Masters Sprint Training

I have had them assessed and treated by physio and massage therapists. What is generally occurring is that my right hip is more hypermobile compared to me left which I am working on. This does cause my right adductor to be forced to do a little too much work sometime leading to the slight strain. I do lots of dynamic stretching pre work out on a regular basis.

Thanks, I always spend at least 30 minutes warming up dynamically and include all the usual A,B,C, skips etc. and have been running 200m x 10 tempo for the last little bit without any indication. I hear you on the hills but unfortunately the cold winter climate forces me indoors to a track for the training. I’ll increase my soft tissue and flexibility component more for sure.

Hey guys, I’ve been totally flatlining the past four years as a masters athlete, and this year was convinced to try KitKat’s GPP. It is going incredibly well- it suits my body most importantly, and the wear and tear is greatly reduced. I think a read over of the insanely long lactate threshold thread is a must for any masters guy considering a comeback. KK’s program is really good- it’s not too hard on the muscles / joints, and get you fit in a hurry.

Did you make any modifications? If yes, what

What is the set up of the program? Also if I recall you are fairly tall right? Do you think this program suits your body type?

Thanks

Hi Jay, sorry I didn’t see this until now. I am tall, and I really think the program suits my body type. One of my problems has been that I don’t seem able to tolerate / recover from an exclusively short to long approach. I’m 6’3, 190 lbs, so I’m very lightly muscled. As Charlie mentioned many times, tall lean athletes tend to have a lower tolerance to power oriented work (e.g. short to long) than shorter more muscular athletes.

The KK program has a lot of lactic work in it also, which helped with improving my baseline fitness. I realize now that I simply was starting from too poor of a fitness base previously, so that the speed work I was doing just wasn’t having much of an effect. This time, I did two 6 week GPP’s, with a 4 week transition afterward, and am currently in the midst of an 8 week speed-oriented SPP. It seems to be working better. I am able to hold better base fitness, though I still have a lot of work to do cleaning up my diet. It has always been hard for me to control my eating. I started a journal just for the race season to give more of an overview. I’ve only run one 200m race so far, and that was a few weeks back, so we shall see how I do on Sunday. I have a 60m and 200m race then.

I noticed that I made HUGE strides in the 300m on KK’s program. I went from a hand timed best of 42.5 last season (that was outdoors on a big track too) to a 39.9 (outdoor track in Texas over Christmas holidays). We will see how well that translates to my 200m indoor time- hopefully it does!

Now I don’t know what your fitness is like, but mine is probably mediocre compared to many. I’m a masters guy, so being fit should probably be the first priority. I find that keeping one lactic focused day per week with two speed days (approaching / during SPP) is working better for me than my previous approach of two straight speed / two tempo days. It seems the lactic work helps build my fitness, whereas I always had a hard time getting fit from tempo, but it sure helps me maintain it. Clearly I’m coming from a much lower level than most of the athletes here. Does that make sense?

Do you have a link to KitKat’s GPP?
Thanks.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?6758-Lactate-Threshold-Training

ESTI that’s just mean :rolleyes: Neospeed try http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?21613-Kit-kats-400m-program

and

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?11082-The-way-of-the-quot-400-quot-Thanks-to-KK

then move on to the feast that is the link ESTI provided