King Carl cautions Bolt

London 2012 Olympics: Usain Bolt faces ‘big challenge’, says Carl Lewis

Carl Lewis, the former Olympic gold medallist, says that Usain Bolt faces a “big challenge” in London 2012 when the Jamaican sets about defending his two Olympic sprint titles.

By Telegraph staff 12:12PM GMT 09 Nov 2010

The Jamaican produced one of the most memorable performances of any Olympiad when he blitzed to 100 metres gold at the Beijing Games two years’ ago, recording a world record 9.69 secs in the process.

The 24 year-old then lowered Michael Johnson’s 19.32 secs mark in the 200m final by 0.02 secs.

However, Lewis, who won gold in the 100m at the 1984 and 1988 Games, told the Metro newspaper: "You know what? The Olympics is two years away and it is amazing what can happen in that time.

[b]"It’s a big challenge. I am the only one who has ever been able to double up and win 100m gold at successive Olympics and I can tell you it’s a hard thing to do.

“It’s very difficult to come back and win for a second time because there’s a lot of people out there who want to beat you.” [/b]

Lewis, 49, also believed that Bolt’s world record - he lowered his mark to 9.58secs at last year’s World Championships in Rome - will duck below the nine-second barrier in the future.

He added: “We will be long gone by then but it is always going to be reduced because people always want to beat the best.”

Meanwhile, Bolt won one of the top honours at the 29th annual Commonwealth Sports Awards in Birmingham at the weekend, despite opting out of the recent Games in Delhi.

Bolt walked away with the Outstanding Male Athlete accolade while British heptathlete Jessica Ennis, the current World and European champion, picked up the Outstanding Female Athlete award.

its true what he says but bolt is in a different league and injuries are a major factor!

i remember when bolt set the current WR- carl lashed out instead of thinking what he was saying. basically he questioned how an athlete can go from 10 to 9.69 in a matter of 2years or so since then id say his sponsers have told him to zip it

The entire climate has changed for Bolt in a way that was not so much the case for Lewis.

Tyson looked faster than ever (to me) at the end of 2010. Bolt has his work cut out for him.

^ I agree with Rainy.here. While 9.58 still sounds otherworldly Gay has inched his way down enough to still be a threat, it’s no cakewalk for Bolt.

Really though anything could happen, two years is a long time. Who in 2006 could predict what we saw in Bejing 2008? Come 2012 we might be talking Blake, Lemaitre, and Ryan Bailey, you never know.

Remember Gay’s 2008 Olympic Trials and Olympics. He blew out the warp drive at/after the 100, and that was basically it for his Olympics. And unless Mills can legislate what sex moves Bolt is permitted to do with his girlfriend(s)…

Strange stuff happens in the Olympic year and you can not compare or predict until very close in and even then it aint over till its over.
A lost chance is rarely recovered but you really can not discount someone who has been around for so long and done so well as Gay. Something to be said for just floating around the edges.

Strange stuff happens…

Tyson has gained some confidence…

I think Bolt was starting to take Tyson for granted. Some what.

It will be exciting to see what happens in 2011.

I agree as well.