Max Strength

Hello Charlie, on the SPP graphs weeks 5-7 you are doing flying sprints I am wondering why the focus on top speed doing the final weeks of the 3-1-3 max strength block?

This is something I’ve done is the past as well RB34, most recently with this group of skill players during our first block of summer training.

The reason I have my skill guys perform longer flying sprints is because of the impact it has on their 40yd dash (which we time prior to the second block of summer training)

Here’s the point of the flying/top speed work during max strength:

1. remember the emphasis during max strength is still speed development. The fact that the block is titled max strength simply indicates that this is your window to get what you can out of the developmental weight training (push the weights but never at the expense of the track work)

2. while the flying sprint features higher velocities than shorter acceleration runs, as one example, the fact that there is a gradual approach run reduces the overall intensity of the effort in comparison to, for example, a 60m sprint from the blocks or standing start.

James

I have recently been attempting to get a grasp of Verkhoshanksy’s block periodized model and he cautions against the use of speed work when developing maximal strength (A Block) using a Block periodized method due to increased injury potential and reduced performances.

If this logic is correct will flying starts and their higher velocities will put the athlete at an even bigger risk of injury ?

Would the use of acceleration work (0-20m) with an athlete make him less prone to potential injuries ?

Alternatively do you not use a concentrated training loads in the maximal strength block so this is even an issue ?

Cheers

Mac

Mac, this is because the structure and contents of the training load as prescribed by Dr. Verkhoshansky, with respect to a concentrated strength block, are characterized by much greater height and breadth with respect to the physiological impact. This is tolerable due to the nature of the block model in which the stress imposed by the speed work would be virtually insignificant as this won’t be ramped up until subsequent blocks.

Alternatively, in Charlie’s model, we’re simply talking about bumping up the intensity of a training component that has been present in the training all along.

It’s all a matter of context.

Remember, it’s all a matter of degrees. If you are truly moderate, you can move through componants safely but if you push too far… well…

flying sprints can be maximal or sub-max form work, depending on the overall plan. Usually, it is sub-max in the highest weight loading period.

I think if you are led by the speed workouts and a number of key sessions of maximum strength are to be completed within a certain block, as Charlie describes in the video series, then things become more manageable.

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but where do i find the weights protocal for SPP1? I’m coming to the end of my GPP with my SPP starting next week…I’d like to know how,when and where the weights fit into this new phase.

Look at the 2 graphs called

• Vertical Integration
  • Sample Weekly Workout Schedule

Alternatively, at the Weights DVD series.