Last 40 meters of a race

Did anyone watch the pac-10 championships. If so, what exactly did phillip francis(the 100 meter winner,10.29) do at about 40 meters left in the race. It look like he had a high knee type action going on. My friend said that Justin Gatlin does something like that for the speed mantainance part of his race. Charlie, herb, kitkat, and others please elaborate…

yeah i watched that race. his knee lift in both the 100 and the 200 was amazing. he didnt look great out of the blocks, but once he was up and going, he was so smooth.

Remember, in order to look great at top speed (last 40m), you first get to a great top speed.

In the 100, many people think their speed endurance is poor when in fact it is their max velocity that is poor. You can have the best sprint mechanics and speed endurance in the world but if you peak out at 10m/s, you’re still going to get toasted.

Basically, what your saying is to achieve what he did your 10/s has to be on point? I just want to make sure I’m understanding you clearly.

I mean that your acceleration to top speed and top speed itself has to be on point. Once you have accelerated to a blazing top speed, your form & posture will allow you to maintain that speed.

By 10m/s I mean 10 meters per second. If you can only run 10m/s but have beautiful form, you’re still going to run 11.5.

I appreciate your information. It makes a lot of sense. It coincides with everything that I have been taught. Thank you again.