Marathon Plan

Hi,
Thank you for that :slight_smile:

I thought single roll should be longer than i normally see but i didnt imagine it would take that long. What kind of foamrollers dio you use? I think i cant really hit glutes and hamstrings enough. i use this foamroller

Ive seen people using baseball balls and simular. What do you think of that? I tried it with tennis ball but didnt like it.

Its funny how foam roller is becoming popular here. A group of sprinters at a track where I train just came up with some 5~10 foamrolles and other self-masage “devices”, using the before in between and after training every day :slight_smile:

Iggy

A member but rarely post, yeah there are certainly some entrenched opinions.

Thanks for the foam roll info and while the way I do it is more the ‘traditional’ fast way (15 rolls each area) the benefits are still good. Stretching afterwards is a must!

Just wondering have you dropped any weight with the extra mileage?

MadIggy, i use them rollers, but many others also I have one that is much harder, i love it also a ball the same material as the blue rollers and 10inch dia For hammies and calfs i like to use a dumbbell as it really gets into the muscle
Sharmer, since starting this plan in mid Nov, i have added 2kg none of it fat This is due to also training the carb depletion during the long runs and the body adapting by storing more glucose (and hence water) A cyclist mate who does 4-5hr bike rides has gained 3kg and his body weight has been the same for the last 10yrs

Sat n Sun. Had sat off and planned a 30km run to a beach on Sun arvo As i was getting ready a big storm (lightning and hail) was brewing and destroyed my plans, when it rains hard enough here, the footpaths also flood over, leaving nowhere to run.

Monday
Just over 16km in 1hr 4min.
There was a path towards the end that was blocked off due to the rains from Sunday , tis a shame as i wanted to compaire the same course as last. I think i was on target fot around 8-10 min faster.
Lost a total of 2kg, or 4.4lbs in that 1hr run. The last 20min was all in the sun with no shade, was pretty nasty.
Did some back/shoulder foamrolling that afternoon, it’s been too long since i last did that, was rather ugly.

Tuesday
10km early run. 40min, didnt feel too flash, wore some compression pants to avoid chaffing but they felt restrictive around the hip flexors and hip height felt lower?
Right after, 50min of running circuits
Again, very muggy and lost a couple kg even with drinks during.
Feet are a bit sore around the edges of the heels (will massage) and right foot 2nd toe nail is killing… it was bad this time last year too, lost the nail then.

Wednesday
Much cooler day, in fact, barely got a sweat going!
45min of running circuits, though ran on a stick hidden in the long grass, and lucky my lower legs were loose, or i might have damaged my ankle.
Just an easy one today, see what i can do Thurs, esp if it remains cooler
Total weekly, 3hrs 15min

Thurs
No time to train, but managed a 1hr foamroll session. Felt so much better afterwards.
Friday
Pouring rain at 4:30-5:30 this morning so missed out my early run before our workout
50Min runing circuit, much cooler weather, or less humid the last 3days, so much nicer.
Foamroll during the day to help maintain the gain i got from Thurs session.
Feet feel like they are getting used to the innersoles rather nicely now.

Sat-Mon, Sick.
Wanted to do a light run Mon arvo, but it was sweltering hot. Just when i thought summer was nearly done and it was cooling off… Next year im doing intervals at summer time
As of the last month, i’m sleeping a lot more also. finding it hard to wake up, even with zma before bed. Same bed time at night, but been turning off the alarm n back to sleep for at times, 3 more hrs!

Tue, still a touch sick.
Very hot night, slept with aircon on all night.
50min of tempo runs with exercises after every two.
Decent pace wise, heart rate low, but crazy hard to breath (humidity) the other guys seemed to be hurting more than me, so thats ok :
Took body fat levels the other day, using calipers, over 7 sites, total reading down to 38mm, when i started this program, 42mm, so body fat has dropped.
Have only been awake 3.5hrs today, and already sleepy… need to resume my day time naps

Do you record your resting heart rate and BP. Should show how you are coping.

Thanks Sady, I have done so in the past, well the heart rate anyway. I havnt tried the blood pressure 1st thing, but a little Tell is if after laying diwn and then standing up, if you get a bit dizzy, then your pressure is a bit low. It seems ok, i’ll keep track, if i remember… .Wed, still sick, more so in the morning. Afternoon, turned up to training 1hr early, and planned on doing a solid 1hr of tempo, followed by 1hr of running circuits. Three kids, oldest sick with ear infection from swimming was going to stay in car and rest and look after 2yr old who was sleeping. 2yr old got woken as we arrived, he was pissed off… so 50min later of settling him down i could then get back to training… ahrrr.
So ended up doing 50min of tempo, (including warm ups) 20*200’s in 35sec with 35sec rec. Heart rate around 140-150 so nice and aerobic. Had about 2min rest after 10.
wore racing flats with innersoles, much more comphy. But serious lack of grip on the grass.
Heat wasnt too bad, by the last say 3, the humidity started to trap body heat a lot and make things ugly a touch.

Oh, might need to organise a few races leading into the marathon. In 2months there is a 10km run as part of a Triathlon with some prize $$, so another 10km and half marathon would be good.

Thurs, Made up a exercise challenge for my general exercise clients. 30min in duration.
each exercise can only be performed for a max of 60sec. Each exercise is awarded points based on how hard the exercise is. Pretty much whipped me doing it (lack of doing weights and any La+)
Performed pretty good otherwise, managed to beat a bodybuilding client 123 points to 115
Fri, massive raining event, so indoors on spin bike and Dreadmill : How i lothe running indoors… managed 30min
Sat, full leg massage, pretty sore from Thurs still. Hasnt stopped raining for about 3days here, depressing. Goal for Sun morning is a solid 25-28km run, with a nice 1km long hill in the middle, very steep (looking forward to it)

coughcrossfit cough :wink:

So you gonna share?

Man it’s been a shite summer…

crossfit try to copy me :slight_smile:
A tonn of my clients only want to train indoors, get fit, lose weight, tone up etc, so i have to get creative with their weights
Most of the time its more like say an indoor tempo workout
60 sec time limit
Push ups 44
chin ups 10
knee taps56
burpees 24
bench press (80% of body weight) 17
get ups 15
dumbbell swings (20kg) 22
squat press with 10kg dumbbells 12
pull ups (like an upside down push up) 30
squat medabal slams 23
treadmill 270m (takes 30sec to get to speed)
spin bike on level 4 860m
cable standing press, 9 plates 12
End

exercise 1 point for every rep
push up 1 4
chin up 1

damn tablet, i need a mouse
con’t
each exercise gets one point for x reps
push ups 4 reps
chin ups 1 rep
knee taps 6 rep
burpee 3 rep
bench 2 rep
get ups 2 rep
swings 3 reps
squat press 1 rep
pull ups 3 reps
ball slams 2 reps
treadmill every 27m
bike every 100m
cable press 1 rep

Sunday
plan was for a nice long run, 2hrs or therabouts
Felt pumped in the upperbody from thurs session, scales showed a solid 1kg weight gain, felling it all in my chest… damn muscle memory…
Strggled and ended up only running 35min. I think the humidity had something to do with it a bit also. was saturated afterwards.
It’s time to start ramping volume back up.

Monday, 5.5km run, 21 min.
Mostly just to blow the cobwebs out from yesterday. feltmuch better, but not 100%
still feel pumped up muscle wise, i have a feeling tue will be much better.
Side note, feet have more flexibilty in them now, and takes a whole lot less time to make them feel better when they get tired.
Same with the hips and legs, sure they get tight, but very quick to release the tension, like 5-10sec or so :
Weight is still up around 1kg heavier.
looking for a good volume day tue.

Tue morning
Felt terrible - hard to wake up.
Then during warm up, had to stop - hard to breath, feeling tight as a rock…
During the night woke up a few times, sweating - damn humidity. Didn’t drink up before training, (not that i usually do) so was dehydrated - makes you feel like crap.
I think maybe i have to get into a habbit of drinking a solid 1Litre upon waking up?
I might have time later today to do something else? Maybe
Otherwise, done 50min of running circuits

Wed
1hr45min of intervals inc warm up and ab circuit.
60*200m efforts, at 36sec with 36sec recovery.
Done in heavy joggers, makes the legs, calfs, feel better, but, geez they are heavy on grass compared to flats.
Compared to doing 200’s last week, the joggers were a solid 1.5sec slower than flats, plus you really feel the extra weight after awhile.

Started a heavy metal de/tox on Tue lunch time.
Man that stuff… after drinking it, tasts like ya just drank a mouth full of mud… yummy…bla
Not sure how quick this is supposed to work, but wed was a hot day according to the weather and others i talked to. But for once i felt fine, like it was a solid 5deg C cooler… not 3 deg warmer.
Esp being a metal tradsperson for 10yrs, i have sucked in my fair share of heavy metals over time. Will be interesting to see what else happens in the few wks.