Last 5-8 weeks before Football camp

Please critique. Coming down the home stretch with training camp around the corner here is what we are doing in our last phase of training. (hs,college and pro football players). Our lifting as based on westside barbell principles.

Mon:Speed work(30-60 yard ranges)/Max effort bench.
=we’ll do a couple of cone drills as described below wed at the end of the sprints.

Tues:Tempo work(100’s in varying sets)
position technique work

Wed:Sports specific speed work(plyo’s)/Speed squat
-I call it this because i’m trying to get more sports specific while maintaining the concept of a speed day. so we’ll do various change of direction drills with a 10-15 yard full out sprint at the end.Drills are to be done all out as we rest in-between reps and drills ala’ speed day.
=I’m considering plyo’s here at the end of the drills; a total of 15-20 jumps.

Thurs:Sports specific endurance day:
I’m trying not to tax the CNS on ths day but to blast the cardio system by doing various drills related to footabll as well as some that force you to dig down to complete (like wheel barrow carries) these drill can be anything from bear crawls to burpee’s. The possibilities are endless. i would like some feedback on how to do this without hitting the cns to hard if anyone has any ideas.

Fri:Tempo work/speed bench
=again 100’s at various sets and reps.
Position specific technque

Sat:max squat

Sun:Off

During the week, what day would you do one on one drills (ie. wr/db; rb,lb)

Thanks for responses
jb

“every person is self made but only the “successful” will admit itt”

:afro:

Originally posted by ninth0
-I call it this because i’m trying to get more sports specific while maintaining the concept of a speed day. so we’ll do various change of direction drills with a 10-15 yard full out sprint at the end.Drills are to be done all out as we rest in-between reps and drills ala’ speed day.
=I’m considering plyo’s here at the end of the drills; a total of 15-20 jumps.

Why bother with a speed squat day when you are already doing all kinds of ‘sports specific’ speed work?

Why not do your strength work in the gym and your speed work on the field?

I’ve learned and also noticed that the ability to move more weight explosively has translated to being more explosive in running and on the field. Working directly with louie simmons has shown me that starting strength and accelerating strength can be trained in the weight room and again transfer to performance away from the gym.

Working directly with louie simmons has shown me that starting strength and accelerating strength can be trained in the weight room and again transfer to performance away from the gym.

strength in the weight room directly affects 0-10m speed. this is why olympic lifter can accelerate at the same rate as sprinters.

great program

The only change I would make is to get rid of the tempo 100’s from friday’s workout. If you feel a need for 2 tempo 100’s per week move it to thursday. It fits with the point, objective of the day, low drain on CNS work. I personally would not include a 2nd tempo 100’s in the week.

In response to your question about where to put one on one drills it seems to me you already answered your own question
in your description of your days if full recovery (or almost full recovery) on DE SQ/DL day, wednesday, if geared toward conditioning with short rest intervals then on thursday.

Mon:Speed work(30-60 yard ranges)/Max effort bench.

Fri:Tempo work/speed bench

Sat:max squat

Sun:Off
[/b]

The Speed Squat and Speed Bench are at ~ 65% ?

Maybe you’d post a copy of the Weights Sessions out of interest?