LSU Wk 1

Yeah you don’t hardly see that in old school workouts.

We all talk about how poor D1 football SC training is, what about lsu workouts - is it the athletes or workouts?

LSU BODY BUILDING TRAINING - SPRINTS/HURDLES
Instructions: 30 continuous repetitions with light weight in approximately 40 seconds
Set your beeper watch on 40 seconds for exercise / 20 seconds for rest

These circuits are very similar to what we have seen but with slightly different movements etc.

If you take 44 steps in 100m would it be more appropriate to work to max strength for 22 steps/reps per leg.

U R a clown!!!

According to Pluto or what.

according to the 12 members of the Jedi council!

Are they all from Australia? Where all the sprinters are hiding.

Instead of bully boy tactics try explaining why I am wrong.

Have a look at the attached site, Ron Laura was the strongest man in the world at powerlifting a while back. I have had athletes win Aust age titles and one disabled athlete won a World title using his progs. They all went to Aussie coaches who called me a clown just like you and guess what? they didn’t get any faster.

http://www.dr-ronlaura.com/about.html

I exchanged a few PMs with PJ a few years back and he mentioned that some of his best sprinters on his crew are not doing crazy numbers either. NOT to discount lifting but it seems that not everyone needs to lift crazy numbers to run fast. I know PLENTY of 11 sec guys that can bench 315+ and squat 405+ and run the same thing year in year out.

Seems like the norm…they will have really good strength but not freaky unachievable for most levels.

Agreed and this was discussed recently in another thread-the lack of need of huge numbers to be very successful. Now, unfortunately, someone will interpret that as meaning the lifting serves no purpose in a developmental sense either which is exactly the wrong take home message. Just because the weight maxes are not as high for sprinter A vs. sprinter B or relative to athletes in other sports does NOT mean sprinter A did not derive some benefit from such training.

If they improved THEIR numbers to the point where their strength/power ouputs were higher and could be manifested in the sprinting itself then it did play a role. Naturally, like most general methods, there is a point of diminishing returns but even in that case a maintenance of such qualities can often allow for other abilities to improve.

Maybe read all the posts on this forum and you might know why!
The nature of the coaching and hierachy beast in Aust is to acquire the best athletes to justify their jobs. I myself have coached national jnr champs in sprints/jumps and hurdles, coached snr national winners and coached a masters world champion in varied events. And true the good athletes were acquired from me (all went backwards). Some were offered OAP funding to leave.
The 22 rep theory is like saying a 110mH guy should do the same principle but add a jump squat or fwd lunge every 4th rep.

Either that or for lower body strength make more use of the track.

Is that the rep range found to work best for strength gains? @ 70-85% 1RM, which would be light enough to avoid significant CNS stress and burnout.

So 22 reps total volume @ 70-85% 1RM? the way forward?. I’m usually in the 20-40 rep bracket.

Ha so true…

It’s all relative. Lifting is a part of training. One part of the puzzle. I think at the developmental level you can keep lifting as long as speed keeps improving also at the developmental level it’s prob a good idea to develop lagging body parts… Remember CF’s mantra “if it looks right it flies right”

Just a side note: by developmental I was referring to not just developmental level athletes but the role the weights serve to help develop any sprinter at even the highest levels.

If you were to throw all the sub-9.8 guys (meaning Ben, Mo, Powell, Gay, and Bolt) into a multiple correlation analysis, you’d probably come to the conclusion that there’s no correlation at all for weights.

Mike Young has made the point that while increasing weight numbers initially improve sprint performance, beyond a certain point, continued emphasis on increasing weight numbers has a negative effect on sprint performance, since increasing the weights gradually takes CNS resources away from track. So, one seems to need weight numbers that are “good enough,” but not more than that.

What is good enough?? What if Bolt could squat 600lbs, would he be faster - guess we never know…

Fuck and no.

It there’s a correlation it’s you dont need mythical strength to be fast

If Ben Johnson couldn’t squat anywhere near 600lbs, Would he be slower?. I reckon so. But don’t forget all the other defining & differing qualities of strength needed at all phases of a race to be successful.

People seem to be talking like Usain is weak. At the core?. The achilles tendons?. Hip flexors?.

lol.

A guy that produces that much power?. Take a walk.

You guys need to take extra looks at the EMG analysis for the squat in terms of glute, core, achilles, hip flexor activity. OVERRATED. Period. I’ve seen the data.