap sells! You will never see a scientic or statistical study being carried out by the HIT people bc if it does then that means there are out of a job! I am saying HIT people are ignorant bc they have been taught a way and its been brainwashed into them that for them to actually spend time to learn something new or old that contradicts everything they have learned in past could mean actually spending more money on education and learning(which requires the mental energy to do so) and throwing out the last 5 years of their life. Most people don’t like change and sometimes these same people would rather be ignorant bc they don’t want to go against the status quo. When I went to the Al Vermeil Seminar in Vancouver, I was intrigued to findout that with all his knowledge Al was still learning at his age and even from people as young as 25!

I know this is the new millenium but brainwashing will always take place. Remember the Salem Witchhunt trials. Also, how about the sugar companies who used to tell people 100-200 years ago that sugar was actually good for their teeth! As well, the U.S.A military was actually the launchpad for smoking!Nowadays however, the marketing has become ruthless. If HIT gets shot down, sure enough there will be another new craze just like those ab machines that sell and a new one comes along every 6 months! How about all those teleavangelists that continously scam people out of their lifesavings or believing in MIRICALE WATER, bless that good old Billy Graham. The unfortunate situation with S & C coaches is that a head coach or a University have a much harder time in identifying what works and what doesn’t. Yes, to the people on this forum the answer seems clear cut but you have to remember that although the Head Coach maybe a smart NFL coach (in terms of calling plays and game theory) who might know very little in weightlifting/sprinting/plyometrics/OL; then, a
talented marketer/bullshitter comes along with just enough info to make the Head Coach believe that he, “trained Ben Johnson, WOW (i.e. JD)”. At which point, the decision to hire in somes cases becomes automatic.

All I can say is that as a S & C coach you have to be a better marketer then your competition and guarantee results that you can back up (i.e. previous clients and there improvements since you started working with them 40y times, 1RM bench press, 1RM Squats) that you know the HIT guys can’t! I am currently training to become a Personal Trainer just so I can get that certification to get jobs and market myself better. One of the interesting things is that the Actual Personal Trainer course has a section devoted to marketing! The funny thing is that the entire 5 PT courses is going to cost around 1000 dollars and a University education costs around 70,000 dollars. A person can do all the courses in 3 months and have the same chance to get jobs and the same income then your average University grad even if the grad student knows more! I’m not saying unversity is not worth going to, but its pretty ridiculous when a person can take 5 courses or 1 semester and can make just as much if not more then the average university kinesieology grad student. Remember I am talking about a cost benefit anaylsis for the average PT and kineseology grad student. Maybe this is how HIT was invented, from Personal Trainers? :eek: