Long to short annual plan

I would appreciate feedback on my annual plan as below.

I start GPP1 tomorrow and have no issue with that. Season runs from mid October to mid Feb (may go to early March if I go to Masters Nationals but will see how I’m running at the time). There is a break from mid December to mid January. No indoor facility. I will be using 2 x pw full body weights all way through. Focus is on 200 & 400 but will probably also run some 100’s. I have a history of doing WAAY too much and am determined to get adequate recovery this time.

GPP 1
10 weeks

Using GPP DVD plan as template but altered as

Week 1
hills & weights
tempo
rest
hills & weights
tempo
hills
rest

Week 2
hills & weights
tempo
rest
hills & weights
tempo
rest or tempo & maybe a med ball workout
rest

Tempo volume will be Long circuit through early stages but will build over last 5 weeks to prepare for SPP so at the end will be long + short circuit with 30 seconds recovery throughout.

SPP 1
9 weeks

100/200 template from graphs but with no pre comp phase. Will probably use the tempo sessions from the 400m graphs.

Mon rest
Tues SE 1 & weights
Wed 7 x 300
Thurs 600 breakdown
Fri rest
Sat SE 2 weights
Sun big & small circuit

GPP 2
4 weeks

SPP 2
12 weeks

as per 100/200 graphs including pre comp
weeks 1 to 9 as above but will drop a tempo session for weeks 10-12.

Comp 1
6 weeks

GPP 3
3 weeks

this will be around Christmas time

SPP 3
3 weeks

weeks 10-12 as per SPP 2

Comp 2
3 weeks

Recovery
2 weeks

Didnt you just finish your season, are you not going to take any time off.

Had the last week and a half as R&R and volume has been low since returning from a long holiday in late January. Tiredness isn’t an issue. :smiley:

A full year laid out, Damn i feel slack…
Now that you have the plan John, your feeling rested, its time to attack the plan.
Dont be scared of the Long program! ie, 600;s, the GPP if you do it well, will guide you to being able to handle the 600;s - The key to knocking off a decient time in that, is 1s off your 400m time!! Then just hang on. You quickly learn to last 10m more mtrs each time. Sometimes a split run, say 300m 30s rest 300m can be harder, for 10 or so seconds, your HR goes up, lactic starts to settle in your muslces and getting back into your original pace can feel harder. Hence, it could be “easier” and more benificial to run the whole 600m instead of split runs. The last 120m in the 600m is where it can feel so patheticly slow. However, i like to put it to myself, “thats where the training begins”. The 1st 480m is fluff, then the “real” training effect begins. Its good mentally.

Bold, thanks for the encouragement and comments. Don’t worry I’ll be going for it but also ensuring I get adequate rest…gee like he hasn’t said that before :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

If interested (and you should be :smiley: ) my training log is here the title sums it up :smiley: