Marathon Plan

" Best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago and the next best time is now".
Try the arch supports but don’t be afraid to gradually introduce them to your training over time.
Putting something inside your shoe all of a sudden might be fine day 1 and 2 etc… When you are doing large volumes of repetitions just be careful. I do not mean to discourage your attempt to improve your situation. I do want to caution you from self administering something I have been carefully monitored on.
I also do not want to make it sound as though everyone can or should be using foot inserts
Mike Forgraves is one of the top experts in the business and he lectures around the world and goes to the World Championships and Olympics as an advisor and consultant.
If you like I can inquire about a possible Skype session to advise. It might also be possible he knows the best person in your area or can find out.
I don’t mean to suggest you have not done due dilgence with your decsion tree of thinking either.
Continued success in this exciting pursuit and thank-you for sharing your training with us.

Thank you Angela - your advice is always well regarded.
2nd wearing of inserts I removed them half way though workout.
If i can, I’ll go bare foot at work to take pressure off the feet.
Mike made some great comments on what to look for in the Jane Project - As good as i could tell, I deff needed something extra - and the supports I found (with the aid of a 2nd pair of eyes) confirmed they were the right choice (for now). I’m thinking of using my Slow Mo camera to confirm when running on the Treadmill. I’ll post up when i get the chance. A possible skype or email consult with Mike would be good - email might be better as i think we are 12hrs or something different in time zone?
What i have noticed - just behind and at the bottom of the big Toe, pain is almost gone - only noticed when i massage, and it hurts a lot, very nervy also. Now, there is only maybe 10% of the pain there.
Calfs - they are always tight - I can remove the tension, but after a run, the tension (knotts) are back. If i don’t always look after the calfs, i get sore Achilles tendons pretty quickly.
Left knee - i had started to develop left knee pain - That is now only 10% remaining
tibialis anterior - Always tight, not really knotted, but never really feeling like it should. Feels great Now.

Friday - 1st big workout in innersoles. All went well - though i’ll be giving them a good massage after writing this.
60min Run - followed by 50min Running circuit - included lots of abs and burpee’s
Followed by 10min of stretching.
Not a bad run, was still very humid which makes for hard breathing and unpleasant soakness.
Was expecting the Legs to get rather dead and heavy with 15 or so minutes to go - but felt fine, just hungry.
Total weekly 4hrs 20min

Sat/Sun - Off - Developed a red painful area that, give it 5 more minutes of running, would have blistered up. On the Left foot, in the middle of the arch.

Monday - 30min of in/outs of the surf, instead of swimming out, i would run and do about 5min of deep water running, turn, catch a wave and run out and up to the dunes. Great workout - could get used to 1hr of this easy

Tue - 7km run - 26min - then tempo runs for 40min. Very muggy morning - hard to breath, very wet

Total weekly, 1hr 40min

Wednesday
Things are progressing nicely with the innersoles. Purchased a full length pair today, to try out instead of the 3/4 length pair being used. Seems to be more absorption capabilities and decent (but not too much) arch and heel support. I used them in a pair of average Nike shoes (supposed to be good nikes, but seem average for proper running) and the entire shoe dynamic has changed (for the better). I mainly used them so far on grass, so will be interesting to test them out on the Road later on.

Training - Running circuit - including abs, chin ups, dips and squat jumps.
Total time - 1hr

Weekly total 2hrs 40min

Thursday
Planned 1hr beach workout
Sand run (400m or so) then deep water running for 5min

Sea Lice were attacking really bad today - felt like jellyfish… After 25min some chaffing started happening so only managed 30min.

Foamrolled thighs afterwards - pretty sore but recovered pretty quickly
Very early sleep, just after 7pm…

Friday - A solid 9 -10hrs sleep :slight_smile:
A slight foot massage before morning training (feet felt the effects of the beach running)
New inserts felt fantastic today, esp on the footpaths and roads. The heel is also supported so sharper corners feel very secure now.
Training - 50min of running circuit with the odd 20E20F20E thrown in.

Planning on doing a solid day of foamrolling and feet massage today. (inbetween clients, so a bit here and there during the day)
That slight arch blister is nearly gone.

Total weekly time - 4hrs

I like to read your training journal. Can you tell me more about foamrolling protocol, like when, how much.
Uncle google only tells you how :slight_smile:

Cheers
Uncle google tells you Half how to do it. I find they go Way too fast and hence cause Bruising of the muscle
For me and my clients, as an example, Thighs, they could take 5-10-15min to roll one way, from hips to knees. Not like the youtube clips of 5-10sec.
If the muscle hurts, DON’T move, just wait. Wait till the pain leaves. Sometimes, as the muscle relaxes, the foam rolls naturally, thus you just sit and let gravity do the rolling.
Also - we always stretch After foamrolling (and massage) I find the stretching teaches the muscle what it’s supposed to be like, in terms of length. after all, it’s been used to being cramped up and knotted for who knows how long for some people? I also find it prevents Soreness to a big degree either hrs or days later. If it’s been really bad and painful, ICE afterwards.
When - largely depends… vague hey :slight_smile: Sometimes i turn around after setting out for a run, and head home to roll, as i’m way too tight. I’ll spend 5min or 30min of rolling, then when i go out, i’m ready to run. But if that’s the case, i’ll keep the run easier if i had to do 30min of foam. 5min don’t matter so much.
Otherwise - I’ll roll a few hrs after training (if i train in the mornings) or i’ll roll in the mornings and run in the afternoons. Ideal is a good rolling day on same day After harder workout with the next day easier (tempo or such). Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.

How much time - Sometimes 5min just to loosen up for a workout - sometimes 30min if pretty tight - every now and then, 1hr to really fix up whole body issues.

I also find, it’s best to foamroll the knotts out, then go for a massage. Works very nicely.
Hope it helps

Hi,
Thank you for that :slight_smile:

I thought single roll should be longer than i normally see but i didnt imagine it would take that long. What kind of foamrollers dio you use? I think i cant really hit glutes and hamstrings enough. i use this foamroller

Ive seen people using baseball balls and simular. What do you think of that? I tried it with tennis ball but didnt like it.

Its funny how foam roller is becoming popular here. A group of sprinters at a track where I train just came up with some 5~10 foamrolles and other self-masage “devices”, using the before in between and after training every day :slight_smile:

Iggy

A member but rarely post, yeah there are certainly some entrenched opinions.

Thanks for the foam roll info and while the way I do it is more the ‘traditional’ fast way (15 rolls each area) the benefits are still good. Stretching afterwards is a must!

Just wondering have you dropped any weight with the extra mileage?

MadIggy, i use them rollers, but many others also I have one that is much harder, i love it also a ball the same material as the blue rollers and 10inch dia For hammies and calfs i like to use a dumbbell as it really gets into the muscle
Sharmer, since starting this plan in mid Nov, i have added 2kg none of it fat This is due to also training the carb depletion during the long runs and the body adapting by storing more glucose (and hence water) A cyclist mate who does 4-5hr bike rides has gained 3kg and his body weight has been the same for the last 10yrs

Sat n Sun. Had sat off and planned a 30km run to a beach on Sun arvo As i was getting ready a big storm (lightning and hail) was brewing and destroyed my plans, when it rains hard enough here, the footpaths also flood over, leaving nowhere to run.

Monday
Just over 16km in 1hr 4min.
There was a path towards the end that was blocked off due to the rains from Sunday , tis a shame as i wanted to compaire the same course as last. I think i was on target fot around 8-10 min faster.
Lost a total of 2kg, or 4.4lbs in that 1hr run. The last 20min was all in the sun with no shade, was pretty nasty.
Did some back/shoulder foamrolling that afternoon, it’s been too long since i last did that, was rather ugly.

Tuesday
10km early run. 40min, didnt feel too flash, wore some compression pants to avoid chaffing but they felt restrictive around the hip flexors and hip height felt lower?
Right after, 50min of running circuits
Again, very muggy and lost a couple kg even with drinks during.
Feet are a bit sore around the edges of the heels (will massage) and right foot 2nd toe nail is killing… it was bad this time last year too, lost the nail then.

Wednesday
Much cooler day, in fact, barely got a sweat going!
45min of running circuits, though ran on a stick hidden in the long grass, and lucky my lower legs were loose, or i might have damaged my ankle.
Just an easy one today, see what i can do Thurs, esp if it remains cooler
Total weekly, 3hrs 15min

Thurs
No time to train, but managed a 1hr foamroll session. Felt so much better afterwards.
Friday
Pouring rain at 4:30-5:30 this morning so missed out my early run before our workout
50Min runing circuit, much cooler weather, or less humid the last 3days, so much nicer.
Foamroll during the day to help maintain the gain i got from Thurs session.
Feet feel like they are getting used to the innersoles rather nicely now.

Sat-Mon, Sick.
Wanted to do a light run Mon arvo, but it was sweltering hot. Just when i thought summer was nearly done and it was cooling off… Next year im doing intervals at summer time
As of the last month, i’m sleeping a lot more also. finding it hard to wake up, even with zma before bed. Same bed time at night, but been turning off the alarm n back to sleep for at times, 3 more hrs!

Tue, still a touch sick.
Very hot night, slept with aircon on all night.
50min of tempo runs with exercises after every two.
Decent pace wise, heart rate low, but crazy hard to breath (humidity) the other guys seemed to be hurting more than me, so thats ok :
Took body fat levels the other day, using calipers, over 7 sites, total reading down to 38mm, when i started this program, 42mm, so body fat has dropped.
Have only been awake 3.5hrs today, and already sleepy… need to resume my day time naps

Do you record your resting heart rate and BP. Should show how you are coping.

Thanks Sady, I have done so in the past, well the heart rate anyway. I havnt tried the blood pressure 1st thing, but a little Tell is if after laying diwn and then standing up, if you get a bit dizzy, then your pressure is a bit low. It seems ok, i’ll keep track, if i remember… .Wed, still sick, more so in the morning. Afternoon, turned up to training 1hr early, and planned on doing a solid 1hr of tempo, followed by 1hr of running circuits. Three kids, oldest sick with ear infection from swimming was going to stay in car and rest and look after 2yr old who was sleeping. 2yr old got woken as we arrived, he was pissed off… so 50min later of settling him down i could then get back to training… ahrrr.
So ended up doing 50min of tempo, (including warm ups) 20*200’s in 35sec with 35sec rec. Heart rate around 140-150 so nice and aerobic. Had about 2min rest after 10.
wore racing flats with innersoles, much more comphy. But serious lack of grip on the grass.
Heat wasnt too bad, by the last say 3, the humidity started to trap body heat a lot and make things ugly a touch.

Oh, might need to organise a few races leading into the marathon. In 2months there is a 10km run as part of a Triathlon with some prize $$, so another 10km and half marathon would be good.

Thurs, Made up a exercise challenge for my general exercise clients. 30min in duration.
each exercise can only be performed for a max of 60sec. Each exercise is awarded points based on how hard the exercise is. Pretty much whipped me doing it (lack of doing weights and any La+)
Performed pretty good otherwise, managed to beat a bodybuilding client 123 points to 115
Fri, massive raining event, so indoors on spin bike and Dreadmill : How i lothe running indoors… managed 30min
Sat, full leg massage, pretty sore from Thurs still. Hasnt stopped raining for about 3days here, depressing. Goal for Sun morning is a solid 25-28km run, with a nice 1km long hill in the middle, very steep (looking forward to it)