LSU: Trindon fastest footballer

Jamaal Charles wasn’t even close to his All-American 100m shape though, so it’s not the greatest comparison. If he was in 6.5-6.6 60m shape as opposed to 6.7high-6.8 60m shape, it would probably tell us a bit more.

Jacoby Ford has gotten beaten by Holliday heads up plenty of times. Clemson guys run fast in random meets–if you get beaten more than once head-to-head by a guy when you are fresh, you aren’t faster.

Saturday, 14 June 2008 100m sweep for Trinidad, impressive solo outing for Barringer - NCAA Champs Day 3

Richard Thompson after his NCAA 100m victory (Kirby Lee)

Des Moines, Iowa, USA - Fast sprinting and hurdling and good distance performances offset generally modest field events on the NCAA championships third day (13).

The men’s 4x100 saw three university teams going under 39 seconds, with Louisiana State (LSU) turning in the fastest time so far this year with 38.42, followed by Texas A&M at 38.58 and Florida at 38.84.

LSU’s foursome included Trinidadian Richard Thompson (TRI) and Trindon Holliday, who finished 1-3 in the 100 meters, Thompson winning in 10.12 (-0.5). Walter Dix, after an atrocious start, clawed his way up to fourth in 10.22.

The women’s 100 was won by Thompson’s countrywoman Kelly-Ann Baptiste of Tobago, who is also a student at LSU. She won handily in 11.20, and anchored LSU to a second-place finish in the 4x100 in 42.85 behind Texas A&M’s winning 42.59.

Impressive solo steeplechase performance for Barringer

Toward the other end of the distance scale, Jenny Barringer ran a brilliant solo 3000m steeplechase. Barringer clocked 9:29.20, an NCAA Meet and collegiate record, and the second fastest ever by an American.

“I went into this race wanting to run hard from the start, more than anything so that I was out of traffic and didn’t risk getting my shoe clipped,” Barringer said, referring to her mishap a year ago. “That was the main motivation. Secondly, my coach had on paper splits that I was supposed to aspire for if I felt good and my finishing time was 9:41. So, probably not to his disapproval, I totally overruled him." her performance was also a U.S. all-comers record.

Kyle Alcorn shaded Billy Nelson in the men’s steeple, winning 8:28.26 to 8:28.85 and breaking a stadium record set by former U.S. record holder Henry Marsh 31 years ago.

Teenager Anderson, Wilson claim 400m Hurdles titles

Both 400m Hurdles finals were impressive. 18-year-old Jeshua Anderson won his in 48.68 with a whirlwind finish over the last 50m, passing Rueben McCoy in the last step while favourite Justin Gaymon faded to third in 49.03 before suffering a disqualification. In the women’s race Nickiesha Wilson (JAM) of LSU and Nicole Leach of UCLA raced side by side for 50 metres in the homestretch before Wilson, who was fourth in Osaka, last summer, pulled away to win 54.45 to 54.62.

In the longest sprint, the men’s 400 semis setup an impressive final for Saturday. Jordan Boase won his in 45.23, while in the second semi LeJerald Betters edged Andretti Bain, 45.12 to 45.22.

The men’s 110m Hurdles semifinals were also hot. The first was won by Ty Akins in 13.25 (+0.4), nosing out Jason Richardson’s 13.29, the second by Drew Brunson in 13.39 (+0.8).

Hanany takes High Jump at 2.32

The best field event performance was a 2.32m victory in the high jump by Mickael Hanany (FRA). His celebration was dampened, though, by a hard slip as he planted attempting 2.35m. He limped off with what looked like a hamstring strain. Favorite Dusty Jonas, who cleared 2.36m in May, had to settle for a second-place tie here with Grant Lindsey at 2.26m.

Elsewhere, Sally Kipyego, a Kenyan who studies at Texas Tech, won the women’s 5000 in a meet record 15:15.08. Kipyego, who won the NCAA cross country title the last two seasons, was second in the 5000 last year.

James Dunaway for the IAAF

He won his Olympic title at 21 then I think I am right in saying turned to the NFL pretty much right away. Willing to be corrected on that though.

I dunno, there are plenty of guys who have pbs from their teens, possibly more so in the US??

I was trying to say that there might have been football players, in addition to Hayes, ahead of Holliday (but behind Hayes).

I certainly don’t think Holliday matches, much less exceeds, Hayes in speed.

jeff demps ?

why u hating on trindon, he had a bad start.

just to put it out there:

ivory williams, x-man, demps and capel all have or will play college football. and they all ran faster than holliday tonight

ANOTHER HATER. YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY.

trindon is my favorite sprinter. i was just more or less pointing out other fast sprinters. holliday has one of the best starts in the world, which on the football field counts for speed more than a 100meter time.

call me a hater when he doesn’t get blasted in the semis, but if he does scrape by to the final tell me his post trials plans. but for now the time’s he’s run back me up. 10.16 and 10.09 arn’t finals material at this point. if conditions are good it might take 9.9x to make the final

yep, and he will blow ur ass out the roof any day.

really? that was the best you’ve got. a 10.00 runner beats me? no i had no idea.

maybe if he wants to try some obscure event like 1 footed pole vaulting with a javelin i can take him, but other than that i’m pretty confident he’s a better athlete than me. still doesn’t change the fact that i don’t think he’ll make the finals.

if you had to be faster than someone to comment on them, neither you nor i would be allowed to say anything about anyone in the trials. just because you’re a holliday fan and i’m not doesn’t really mean that you need to get all rilled up because i think he’s gonna bomb out in the semis.

fwiw, he consistently runs my guy j-mee samuels indoor and out. this meet included.

you sound really silly right now, you just made my point ur trying to dog trindon and u cant even come close to beating him, you probably run 11.9. if you gonna talk shit about any world class athlete at least have enough respect to be close to there performance level. I could understand if drob or lKH was making ur comments. trindon had a shitty start and still made it to the next round, and if he have his typical start tomm he will be in the picture to make finals.

sorry thats not the culture of american sports and their fans, anyone can say anything, and if you watch espn, everyone in fact says everything. it carrys over to track and field as well.

i don’t have anything against trindon, i hope he does well, just looking at the two races he’s run(not alot to glean from the prelims everyone was just trying to make quarters…) he doesn’t really seem to be in great form. ncaa’s will do that to you. he’s coming off a long season and alot of people are fresher than he is. he normally has pretty good topend to go along with the great start, but he caught a horrid start and just didn’t look like he’d be able to overcome anything near that start again.

edit: this all started by me pointing out footballers who ran faster than him in this meet, just an observation. not trying to “dog ya boy” and then you start banging on with your “you’re a fucking hater man” bs. i really wasn’t even trying to talk shit about him, just point out all the footballers in the race, and that 4 of then ran faster than him, no knock against him really. then you blindly jumped in to defend your guy. and i responded with that by telling you what i honestly thought would happen to him in the rest of the trials.

ok bro, he advance to the next round which was his goal now anything can happen tomm. torri ran great through the rounds but not soo good during the finals - lesson learn.

i’ll let it go.

but you do realize arguing on the internet is well, a contest that no one wins?

bout time, let it go and go to the club.

I don’t actually know Dallas, but I think its fair to say that neither of us go around putting down the best effeorts of other sprinters, particularly those faster than we are.

That said though, it certainly looked like, besides the start that wasn’t up to Trindon’s usual, he just didn’t have it–and I don’t think this was conserving energy, because he barely survived to the next round. The comparison I’ll make is with Walter Dix, who already ran a 9.96 and just made sure he qualified in the quarters. Dix was injured a good part of the season and, as Ato said on the TV broadcast, is just now rounding into form.

Trindon looked to me like maybe he’s just worn out from all the NCAA racing.

Just like Dix last year