MARION Wins NY

By Andrea Adelson
NEW YORK, 3 June - Marion Jones easily won the 100 metres at the New York Grand Prix today, crossing the line in 11.06 seconds to raucous cheers.
The former Olympian beat a strong field that included world champion Lauryn Williams, top Jamaican Veronica Campbell and 2003 world champ Torri Edwards. When Jones took her place in the blocks on a cool and breezy night, the crowd cheered her.

After a false start sent the runners back to the blocks, Jones took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She got off to a good start, but was way ahead by 60 metres, winning her third meet of the year since she started her comeback following an 11-month absence .

Overall I felt pretty good,'' Jones said. The conditions weren’t great, but any time you get a victory it’s another step.’’

After her race, she waved and smiled to the crowd as she did a post-race interview.

Campbell was second in 11.11. Williams was a disappointing fifth, finishing in 11.44.

Jones said she will run a 200-metre race in Europe before running in the 100 and 200 at the US nationals in Indianapolis later this month.

In the men’s 100, co-world record holder Justin Gatlin also won easily, clocking 9.87 in the final sprint event of the evening. American Tyson Gay was second in 10.04.

But all eyes were on the 30-year-old Jones in her first race in the United States in more than a year. Her time matched her fast mark of the year, which she first ran in her opening meet in Mexico last month.

Jones has had a tumultuous journey over the last few years. After winning five medals, including three gold, in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, Jones took 2003 off to have her son.

Things haven’t quite been the same since then.
She was shut out of medals at the 2004 Athens Games, failing to make the team in the 100. She attempted to qualify for the US world championships team in 2005, but walked off the track before the 100 preliminaries with a hip injury.

Williams, who has been battling a respiratory infection since April, wasn’t surprised with the way Jones performed.

She won, right?'' Williams said. So she was excellent.’’

By Larry Fine
NEW YORK, June 2 - Former Olympic sprint champion Marion Jones’s comeback is on track and she is looking forward to testing herself against an elite field at Saturday’s New York grand prix.
The 30-year-old Jones, who has won races in Mexico and the Netherlands following her return to the track after an 11-month absence, will be running the 100 metres in a field that includes world champion Lauryn Williams and silver-medallist Veronica Campbell.
Jones, winner of three Olympic golds at the 2000 Sydney Games, decided at the last minute to leave Europe and enter the meeting, which is a short flight from her North Carolina home.
I have a three-year-old son now,'' Jones told a news conference on Friday. It’s important for me not to be away from him for too long. My priorities have changed.’’
Her desire to compete and win have remained strong despite injuries, upheaval in her personal life and suspicion over possible doping violations.
I want to go out there and run fast. I'm excited about it because I know I will be pushed,'' she said. I feel like I’m ready. I wouldn’t show up if I didn’t think I could win.’’

Jones has not run up to her high standards since having a child with former sprint champion Tim Montgomery in 2003. She and Montgomery separated last year.

``In a perfect world I could click my heels and make it all disappear and focus on what I love to do,’’ Jones said of her recent troubles.

``People will say whatever, and think whatever, and I can’t spend too much time being concerned with that.

``I have to live my life. I want to be happy, I want to run fast, I want to compete and train and be the best mother possible. Life doesn’t stop because of all that.’’

Jones said it has been hard staying the course, yet now she feels she is turning the corner.

``It’s been really difficult. I think that has shown in my times and performances. I’m not a superwoman. I’m human. Things affect me.’’

Now I've got the injuries cleared up. My son is thriving now, I'm really happy with my training. You can't control all the exterior forces. I’m kind of seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Things can only get better.’’