kettle bell competitors - yet flat hamstrings

One has to wonder about authors tha talk about animals in the wild sprinting and being injury free.
1 - who says injury free? An injury leads to a slower animal who gets eatin by another??
2 - compared to humans? In that sence, you need to compare the animal not to Trained athletes but to xbox champs who sprint to the letter box for their latest pizza delivery
3 - race horses and greyhounds are the sprinters animal sprinting cousin. The trainers I have encountered for these animals still use massage and Vets and also run into training issues just like humans.

not sure where you are heading to with these.

If the article starts off this way, then the assumptions during the course of the article will typically reflect this.

Just because an animal is faster than a human, do we therefore need to worry about How, Why, When or anything about that animal?

Just because an animal can run lets say 30km/hr faster than a human naturally - who cares. It’s mute.
One needs to consider how much one can improve upon their natural ability - and looking at Untrained subjects that are faster than humans does not help.
What helps is looking at how Such and such animal or Human got 1 or 2 or 3 seconds quicker from base over say 100m
If a scientist can make a cheater run 2-3sec quicker over 100m than the same cheater ran 1-2years ago, then that’s something.

Also - if one trains Specifically using weights for specific Action of their event - what does one do when the Life Cycle of Adaption ends? eg, roughly 12-16wks depending on strength or special endurance method adopted. You cannot replace it with anything else as anything else is no longer specific, so you end up just training Specific patterns year round - and performance suffers or stalls.

Clearly the scientists did extensive and individual interviewing at various zoos and wild life parks. Most ( animals) reported little to no injury. ( that would be my guess anyway)

Wrong. And the article does make some very valid points.

Here is the link to the full article if anyone is interested,as it may well relate in some of its conclusions to the topic of this thread:

http://www.biowiss-sport.de/newstud.PDF

Thank you Angela.

I decided last night that from now on - my only weights exercise for the lower body will be deep squats.
And I will try to avoid the temptation to work other strength exercises in to the program. I think its better to stick to basics - and look for improvements there - than to continously experiment - as I’ve been a sucker for experimentation.
I also like the idea of sprinting up steps with my 60 Ib weight vest - this might come under ‘speed’ work?, or atleast max RFD work.

Speed? Max RFD? Why and how can you define such a double resisted movement application as such? Both up steps and weight vest are means to slow you and any of your rates down,surely not to make them any faster!

You’re probably right - however…

1. I dont compete in track & field.

2. Doesn’t mean I’m not an explosive athlete - as I competed in basketball and could slam dunk with my eyes closed - 360 dunks - you name it. For a white guy - 6ft 1in - not bad. two step vertical of 39 inches.

3. I dont have access to a running track. And never have done. (Which really pisses me off.)

4. I’m not going to mash up my knees, ankles and achilles tendon by running on the concrete promenade near the beach.
    (The concrete paths are for the slow soft joggers - not for explosive adrenalin type athletes).

5. As there is no running in my program - I have to compromise and make serious substitutes.

6. Since my last post - I’ve allready changed my mind - and am not going to do the running up cliff steps (for no other reasons than… I hate the cold shitty weather round here - especially this time of year). Plus I’m swapping the lunges for deep squats. Tried lunges last night and could tell straight away - they dont develope the same power as squats.
    And… seriously… running up steps is just TOO easy. Even with a weight vest. I use to hop up those cliff steps - 1 leg at a time, two steps per single leg hop. And its a lot of steps. And it got to friggin easy - so there was no extra stimulas from it.

7. As for rate of force developement - I though that was developed by applying max (speed / force) to whatever resistance there is?

So what is better for RDF?
Squats with ‘light’ weight - applying max accell to bar? or
Squats with ‘medium’ weight - applying max accell to bar.