Med ball circuits

Yesterday I went for 3 rounds of the original medball circuit, after 4km of tempo.
Very tough, but well worth the 45 minutes.
Interestingly, squats tended to be faster in the third round than in the first.
Circles around the head would kill anyone I think.

Medball is so fun!

you’re right about that

what is/where would i find the “original medball circuit”?

I’m glad to know this is a major toughie for others as well. :cool: I thought there was something wrong with me. But I’ve also found that the first time after a long time doing this can be a disaster, but it quickly gets easier. (well, like most MB exercises, I suppose).

Svincenz, what do you do for 4km of tempo, usually? (do you add something in the end to the long+short circuit?)

The CF medball workout video is a real-time video of a guy doing an extensive medball workout under Charlie’s watchful eye.

Some of the exercises are shown in the GPP video but the medball vid goes into a lot more detail and also includes explosive med ball exercises and advice.

As a coach, I’ve used the extensive medball circuit with my athletes for the last few years and I think it has helped to bring them on really well.

The video is for sale in this site’s online store price 20 bucks - good value.

ok, thank you! ill look into it…

Yes, definitely a great value.
Core strength is very much needed and low intensity exercises have an important role in Charlie’s system.

Stefanie, do them with a 15 pounds mb and they strangely get only a little bit easier, an endless sort of frustration.
As for the 4 km tempo, I usually keep the sets between 500-800 m, using various combination of reps (from 100 to 400 m). I would not define them strictly random, but they are carefully thought either. My view is that mileage, average speed and rest can be modified (reasonably) freely within certain ranges. Sometimes, when I feel like, I go for legs of 1 km +, but I don’t strictly train for track and field.
Warm-up + 4km tempo + 3 circuits of med ball + some other calisthenics = 1 h 20 minutes.

In addition to the direct impact of mid-section development of the med-ball work, I like the fact that it can represent another means of proving the different levels of total body/aerobic work and you don’t always have to get the job done, so to speak, with tempo-particularly in the case of injury.

In my opinion, medicine balls are among the few virtually indispensable tools for training.

Agreed, we perform a wide variety of med ball drills for many sided development and as you noted the extensive variants are fantastic options for all ranges of bioenergetic work.

I don’t have the luxury of a proper weight room with the athletes I am coaching at the moment so Medicine Ball work makes up the majority of the explosive strength/power work that we do. They are great because with a few medballs we can do all sorts of quality work after a practice in about 30 minutes.

Along with the explosive throws or throws followed by short sprints we do a minimum of 300 reps of core/abs per day at the end of each practice (up to 600, and I expect them to do 300 reps on their own each day).