kelly b

I’m looking through Kelly B no bull speed training book, just want to see what you guys think about the whole quad dom athlete. For someone who is quad dom they should stretch the quad and rectus femoris at least twice a day for 20sec, utilize plenty of dynamic stretches, and get away from any quad dom activity like squats and utilize more deadlifts and box squatting because they are more post chain dom. I know CF dont like box squats, so im curious how he would handle this particular athlete to make him/her more post chain dom?

Deads are a good solution.

Charlie,

Would you also incorporate deads into soccer players strength sessions as they are notorious for their quad dominance??

CF what about if the athlete is a track and field sprinter, as we all know deadlifts really overload the cns (unless we talking about snatch dl) esp in advance athletes, would you ever consider box squats? Even if the athlete use sdl i just dont think it would be wise to get totally away from back squatting for long periods of time and it could possibly take months to correct this problem, what do you think?

If there’s a quad dominant prob and back squats were in all along, something front dom has to go or something like a dead had to be added.

So if there are two strength session per week we could just drop the back squats on the second session and add snatch dl?

If the back squat was all that was there and there’s a front dominant issue- something’s wrong- not deep enough to activate the hams etc. So I don’t know why the squat has to go in one session (assuming it’s done right in the other) if you’re worried about CNS stress from the dead, as the DL can be used in a secondary/supplemental role to the squat.

No this athlete has not been during any kind of dl mostly back, front squats, rdl, glut ham and at times single leg work (stepups, lunges etc). Some athletes quads are highly activated when performing normal back squats thats why I think the back squats has made him more quad dom then the normal person. CF are you saying that its ok to perform back squats and a dl in the same session twice week???

Yes I am- taking one lift as primary and the other as secondary only. if the quads are more highly activated for some from the BS- something I didn’t really run across for those who went deep enough- you could switch primary and secondary focus on the sessions in the week.

Remember, theses sessions occur after the sprints, which controls the load potential, reducing, or even eliminating it at times, and the numbers of lifts are low overall (if you go to the weights shortly after sprints, the warm-up sets are greatly reduced as well)

Thanks CF for the help, what I may do is have him lighten the load on the bs and go deep even deeper.