Masters Sprint Training

Hi, I’m looking for advice on Masters speed training. I ran my first 60m( since 86) last year at the Alberta Indoor Champs. Unfortunately, I forgot my age…I am quite active at work in the Hospital, and am the fastest R.T. to a Code Blue, but I trained for about 3 weeks, felt good, and thought what the heck, just get a baseline time to see where I stood. I eked out a 8.19, but tried to pass a competitor and blew BOTH hamstrings at the line…Ouch. Anyway, am starting over after some minor surgery. I am thinking core strength as an intitial focus, as well as aerobic first. I still have my old training diaries from when I finally got serious and stopped the non-performance enhancing smoke. Does anyone have any basic tips on what a masters athlete needs to work on, how hard and what type of training. I know I can’t do the 4 hour sessions of my youth, but I think I could still crack 12 seconds as a 45 year old…Pete p.s. My best old results came after a winter of Allen Wells type training of 10-15 sets of increasing amounts of pushups and chinnies 40/100 @, as well as lots of reps of short fast runs…also got to work out with Mel Rosen after my coach had him up to Edmonton for a clinic…lots of great ideas there!

Interesting question - I’d like to know, too. The older I grow (although I’m only in M35 now), the easier I find it to progress in strength. Squatting, dead lifts - no limit in sight yet. Speed seems to be the main problem!
Maybe due to my background - after doing only a little weight workout (like 3x per week)for about 10 years I startet sprinting again at age 32. And I was damn slow when I started again.

If I do 6x40m (close to 100%, full recov.) I sometimes need one week to recover - so sometimes I have to cut training down to 1 speed day.
I consider turning to 400, because repetition runs (like >150m at 80-90%) are no problem.

So in winter I mainly concentrated on core strength, curcuits and the other typical gpp things. But I still have problems - maily with my patella tendon :frowning:

I would like to know, if sorint training makes sense with one speed session per week.
What would be the typical modifications of the GPP programm (like shown on the DVD) for an older athlete.

Any suggestions appeciated

Here are some suggestions:

1. perform speed only twice a week. (Preferrably one of those days on your typical race day. For example Sat or Sunday)
  2. perform heavy weights (squats, etc) once a week. (You will not be able to recover fast enough now that you are getting older)
  3. watch your tempo volumes and look at alternate recovery methods (pool, circuits, cycling etc)
  4. try to get as fit as you can first with an extended GPP. Run all non-speed workouts on grass in flats. Perform lots of general conditioning/strengthening (circuits, hills, etc) and assistance weight work as well
  5. do lots of core work. (This tends to get a little weaker)

Good luck with your training! Make sure you rehab your hamstrings fully before hitting speed again.

Cheers,
Chris

And accept the fact ahead of time that there will be PLENTY of weeks when only ONE speed session will be possible due to aches and strains, even if you do everything right recovery-wise. Don’t feel guilty about laying off that mid-week speed session when you need to, it’s part of the masters scene, and you will still improve.

The thing I haev noticed is the need for implementing a better recovery strategy.

As previously suggested reduce the high intensity sessions, add pool sessions. I also added a warmup on a bike and done a stretching session as part of may recovery.

I’m in the M50 category and agree with what has been stated. I think the CFTS works well for masters in general because it has short sessions of high intensity alternating with recovery days.

Using this approach, I’m able to get 2 days of speed per week and 2 or 3 days of tempo. I lift on the speed days and depending on what part of the year, may work in a third day of lifting. Like the speed work, the volume of the lifting is not high – typically 4 sets of 4 reps of 4 different lifts. Core work on tempo days. Pool work, massage are good if you have access. You also have to be sure to take one or two days off during the week for full recovery.

If you dig around on this forum and visit often, you’ll learn a lot more. There were some good posts on some queries I made recently under “age considerations.” Good luck.

Thanks for the info to all…I guess the hard part will be to remember my age…I still think I can do the hhigh intensity stuff taht we used to do! I think though that the core strenght and tempo as well as a bit of speed will be the key…Pete

Thanks for the info to all…I guess the hard part will be to remember my age…I still think I can do the hhigh intensity stuff taht we used to do! I think though that the core strenght and tempo as well as a bit of speed will be the key…Pete

As a fellow Masters athlete (swimming) let me encourage you. You might be surprised at how close you can come to your youthful times. But as the posts said here, take it slow and ease back in. Congratulations on wanting to pursue the sport!

I used the hills work from the GPP DVD 2x per week to prepare for Special endurance. For the hill work I shortend the distances to 30m and the volume as well. If i felt good I would go to 40m. So a hill session for me would be 3x4x30-40m. For recovery I would do 2 days of warm up 1 and 2 and small amounts of tempo, plus a full body wieght session sqauats(5x5reps) cleans(5x3reps) Bench (5x5reps) and pull ups.

Right now i do the following.

tues
speed+special endurance

wed.
Extended warm up 1+2
wieghts

thurs
rest

friday
Extended warm up 1+2
wieghts

Sat
speed + special end.

sun rest.

Maybe a little tempo on wed and fri if I dont feel fried.

I might change this around if I start going to more meets on sundays. Its a little odd but b/c of work and other commitments it works for me.

Hope that helps.

at the end of the day that’s what matters :smiley:

I too employ an ‘odd’ split that currently (winter) has Friday off, tempo Sat then speed endurance & weights Sunday…I have found that works well for me after a full on week at work and with other stuff.

Its for fun! I’m not going to get a scholarship anytime soon :slight_smile: I usually do my work when my kids are working out with thier team.

As far as listening to my body goes, this is what I do lately: If I feel fast during the warm up accels I will do a full 600-700m worth of running. If I feel heavy and slow or tired I will stop as soon as I get fustrated.

I´m not old as most of you ( i´m 27 to 28 now ) but since i´m coming after 10 years of total non “running” train i´m in the same boat.
Personaly, i discovered that the “weekly aproach” is not so good for master sprinters.
We have only 7 days per week and we can´t work all the “aspects” needed to be a sprinter in such short period.
So, what i´m doing now is more a “don´t worry about the weekly calendar, just follow your day to day scheme train”.
You´ll see as the times and weeks passes, your body seems to learn and the recovery times are shortened from week to week.
The only problem with this concern the “facilities” since most of the “tracks” are closed at sundays.

Well after some training. I squeezed out a 12.4 FAT and a 25 low for the submasters div. I was neck and neck with the guy you won with 11.88 FAT. At the 70m mark I was about to surge and then I just hit a wall. Like my arms could not pump and my knees could not lift. I was so pissed off at how I shut down I decelerated too damn early. But on the plus side I felt fast over the first 60m.Like I was going to run 11.xx. My start was OK and my speed was there. Still a little too much body fat and my mucles are still a little too soft. So theres room for improvement.

Of course everyone was like " you do too much speed you need more volume" In my head I was like " STFU!!! I just started running my SE runs 2 weeks ago" I will stick to my long to short plan (As outlined on the Vancouver DVD). No matter what the high volume 80% intensity coaches say. I will be looking to beat myself by 4 meters and hopefully a sub 12 at the end of the season. Not bad for a 10 year layover. Considering I had a ruptured achillies 2yrs ago and shoulder reconstructive surgery 6 months ago. Im not beaming over the results but I did exactly what I expected to do.

on a side note: Charlie was there in spirit…
Now on to the mental part of the race. As a 33 yo couch potato. I was very nervous during the warm up my wife and kids were there. The kids I coach were there and I did not want to embarass myself. To make matters worse the winner of the heat before me ran a godamn 10.54 FAT. I was about to put my trainers back on and go back home with my tail between my legs. Then I remembered something charlie said. Stay relaxed keep things business as usual. I kept saying that to myself over and over. And it calmed me down.

Well after some training. I squeezed out a 12.4 FAT and a 25 low for the submasters div. I was neck and neck with the guy you won with 11.88 FAT. At the 70m mark I was about to surge and then I just hit a wall. Like my arms could not pump and my knees could not lift. I was so pissed off at how I shut down I decelerated too damn early.

If you have the time to get pissed off you think too much. Probably your will to “surge” resulted in getting tensed-up. Shut your brain down and let things happen…

Of course everyone was like " you do too much speed you need more volume" In my head I was like " STFU!!!

Let them talk and prove them wrong next time out.

I will stick to my long to short plan (As outlined on the Vancouver DVD).

Did you mean short to long?

I will be looking to beat myself by 4 meters and hopefully a sub 12 at the end of the season

You certainly can do it.

I was very nervous during the warm up my wife and kids were there. The kids I coach were there and I did not want to embarass myself. Stay relaxed keep things business as usual.

You know it before you leave home (more than that: you know it from days before): those people will be there, somebody will run sub 11". You are your only opponent, don’t care about the surrounding and, very important, enjoy what you are doing.

Short to long… Thanks for the comments. I definitely agree that I wasted too much mental energy on things that are out of my control. It actually drained me physically.

Excellent post Sprinterrogue.

Ncjay,
looks like you are on the right track (no pun intended) , not competing is the easy option most take :smiley:

NYcjay,
after some good Speed Endurance training wait for the next one and see what happens!

The first one (if this is the case) is always tough and concentration may be lacking; next time I am sure you’ll surprise your self!

All the best!
Stick to your programme!!

Guys, my first meet ( in my life ) will be next saturday, so, i´m nut sure if i should let my wife and my boy to watch this, i´m all nervous :o

BTW, any of you are taking creatine or already tried this stuff ?
How did worked ?

Thanks man…

Had a question about speed endrance.

For tuesday I like to do the following

240-300m of 30m 20m and 30m from blocks
and
2x200-250

I like this work out. It just feels right for me.

For my other speed endurance day (saturday) I am not sure if I should do long SE2 type runs (500-400m) or serial reps of 60m with short rest?