Kobe Bryant STATS in GYM

Gonzales is a perfect example. He was a great athlete, but mediocre basketball player from Cal. Definitely not NBA caliber as a tweener, but got to run with the Heat last summer league.

Guys like Watson, Troupe, and Winslow are freaks, but they’re where they belong on the football fields. The only PF’s that I could think would even have chances in football are some of the 6’6 post guys who don’t have a position. Now Lebron or Iverson as skill guys is another story.

List some names. 90% of them would be snapped in half.

I hope you are joking.

Just off the top of my head:
Corliss Williamson 6’6 245
Darvin Ham 6’6" 240
Danny Fortson 6’7" 260
Rodney Rogers 6’7" 270
Gary Trent 6’6" 250
Malik Rose 6’6" 250
Ben Wallace 6’6 245
Some of these guys could obviously put some quality weight on as well.

All these guys have prototypical NFL tight end size and athletcism. If TE’s were so plentiful, why does the NFL go after college basketball players like Marcus Pollard (Colts) and Antonio Gates (Chargers) who did not even play college football, and these guys are putting up good numbers.

You said the “best tight ends are all” in the NBA. The only ones on that list who’d even have a chance are Ham, Wallace, and maybe Williamson 5 years ago…Dumars is smart, huh?

Of course the NFL will look at raw athletes (Lesnar). That’s the exception, not the rule. Those guys were marginal basketball players anyway. What makes a good NBA PF does not make a good NFL TE.

I think there is something to be said for proper sport selection. Alot of these guys have all the necessary qualifications for an NFL TE. The problem is that most inner city high schools (like Philly, NYC, Detroit, Baltimore) have weak football programs (there are exceptions) because of lack of funding. Alot of times, there aren’t even any JV programs at these schools. Basketball is king in most cities. A guy like Gary Trent is good example. He’s a ripped 250 with a 35"+ vertical. He’s a marginal NBA player (bit undersized for PF) but maybe could have been an all pro TE. Choosing the right sport for your body type is critical.