London Cheetahs

Hi Guys
I’m in the process of forming a new sprint club; The London cheetahs. There was a short write up about it in last weeks Athletics Weekly.
The club will be based at Wimbledon Park track (south-west London - SW19).
My aim is to produce (as a base level) National Class junior and senior sprinters. I have equipped a gym at the track with machines and Olympic weights.
Coaching, track use and gym will be totally free. I have arranged a cut-price nutrition deal with EAS.
The club will be absolutely athlete-centered…everything will be aimed at improving the functional performance of the athlete.
Coaching set up and advice will be provided 365 days a year. The usual club set up cannot possibly achieve this and sticks to perfunctory training sessions prescribed at set times with little regard to individual athletes. No or little regard to gym work/nutrition/psychology or outside influences that affect athletes.
As well as nutrition advice, i will arrange for guest speakers to talk about psychology etc
I will do the massage, until i can arrange a proper masseur to donate a few hours a week.
I have been thinking about starting this club for the last year or so, but i was compelling to start it when the ‘sprint coach’ of the local club, when asked why he had no sub-11 sec sprinters in his club, said…“i dunno…there doesnt seem to be any talent around” I was so incensed at this patent bullshit that i just had to start my own club.
I have a definite vision about where i want to take this club…my ‘core customers’ will always be my athletes, everything springs form that.

This website is an awesome resource, my own experience (as a top Masters sprinter) and the advice i have read here, together with the million books i have read on training, physiology, nutrition, adaptive stress, etc, etc has led me to the conclusion that the typical, generic sprint training in the UK is mostly inadequate, damaging and not realising the potential we have in this country.

My vision of how i want my club to be, i think will be in accord with the psycholgy of the the young sprinter.
I have had a lot of support from athletes and some coaches; however there have been officials and coaches at my local club who are dead against it…obviously they wouldnt want someone to come along and ultimately produce sprinters that wipe the floor with theirs…it would show them for what they are…totally useless and damaging coaches.

I have loads of ideas…but im always willing to take advice/input from others; If anyone has anything thoughts, or can offer some advice, help or resources, i would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

I read about this. It is a great idea. I wish you the very best success. It is people like you who are going to help the UK transform our potential into medals.

Much respect.

TC

Hey, thanks very much TC!

Your kind comments are really welcome.

cheers

All the best!
Let the forum know how the whole thing is going! It should be very interesting…
Good luck!

Thanks Nik

Will do!

I wish all the best of success for your venture. Your attitude is both positive and progressive.

Not high on the list, but perhaps equipment that may be of benefit would be a video camera and computer. That way, you are only a logon and upload away from possibly receiving some “assistance” if you find the need or request such.

Again, all the best for you and the London Cheetahs. :wink:

Thanks,

Thats a good idea…im working on it!

best of luck to you, like in the U.K. soild sprint training at the junior/youth level is scant and some coachs here seem to lay in wait for a great athelte to come along.

would love to buy shirt when you get it up and running , let me know

do you work full time, part time or own a buisness or what?
how to you fund it? yourself?
are you doing this full time?
Just wondering how one affords to do this type of coaching as i would like to do the same??

Havent designed it yet! Got a lot of ideas…not certain yet! Perhaps the athletes could design it, as they would be the ones wearing it!

Good questions.

I could go on for hours about this. I will be available 7days a week, but not all hours every day!
Suffice to say, it doesnt matter what field of endeavour it is, but if your enthusiastic, passionate and have a vision than you will (must!) find a way.

Where are you based warrior?

Located in brisbane Queensland.
My work at the moment doesnt allow anything like that. I for instance just had 3mnths off work, but now about to go and do 8-10mnths of 10-12hr days. Doesnt leave any time for much else.
I am about to start my own company, and, things going to plan, after a couple of yrs, i will have the time to coach. My plan will be 8hr days. That leaves plenty of time to do whatever i feel and the money too.

anaerobic,

I would be interested in joining your club if you were to start it. I live in guildford at the moment but I am planning to move to london in september.

I like the sound of what are doing… and I agree with what you say about the coaching here. We are so far behind the USA and everywhere else in the uk!

“ANAEROBIC”

I admire your passion and enthusiasm. You certainly sound like you have the determination to ensure your venture succeeds and the club starts producing some sub 11s 100m runners.

The sport desperately needs more track coaches with the drive and desire to make it happen.

Have you any new members in the last couple of months since the London Cheetahs article appeared in the Athlete magazine?

If so, how are they going and will they be competing in London track meets this summer?

Hi youngy
Thanks for your support!!

Do you get AW over in Oz, or are you in the uk at present?

Still very early days yet!! I don’t know what the situation will be this year…depends on how club develops. Def next year tho.
All the best
:slight_smile:

“Anaerobic”

Saw the AW article about the London Cheetahs on their website.

I’m based in Sth Aust. Started up my own squad in 1999 and have just completed our 8th season. Have around 20 to 25 athletes at the moment. We run mainly on the pro-running circuit (handicap races for money, generally on grass tracks). From my knowledge of the Australian pro-scene we are currently the most prolific winners of pro-races in the country, averaging 21 wins per year for the last 5 years. (29 wins this season)

Age of athletes 16 to 31. 10 females and about 12-15 males. We run over distances 70m to 1600m, but the main focus are the 120m & 400m races.

We also run on the amateur scene in various competitions, but primarily we are a pro track stable.

It’s a pity pro-running is not strong in the southern part of the UK, your athletes would have a greater variety of competitions to choose from.

There is a circuit in Scotland (highland or border games) but most of the meetings lack the streamlined professionalism and prizemoney of the Australian meetings.

It’s a lot of hard work, but very satisfying when you find, nurture and develop a talented athlete and see them win a good race.

Hate to bump old news but, any updates?