Marathon Plan

A win is always nice, well done.

How do you correspond

I felt like the pace was consistent till around 4km - then the Heat started to really effect me - started to make the Heart rate go higher and the pace go slower. (Normally the only thing to make the Heart rate go higher is a Faster Pace - otherwise it just sits there if pace is the same)

with
Heart rate graph didnt really show a very high Heart rate, it was up, but nothing specially high. Considering it was hurting a lot - i thought the HR would have been somewhat higher (Heat Stress??)

was the first one how you felt or were you looking at HR while racing?

Hey John
cheers
The pace was pretty consistent in the 1st 4km going by 1km splits. The HR was up about where i was expecting for a 10km run. Typically what would happen, at this stage, is for the pace to maintain, the heart rate would go up, but, im talking like 2-4 beats over the rest of the race, and another 4-5 beats for the last 1km or half a km due to kicking it home. But - That didn’t happen. The HR stayed at the same level as at the end of 4km till the last few hundred mtrs. At which point, it went up 5 beats only.

What’s happening here - 6 months of base work with very minimium La+ training. The heart is now a lot Bigger than before, and without the Strength in the walls for fast beating. So it’s just Thumps the blood around. The strength hasnt been built up yet to get it really going fast RPM.

The other thing - Cardic Drift - this occurs duing Hotter weather and when Carb intake is low. Talking to my Cyclist, Who is also a Naturapath, my internal body thermostat could be wrong (as each yr im hating and hating summer more and more) this Can be caused due to Thyriod issue and should get some blood tests to check it out - I might need some special Iodine to help it out? As per the low carbs - normally during base training i keep my carbs around 30% or so of daily intake. But during racing, your body isnt really using much Fats (unlike base) and uses Carbs like a furnace. Was i carbed up? Gees no - I had forgotten all about it, in fact, my carb use the 24hrs before the race was possibly down to around 20%. So what happens with cardic drift is as you dehydrate, and burn away your carbs, the blood plasma volume can decrease significantly due to sweat loss, and this reduced volume is still expected to kept at a constant pressure when pumped to the rest of the body. Therefore the pump has to work harder.
A higher carb intake, actually stores More water.

Heart rate seems to be recovered as of yesterday, Wednesday.
A new way of gauging if the heart rate is recovered is as follows,
Using a Heart rate monitor.
During Aerobic work, the heart rate has a fairly Linear relationship between blood pumped and distance covered.
This means, during Aerobic work, it will take an athlete a certain number of beats to cover a specific distance.
For instance, if one can cover 10km in 35min at an average HR of 155, the Maths = (35 x 155) = 5425 beats per 10,000m, or (10000/5425) = 1.84 meters per beat.
This same athlete could expect to cover 10,000m at 40min and 45min with the same ratio… so at slower speeds the average heart rate will drop to maintain the ratio.

So therefore, if we know it takes 5425 beats to cover 10,000m of a know course, we can more or less predict what he should average for different aerobic times over the same course
If he takes 40min, the the 5425 beats will give an average HR of just over 135, and at 45min, it will drop to 120 average.

The exact ratio will vary according to bio-mechanics and can improve over time with better aerobic development and leg strength. So it’s good for Short term training blocks. (then re-test)

This sort of record keeping will determine when it’s safe to resume Hard training again. Systemic acidosis will elevate resting HR, and glycogen depletion with muscular tiredness will lower stride distance

The athlete simply has to go for a very easy morning run over a known course and determine the ratio. If it is back to normal, he is running eficiently again, if not, he should look at easier recovery until ready.

The set course should remain largely unchanged (ie road) and doesnt have to be accurately measured. So long as the same set course is used for such tests, the ratio over that course is all that matters

So, End of Last week
3hrs 50min
47.3km
2 days off, Fri n Sat
All aerobic work - just keeping it easy and recovering from race

This week
Mon - Well, i was all dressed and ready to run at 5:30pm, when it hit me. Toilet… then again… It reminded me of the previous Thurs - where i ran and about 1/3rd the way through, only about 2km, i was out looking for the toilet, badly…
What i put it down to - Peanut butter sandwich i had for lunch both them days. Don’t normally eat that - and it certainly done a number on me.
So Monday, just rode for 5min warm up, then did 30min of foamrolling.

Tue - 40min of running circuits 5.8km
Wed - 45min of running circuits 8km - avg Hr was pretty good today for this session, recovery has happened. I also ate more Carbs during the day than normal, actually a lot more.

Thurs - Off
Fri - 8.7km of running circuits - 50min
Avg HR of 140
Went well - felt good. I think the extra Carbs are doing their job nicely.
Sadly, it was raining on us - will this rain ever end for awhile…

Was supposed to race a Half Marathon this weekend - but was broke due to easter (still recovering financially)
So, maybe i’ll plot out a course and run my own?

Saturday - Spent 6hrs pulling down an old Cubby house, falling 3 Palm trees and 1 big busy tree.
Not a day to go off and rip out a harder workout - so,
6km in 32min 20sec
Avg HR - 120 - this gives me a RATIO of 1.54 Meters per Beat

Sunday - Spent 5hrs chopping up, and sorting through the rubble left behind from Saturday…
Even had a 1hr nap afterwards
So, another Recovery session - this time with my group that i train on the weekends (so includes some exercises)
2.3km warm up
5km Circuit - 39min
Avg HR 115 (after every 10min had a 3min stand around and stretch)
Avg HR during the circuits was still only 120

Monday - 10yrs sleep (unheard of for the last 10yrs - kids…)
Ended up having the day off - pretty relaxing day

Ok
There is ONE race in particular i want to do really well in this year. It’s a 3km road run, after 1.5km there is a big hill - so it wont be blindly fast. Last year i ran 9min 9sec. It would be good to be around 30sec quicker this year!
There is 15weeks till this race. (including this week)
I’ll need 12wks of La+ work including race prep and taper.
So - I’ll need to shorten my extended Base till 2wks time. (all i have done nearly all yr so far is Aerobic work)

1 week each of May and June = 2wks of Hill work + keep up the volume - It’s like base volume wise, but with included hills

June = 2 wks of 10km pace work - then 1 wks of 5km pace work

July = 1 wk of 5km pace work - 2 wks of 3km work - then 1wks of 1km work

Aug = 1 wk of 1km work - 1 wk of Time trails - 1wk taper - Race 3km

Last week (it’s hard getting on the Computer - mobile devices i use the most don’t like this site much?)
Tue - 7km of circuits
39min - avg HR 132

Wed - 8km of circuits
44min - avg HR of 141

Thur - off
Fri - off

Sat and Sun - no running, but did some cycling (am now so bored of running… - i can’t do any more base work, bla)
Sat - 18km - 7min warm up, avg HR 92 (stupidly low) 17:30 workout, avg hr 141. 7min cool down, avg HR 120

Sun - 19km - 36min, avg HR 133, Max HR 153
Cycling is soo much harder to get a solid workout in. IF you stop trying, the heart rate drops way down. If your’re going hard, the heart rate still does’t want to go up…

By monday - after a week of easy sessions and some bike rides, and changing focus on the training (bringing HiLL training forward 2 weeks and going to do 4solid weeks of hills, instead of two, I’m now ready to run, and get right back into it. (though i think i’ll make good use of the bike, esp for recovery sessions)

Monday - 9km
36min - avg hr 150, Max HR 163 (going up a big hill towards the turn around)

Tue - 7.8km of HILLS
HR avg, 136 - HR max 171
Done a circuit of 3 hills, 500m long and with a faster effort of around 100m on the flat once back down.
Two the up Hills included doing the first 1/4 of the Hill in a A-skip fashion, but sort of Bounding during the Skip.
The Third hill was a straight run (was hurting massively by the end of the top of the hill)

Wed

• Solid warm up, then 10 x 200’s tempo in joggers. between 35-36sec each, on a 1min 30sec cycle.
    Total 5kmTime,
    29 min
    avg hr 129 Max hr 153 (which is pretty low)

Thurs
Easy tempo
Total 6.6km (including warm up/down)
time - 35.30 min
avg HR 136
Max HR 155

FriA.M. - Hills
Total 7.31km
time - 43min
Avg HR - 136
Max HR - 169

Midday - Weights
(started last week, two times a week - on hills days)

P.M. - Tempo - Large circuit
Total 4.27kmTime - 30min
Avg HR - 118
Max HR - 153

Sat
Cycling
Total - 16.89km
Time - 33;34min
Avg HR - 142Max
HR - 158

Sun
Cycling
Total - 24.83km
Time - 53.28min
Avg HR - 129
Max HR - 171

Weekly totals
Run - 3.62hrs - 40.02km
Bike - 2.18hrs - 60.72km
total - 5hrs 4min
Using cycling as a means of slight cross training (only on weekends) - keeps the pressure off the legs, keeps things motivating and allows for continued training (9 days in a row now!)

Monday
6km run (pretty easy) Time - 26minAvg HR - 143Max HR - 157
Tuesday
Hills Time - 71min
Dist - 12.8km
4 x long hills - 550m each hill. Heart rate monitor kept turning off (auto off when i stopped, but didnt re-start)
Highest HR i seen was still only 171 (i got 3 of the 4 hill runs on display)
Felt extremely La+ in the last 1/4 - 1/3rd of the hills - takes 2min for fastest, next was 2:05 and i missed the timing on the next two ( i would imagine slower…)

Wed - easy day. Tempo - 30minJust under 5km all up including warm up/down

ThursOff - Very tight hip flexors / foamrolled. Feeling very tired, still recovering from the Hills on Tue

Fri Hills3km warm upSame hills as Tue (550m) - Previous best hill was 2min flat1 - 1:54 2 - 1.523 - 1:45 (it was a race to the top, if it was fast enough, we would just do the 3 hills, if not, we would do another 4th hill - We ran fast enough :slight_smile: 3km warm downTotal time 65 minDistance - just under 12km

Sat - Off (wanted to train, but family stuff was on)

Sun - 8km in 37min - Avg HR 138

Mon - No running, but lots of foamrolling. Maybe a solid 1 x hr.

Tue - Hills54.5min totalDistance 9.2km3 x long hillsTimes

• 1min 50 (avg hr 152, Max HR 166, Max speed 21.6km/hr)
  • 1min 48 (avg hr 157, Max HR 170, Max speed 22.1km/hr)
  • 1min 47 (avg hr 153, Max HR 167, Max speed 20.7km/hr) Had longer rest before, and avg speed was faster, peak was lower.

so when is next race and how is prep for that going?

Next Major race is Aug 19th. A 3km. Goal is 8 1/2min - or at least, Sub 9min (oh, and to win)

There are a few Minor races between now and then - next one is the 11th june if i go. 18.5km race against an old steam train…

Wed
16.5 min of easy Tempo

Thurs
17.5km Easy jog

Fri
52.5min of Hard hills 4 x sets
1 - 1min 53sec
2 - 1min 45sec
3 - 1min 43sec
4 - 1min 51sec

Weights that afternoon

Sat
Off

Sun
40min Bike ride - good recovery ride

Mon
Flu symptoms (sore and hot - no flem)
Mon night, slept like crap

Tue
Hills 4 x

• but kept HR out of La+ zone and just ran within myself
    1 - 2min 20sec - felt very ordinary up the hill, but by the time the circuit ended, felt pretty good
    2 - 2min 10sec - This was a time that in my 1st week of hills was a struggle v’s today felt easy
    3 - 2min 9sec
    4 - 2min 11sec - felt really good by now

Nothing like a good aerobic run to flush the last remaining Crap out of the body - there is still a little bit left, but not much. A solid zzz tonight should bring things back to normal.

Fri will be the last of the Hill workouts - would be sweet to crack the 1min 40sec

Tue, During the day - too much talking, and lost my voice!
Tue night - another very poor 4hrs sleep

Wed - So tired, couldnt get a nap in, and being so tired, the Flu got back at me

Thurs - Solid sleep - still very tired - voice still mostly gone - still somewhat flu’y

Fri - Mostly better - Voice pretty much still won’t work…
Muscles feel ok - temp seems normal - back to eating non stop again…
Got this thick flem that will only Cough out - hence causing my sore voice - still, won’t train today - and when i do, it’ll just be a few days of easy aerobic work.

These are awesome for improving sleep http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/3665-tart-cherry-green-tea.html I was using 2 per night as suggested and now on 1 which is working fine. Provides what I call holiday sleep :slight_smile:

Thanks John, I know a few people who will like that :slight_smile:
Today is Tue, day 10 of being sick. I haven’t been sicker for more than 2-3days in like 15+ years. I refuse to get sick… So this is baffling.

Another Tue - another week of being sick. Attempted to run this morning - it did’t work, not even nearly.

bugger so what’s that 17 days? Been to the Dr?