McFarlane back on UKA team

McFarlane returns to UKA
(UKPA) – 14 hours ago

UK Athletics have appointed experienced sprint coach Mike McFarlane as assistant relay coach.

McFarlane, an Olympic and Commonwealth relay silver medallist, was made redundant by UKA in late 2009 and has since been the driving force behind the development of teenage sprinter Jodie Williams, who has so far refused lottery funding in order to be able to decide her own schedule.

The 51-year-old’s new role will see him team up with UKA’s Olympic coach Lloyd Cowan, supporting the women’s 4x100m squad in their preparations for this summer’s London Games.

McFarlane said: "I’m delighted to be involved with the women’s 4x100 relay team.

"It’s great that I was asked. It’s a home Olympics and you can’t get any bigger than that. It’s essential that the athletes get the best possible preparation going into the Games and I’m more than happy to oblige.

“I’ve known Lloyd for years and we’ve coached and competed in the same patch for a long time now so I’m looking forward to working with him and the squad.”

UKA head coach Charles van Commenee, who wanted Williams in the 4x100m relay team at last year’s World Championships in Daegu, said: "The home Games affords us a unique opportunity to increase the man power working in support of our athletes, and Mike offers a high level of experience in relay preparations in the build-up to London.

"Lloyd Cowan has a strong squad of athletes who will continue to require his full focus in the approach to August, and that coupled with his responsibility of the 4x400m squad means that it is smart to bring in additional expertise to assist in this area.

“Mike has excellent experience in coaching relays, and his continued presence as a successful coach in the sprint community means he is already a familiar face to our key athletes.”