Manfred Lawendowski

Considering this is the coaching forum, I was just curious as to whether Manfred is a good coach and if anyone has met him (and talked about how he trains his athletes).
I’m a 100m and 200m guy. BUT - long jump is preferred event.

He has got a good reputation (I think) but I’ve got some mixed feedback from some of his athletes.

He’s in Melbourne but, sorry, I don’t know about him. There are a lot of Aussie members here so someone must.

I got to know him a little in 1988 when his group and mine were each on a road to the Seoul Olympics. I believe his name is spelled Lewendowski. Back then he seemed like a great guy, frustrated with the administration of his national federation (like everyone else you’ve ever met). He seemed to be very strength-oriented (read: weights). But maybe his best success was around the Atlanta Games when I think he was coaching a 400m runner named Lee Naylor, but not sure of that. Naylor definitely was part of the Aussie 4x400 team there, but I didn’t see Manny in Atlanta so guess he fell out with his federation. He was the Aussie head sprints coach though in Seoul which suggests he had to be pretty good considering he wasn’t afraid to tell his federation what he really thought :slight_smile: