LTAD for Soccer

I am currently trying to develop LTAD plan for soccer, mostly using some of LTAD ideas from Charlie (Edmonton DVD), Canada LTAD and Coerver Method (soccer skills), along with Bompa’s stuff and Drabik.

What I have noticed is that there is great mis-understanding of the word ‘coordination’ where coaches insist on small hurdles, agility ladder drills, great ammount of skipping, quick feet and another ‘watch for shit!!’ (‘Pazi govno!’ vezbe) drills, instead of building movement skill ‘vocabulary’ (elementary gymnastics, throwing, jumping, skipping, catching, crawling, lifting, climbing, even dancing/folk…) and thus building the base of skills. I thing ‘coordination’ development is BS anyway. Kids need to acquire skills, not ‘coordination development’ whatever that is.

Anyway, I will deal with ‘physical development’ of LTAD, but I was attracted by Coerver LTAD for soccer skill. He developed the ‘pyramid’

Pyramid of Player Development

Group Attack:

Exercises and games that improve small group play with an emphasis on Fast Break Attacks.

Finishing:

Exercises and games that improve technique and encourage instinctive play around the goal.

Speed:

Exercises and games to improve agility, acceleration, and power with and without the ball.

Moves 1v1:

Exercises and games that teach game winning individual moves and create space against packed defenses.

Receiving and Passing:

Exercises and games to improve first touch, so important at all levels, and to encourage accurate and creative passing.

Ball Mastery:

Repetition ball control exercises with both feet, one player and one ball.

http://coerver-norcal.com/test.htm
http://www.coerveracademy.com/pyramid.html

I will try to plot:
Age, Technical emphasis, Tactical Emphasis, Physical emphasis along with norms for it. This is a multi-year process… so… stay in touch :slight_smile:
Any help is highly appreciated.

I have recently been thinking about this and will be working on something similar in the coming months. I think this is going to become a mini project!

Great! I would love to contribute if you need help, if not I would love to see it. keep working :slight_smile:

No defence :confused:
If you’re going to learn how to be good att 1v1, finishing and group attack you have to train/play against good defenders working together.

Defending is a skill just as any other and needs to be developed! I would put it in there at the same level as 1v1 and speed, you have to learn how to move and position your body according to the game so you never have to do a 180 degree turn to get to the ball.

No defense? - that’s no problem - it’s the Real Madrid method!

:stuck_out_tongue: true true! The only player they’ve produced to the first squad during the last 10 years is Casillas, bet he had to work very hard every practice and game :wink:

Excellent post. I agree 200%. Wouldn’t it been better to put Finishing/Defense and Group Attack/Group Defence then as top of the pyramid?

How about early position specialization? In our clubs GK are recruited from 10-12 years of age? What is your input on this?

This is not a great decision IMO for the athlete development a few years later would be best.

Duxx:
Now that you’re done with the degree, what is your next plan??

That is a great question Charlie. Our season is over and we have some training sessions until the end of the next week. I planned to ‘sit down’ with myself and put some ‘goals on paper’. I was thinking about going to TOEFL/GRE exam for applying to graduate studies in the states, or maybe seek for a job in the states, can or australia. Anyway, I plan to emigrate from here ASAP and I will give my best to gain as much experience as I can from the situation/coaches over here. This is a public forum, so I don’t want to go into details.
Do you have something on your mind?

What area do you want to work in?

I was thinking of going through some ideas with you. E-mail me at charlie@charliefrancis.com and we can talk further.

Academic:
Physiology of HIIE sports with special reference on RSA
Theory and methodology of training
Motor control & learning
Physical Therapy

Practical:
Strength and conditioning for team sports
Physical Therapy/Rehab

and this is out of my head at the moment :slight_smile:

Duxx,

To work in the States you either need a sponsor that applies for a specialized worker visa (in your case H1 or F1, don’t remember the code) or the green card from the diversity lottery.

The diversity lottery application are closed for the 2009 visas, so you’ll have to wait for the end of next year and apply for the 2010 visa, eventually.

In the end, if you want to move ASAP you either go there for studies or find a sponsor and hope to get the visa.

Best luck!

Thanks. I have already applied for the visa in the lottery :slight_smile:

Land on the East coast of Canada in a small boat and no papers. Claim refugee status. New Foundland is a good place to start. The people are friendly and the beer is not too bad. It’ll takes years to process your refugee claim, during which time you can "“get lost” in Canada.
Thousands of refugees go "missing"every year.
If you get deported, just come back and repeat the performance.

TNT

HAHA… Very Funny :slight_smile:

Getting a work visa in Canada is a lot easier than in the States. We’re currently looking at bringing in a coach from Australia to join our team. I can get any information that you need from our owner if you are interested in moving to Canada and forward it to you. You’ve got my email (and . . . my laptop is in the shop; I’ll forward my paper once I get it back. It’s a lot of Zatsiorsky, Matveyev, Harre that you’ve read already, but it brings a lot of the stuff together).

Scott,
Please send both of the stuff at duxx82@gmail.com. I’m not sure if you have changed your email. Thanks in advance!

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/story.asp?story_id=2320

By, Sam Snow
US Youth Soccer Director of Coaching Education

Every aspect of play coached at one age must be reinforced at the next age. Aspects taught at U6 must be taught again at U8, U10, and U12 and so on. What was learned at a previous age group or groups must be refined at the next age group.

Under-6
Technique: dribbling; shooting
Psychology: sharing; fair play; parental involvement; �how to play�; emotional management
Fitness: balance; running; jumping; introduce the idea of how to warm-up; movement education
Tactics: where is the field; which goal to kick at

Under-8
Technique: ball lifting and juggling; block tackle; receiving ground balls with the inside and sole of the foot; shoot with inside of the foot; toe pass and shot; introduce the push pass and throw-in
Psychology: working in pairs; sportsmanship; parental involvement; �how to play�; emotional management
Fitness: agility; eye/foot and eye/hand coordination; introduce the idea of cool-down; movement education
Tactics: being exposed to all positions; 1 v 1 attack; introduce the names of positions

Under-10
Technique: running with the ball; passing; instep drive; receiving ground balls with the instep and outside of foot; receiving bouncing balls with the instep (cushion) and sole- inside-outside of foot (wedge); throw-in; fakes in dribbling; introduce heading and crossing. For goalkeepers ready stance; how to hold a ball after a save; W grip; catching shots at the keeper; punting and introduction to goal kicks and throwing
Psychology: working in-groups of 3, 4 or 5; stay focused for one entire half; sensitivity; how to win or lose gracefully; sportsmanship; parental involvement; �how to play�; communication; emotional management
Fitness: endurance; range of motion-flexibility; proper warm-up and cool-down are mandatory now
Tactics: 1 v 1 defending; roles of 1st attacker and defender; 2 v 1 attacking; man-to-man defense; introduction to set plays

Under-12
Technique: feints with the ball; receiving ground, bouncing and air balls with the heel, shins, thigh, abdomen, chest and head; heading to score goals and for clearances-standing and jumping; chipping to score; outside of foot pass; bending shots; crossing to near post and penalty spot space; heel pass; kicking and receiving with inside of the instep; introduce half volley and volley shooting; introduce slide tackle. For goalkeepers footwork; bowling; low dives and forward diving; angle play; near post play; saving penalty kicks; introduce parrying and boxing
Psychology: teamwork; confidence; desire; mental rehearsal; intrinsic motivation; handling distress; how to learn from each match; sportsmanship; parental involvement; emotional management
Fitness: speed; strength; aerobic exercise
Tactics: 2 v 1 defending; 2 v 2 attacking and defending; roles of 2nd attacker and defender; combination passing; verbal and visual communication for all positions; commanding the goalmouth for the goalkeeper; half-time analysis; corner kick plays-defending and attacking; kick-off play; wall pass; beginning to identify potential roles for players-goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and/or forward; introduce the principles of defense

Under-14
Technique: chipping to pass; bending passes; crossing to the far post and top of the penalty area; half volley and volley shooting; slide tackles; heading to pass; heading backwards; diving headers; kicking and receiving with outside of the instep; outside of foot shot; dummy the ball; shoulder charge. For goal- keepers far post play; medium and high diving; parrying over the crossbar and around the posts; boxing and catching crosses; half volley (drop kick); kick saves; long over arm throws
Fitness: power; acceleration; anaerobic exercise; cardio respiratory and cardiovascular training Psychology: assertiveness; tension control; self and team discipline; stay focused for an entire match; sportsmanship; parental involvement; �how to play�; mental focusing techniques; emotional management; self-regulation
Tactics: individual and group tactics; compactness; command the goal area for the goalkeeper; role of 3rd defender; how to make recovery and tracking runs; throw-in, penalty kick and free kick plays defending and attacking; defending the defensive third-center and flanks; playing in the attacking third center and flanks; post match analysis; checking runs; take overs; switching positions during the flow of play; provide offensive support out to the penalty spot for the goalkeeper; zone defense; introduce the principles of attack

Under-16
Technique: airborne kicking-forward volley, scissors volley, Bicycle kick. For the goalkeeper backwards diving; saving the breakaway; all forms of distribution
Fitness: vertical jump; body composition; plyometric exercise; Weight training; interval training; S.A.I.D. principle
Tactics: group tactics; role of the 3rd attacker; principles of attack and defense; diagonal passing; dribbling and off the ball runs; wing play; overlapping runs; defending in the midfield and attacking thirds; all possible set plays; match analysis; switching the point of attack; should be developing the ability to adapt tactics during the flow of play; key players should be able to dictate the rhythm of the game; command out to the penalty spot for the goalkeeper; provide offensive support to the top of the penalty area for the goalkeeper
Psychology: personal accountability; drive; courage; sacrifice in order to achieve one�s best; sportsmanship; parental involvement; �how to play�; emotional management

Under-19
Tactics: team tactics; tactical/technical functional training; specialized tactics for a particular opponent; midfield play; attacking out of the back third; should be able to adapt tactics and change team formation during the flow of play; playing a role; command beyond the penalty area for the goalkeeper; support the attack from the defensive third for the goalkeeper; combination zone and man-to-man marking defense; tactical functional training; creativity on the attack; total soccer concept
Fitness: overload principal; fitness tests; follow the U.S. Soccer Olympic Team concept
Technique: technical/tactical functional training; all techniques rehearsed at match speed and at match related and match condition levels; technical functional training
Psychology: reduce mental mistakes; control emotions during a match; dedication; commitment; take personal responsibility for actions on and off the field; sportsmanship; emotional management; �how to play�; parental involvement; selfless-team comes first

Even players in their twenties must continuously refine the techniques and tactics learned earlier in their careers. Players have a personal responsibility to maintain and improve their physical fitness. Social and emotional growth is a life long process.

Please note that the priority of the four components of soccer changes according to the age group being coached.