Losing Bodyweight

Hi everyone, I have a question. If one wanted to lose bodyweight, both fat and muscle, how would they go about doing it?

I presume one would up the volume of tempo and perhaps train more SE1 or SE2 while neglecting weights for a while, particularly the upper body. Obviously diet would need to be modified as well, but I’m more interested in the training aspect.

FWI, I currently weigh 200 lbs @ just under 6’1" with around 8-9% BF (I have fully visible abs). Also, I’ve never done a tempo session until today and up to this point I’ve only averaged around 2 hours per week of physical activity. I’m looking to trim down, both fat and muscle, for the 100M, and perhaps the 200M and LJ. I’d like to get down to around 185 or so and around 5% BF.

Thank you for your time.

You could increase your overall tempo volume but I wouldnt increase your speed endurance and wouldnt change the strength training - most of all just increase your overall activity each day for example do 100 pushups, 100 bw squats, 100 situps twice a day or go for a walk. I would keep the weight work low volume 3-4x1-3. Dont forget the diet its the most important thing when trying to change body comp.

Thanks, I’ll definately be adding some extra non-training activity to my daily routine. Also, as I said, I’ve never done tempo before today, so imagine that just including it will be a step in the right direction, even if the volume is moderate.

I agree, if your diet is in check the weight will melt off after adding the tempo at least for my athletes.

“weight loss” vs “fat loss” is completely different. For everyday Joe’s, to lose both fat and muscle mass, do aerobic work and don’t touch any weights. To maintain mass, perform sprint-type intervals (tempo) and intense weight lifting sessions. The research is clear on this.

However, for athletes, performing extra “sprint-based” work and weight sessions may hinder performance on the track (or other sport). You don’t want to overtrain the system, or risk fiber conversion from training at sub-optimal intensities.

Athletes might be better suited to spend a training phase to slim down and then progress into other phases, instead of trying to do everything at once.