Men's 400m

10.7, 9.8, 10.5, 12.0

Speed reserve is king.

MJs 10.4 split for the 3rd 100 would barely do any damage to WVN’s split.
Crazy.

Wayde Van Niekerk 400m world/Olympic record: you could sort of see this coming as a result of his love for the short sprints(1&2), if you listen to his interviews. Then he also has one of the longest strides ever in the history of sub 20sprinters. Next he then takes his speed down to the 100m and gets sub 10 there, and again has one of the longest strides ever in the history of the sub10 100m sprinters.

Comparing him to his 400m competitors(Koranic James), yeah sure James has the same stride length over 400m, but no where near the same power output(landing stiffness patterns conjunction with collapsing footstrikes, in the 400m). Is it the ankles and sensory perception or the back and the infinite patterns stemming from the brain stem. I don’t think anyone really knows lol

Well oh well. Wasn’t that some shit.

I had my money on James with a 43.5 and Merritt second at 43.7 but looks like we have a new king. Not sure why I discredited him after that crazy performance at the World Championships but wow. Shows that speed is king. Let’s not forget his the only man in history to go sub 10, sub 20 and sub 44. Only person I’ve ever seen run down the homestretch like that aside from MJ was Wariner.

Now, I’d love to see a thread on in regards to his coaches training methods. Would be cool to get her when she’s not babysitting her great grand kids. =)

Wayde’s PR’s

100 metres – 9.98 sec (2016)
150 metres – 15.89 sec (2011)
200 metres – 19.94 sec (2015)
300 metres – 31.03 sec (2016)
400 metres – 43.03 sec (2016) WR

Speed Reserve is KING Without any doubt you are correct. Hammered into my soul is this idea of one of the things I learned more than anything for CMF. ;). Geez he is missed.

No doubt, it’s selfish as hell from someone who never even met the man but it would be wonderful to learn and listen to him some more. Thanks for keeping the site going Angela.

http://www.track-stats.com/how-van-niekerk-broke-the-400m-world-record/

Great find Brett. PJ is always on top of his craft in expert fashion.

I watched Wayde run a 200m in 20.2 on the warmup track about an hour before the semifinal. Long beautiful strides, clearly not maximal frequency. Hand timed from first motion so probably equal speed to what he ran in the final.