Less than 30 days to World Championships

30 days to go to start of IAAF World Championships, Daegu 2011

Date29 Jul 2011 14:28:00
Count275

30 days to go to start of IAAF World Championships, Daegu 2011

Today in Daegu, Korea, the Local Organising Committee of the IAAF World Championships, Daegu 2011 (27 Aug to 4 Sep), are holding a special countdown event to celebrate the fact that there are now just 30 days more to go to the start of the championships.

To mark the occasion IAAF President Lamine Diack has issued the following message to the people of Korea:

“The World Athletics Family has only 30 days to wait before the start of the 2011 IAAF World Championships in Daegu, Korea on 27 August.

The IAAF World Championships, the top competition of our World Athletics Series, is a precious jewel, not only of Athletics, but of the whole international sporting calendar.

Let me read some of the impressive statistics from the last IAAF World Championships held two years ago in Berlin, Germany:

Nine competition days

2000 athletes

200 countries

10,500 officials and volunteers

500,000 spectators

More than $7 Million in prize money

8 Billion TV Viewers

Berlin has certainly set the bar high for 2011 but in Athletics, as in life in general, to beat the best, you must have ambition.

I know that the planning and preparation of the 13th edition of the World Championships in Daegu has been extraordinary, and we continue to work hard together in the same dedicated and professional manner to ensure a record breaking performance when the championships close on 4 September.

But despite all the hard work we also embrace and enjoy this tremendous sporting spectacle. During nine days we will watch the greatest athletes in the world, from more than 200 teams, together in Daegu for the biggest sporting event of 2011

As we approach the last lap, I offer my best wishes to all involved in the organisation of the championships.

Good luck and let’s get ready to welcome the world!”

Lamine Diack

IAAF President