Massachusetts College Sprint Coaches

Does anyone know of any great college sprint coaches in the Massachusetts (or even New England) area? I work high school athletes and it would be great to know who to or what direction to point them in if they want to stay in the area and actually get better. I know some successful programs in the area that don’t seem to have great coaching, based on the workouts that I have been told or have seen. Any help would be great!

I know some sprinters at New England colleges and the workouts, plyos and lifts that they do don’t seem to follow any logical periodization process. In many cases, I think they got better coaching in high school. But like Clemson, I’m probably too young to have an opinion.

:clap: Good question

I coach …so does clemson but they would have to run unattached. I did and it worked out great. You just dont get the hype like a college sprinter. That is untill you whoop a whole crew of sprinters from the university you go to. I raced the guys on scholarship at vcu and the sprint coach was so nervous he stood up to time it in the bleachers. Iss aaa that tim racccing nowww. Needless I won and he lost his job at the end of that year. There arent that many good coaches out there so be carefull. I would look at wheaton college or maybe Uconn both have good training programs. Both seem to be very consistent year in and year out. It really depends on the event. If you want the best coach in ncaa. I would send your guys to university of south carolina (curtis frye) he accepts almost anyone as a walkon.

Brings up a good point. I think alot of sprinters recieve better coaching in highschool. If you go through the pamplets that the schools send out to recruit their athletes look at their highschool prs (fat) compared to their college prs (fat). Its almost sickening for some and maybe even the majority. I would put myself out there and say more people do not improve their time then improve their time.
Example Obea moore hs pr 44-45
college naia he runs 48-49s

Look at this…14th place

Event 41 Men’s 200 Meter Dash

Finals - Results  - Saturday 04/27/02

PLACE ATHLETE NAME TEAM TIME HT
===== ============================ ========================= ========== ==
1 Wes Felix Unattached 21.14 -1.3 4
2 Devon Ward Univ. of Southern Calif 21.48 0.4 3
3 Fred Williams Cal State Fullerton 21.67 -1.3 4
4 Babatunde Ridley Unattached 21.72 -1.3 4
5 Leroy Jordan Unattached 21.92 -1.3 4
6 Derek Brown Cal State Fullerton 21.94 -1.3 4
6 Vincent Nguyen Cal Poly Pomona 21.94 0.4 3
8 Kettrell Berry So Cal Track Club 22.03 0.4 3
9 Carlos Gonzalez So Cal Track Club 22.24 0.4 3
10 Jorge Richardson Unattached 22.36 -1.3 4
11 Geoff Smith Cal Poly Pomona 22.39 0.4 3
12 Brandon Foster UC Los Angeles 22.43 -0.9 2
13 Dominique DeGramont Long Beach All-Stars 22.48 0.4 3
14 Obea Moore Unattached 22.50 -1.3 4

tim

i agree with what you’re saying, but it’s hard to convince a high school athlete that he should run unattached in college. Especially when they don’t really understand the details that go into coaching the sprints. you’re on the money with wheaton and uconn (men). those are the two programs in new england that i would have confidence sending my athletes too. Paul Souza knows what he is doing, as does Greg Roy. i may be biased though, i did run at uconn.

and also: its really a shame what obea moore has become. it defies logic. someone who was running 45 low in high school should be able to run faster than 22.5 in jeans and work boots.

i agree with uconn boys and wheaton. wheaton is a fairly expensive school and since it’s D III it’s tough to get any money.

it’s tough to get a kid to run unattached while in college, especially if they could get a scholarship to run somewhere else and not have to pay anything or not much for school.

Obea Moore

Had a run in with the law-

and was at Wallace State in 2001 as part of his probation.

I don’t think his decline in performance is coach related.

as far as obea moore goes, his first 200 of his 400 is going to be (or should be) a lot fastr then the 22.50 that he posted in the open.

his coach should take some responsibility for obea’s performances (or lack there of). if you’re a coach, you are linked to how well or how poor your athletes perform, no matter what the circumstances are.