Leg Press

My biggest issue is that due to my body structure it becomes too much of a lower back exercise. This is despite the fact that my lower back is already relatively strong when compared to my legs.

My lower back also feels vulnerable when I squat. I have never injured it squating, but I have never built up to decent strength level in the squat. If I built up to a decent weight, I feel that there would be a much higher risk of a lower back injury compared to someone with a body type more suited to squats

I have tried doing more of an olympic style squat with a more upright stance, but this requires my knees to go way past my toes. I have previously had knee surgery (around 5 years ago) due to a sporting injury, so i’m not keen on letting my knees shoot too far forward.

I guess when I said negatives, I really just meant the injury risk and the fact that my legs aren’t the limiting factor.

Yeah, I wasn’t very clear in my first post, but this is a big part of what I was getting at.

I don’t really understand your point.

Why cant you just position your feet higher up so that your knees don’t have to go past your toes?

Are you talking about a type of leg press machine where you can’t adjust your foot position at all?

yes thats my point, many of the leg press machines i have tried to use didnt allow me to position my feet high enough to take the stress off my knees. i mean i guess if the machine does leave u with enough room to get ur feet in the rite position have at it, but like i said im yet to see one

If you’re using too much low back, it may be due to more than just body structure. I will admit some are much better suited to squats than others. I’m 6’4" and have never felt incredibly comfortable with squats. It won’t be the end of the world if you stop doing them, but you might not give up just yet.

I used the same arguments when I first started squatting again. But I found something that really helped, and also drastically limits forward knee movement. Box squats. You might try working some light box squats, working strictly on form, making sure your posture, and the position of your knee, is good. Then slowly work up in weight. Who cares if you never hit bigger numbers, its all relative anyway. Improve you own numbers, and if you feel the need add leg presses, step ups, whatever to supplement.

Just to update, I tried using leg presses in my routine, but the movement just didn’t feel right.

Over the past few months, my lower body workouts have just consisted of bulgarian squats followed by some posterior chain work.

What do you guys think of using the trap bar deadlift as a substitute for squats?

Here is what I was thinking for a lower body day:

Trap Bar Deads - 3x8
Bulgarian Squats - 2x8-12
Back extensions - 3x12-15
Hip Thrusts - 2x8-12
Core (planks, ab wheel etc)

Any full deadlift variation will stress the low back more than a correctly performed squat, with much less stress on the leg. Did you try the box squat?

I would have thought that the trap bar deadlift would have less stress on the lower back.

Yeah, I tried out box squats, but I still didn’t feel enough stress in my legs.

Unless you are really leaning forward in the box squat, you are stressing the legs. It may not feel that way, but if you are remaining upright, you MUST be stressing the legs. Try widening your stance and remaining as upright as possible.

How about belt squats?

I would suggest deadlifts, too, either trap deads or straight bar. I have had back problems but never had a problem with deadlifts. Reverse hypers and glute/ham raises are good, too. Don’t care much for the leg press. If you do the deadlifts, put some platforms on the sides where the plates can rest, so you don’t have to pull from too low a position where you might involve your back too much. Depending on how large the plates are, you can block it up about 6 to 8 inches.

You’re talking about rack deadlifts. While I think they are great, I don’t see that they can be considered a substitute for squats.

Ok, you have talked me into it! I will give them another try.

To give you an idea of my proportions, I have a similar build to the kid in this video (although I am a tad shorter & heavier):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paAR3wjFFks

Do you have any tips on form when using box squats for sport, rather than for powerlifting?

Powerlifters seem to keep their shins perpendicular to the floor, whereas the kid in the video is letting his knees shoot forward. This allows him to stay more upright. Which style would you recomend I use?

It looks like a great exercise, but unfortunately my gym doesn’t have the equipment for it.

Yeah, I like regular deadlifts, but I feel like I am weak in my quads and already relatively strong in my lower back.

When I used to do squats, I could do RDL’s for reps with significantly more weight than my squat 1RM.

Since you’re using box squats as a max strength exercise, there is no reason, at least, initially, to mimic a powerlifter stance. Remember, not all powerlifters lift with really wide stances.

Read some articles by Dave Tate. He has some good ones on the box squat. Initially, squat light and a little high. Once you find your groove, slowly increase weight while maintaining proper form. Then drop the weight and lower the box. In fairly short order, you will find your groove.

Trap Bar DL is key- do it.

I agree that box squats are a really great lift. Don’t believe me? Go over to the westside barbell site, or their videos on youtube. They almost always train with boxes and those guys move some serious weight.

You said you were a tall football player-- like me. I have the exact same lower back issues, which i was always told it was just a hamstring tightness problem. My advice to you, stretch those hamstrings and squat on a box!

Dont just touch and go on the box, Sit completely down on the box and use a wide stance. Check out westside barbell, and they’ll teach you how to do them.

Yeah, I would prefer to start out with a high box and work my way down. Unfortunately though, my gym doesn’t have any suitable boxes, so I have to do them onto a low bench which is a few inches below paralell for me.

I did some last night with a pretty light weight and my glutes are pretty sore today.