Justin gatlin french documentary 2015

http://www.entrainement-sport.com/athle/justin-gatlin-reportage-video-bein-sport.html

catch it before it disappears.

Great find Chris6878, few thoughts:

• given Gatlin’s repeated assertion that he is aggressive, a barbarian, and a monster (coupled with my personal belief that he lost to Bolt due to an utter strategical/tactical fail in going into the finals in a state of hyper tonus from going too fast in the heats and semi’s) my question is did he go too fast in the rounds on his own accord and what Mitchell’s input was on that end going into each race.
  • in reference to what I stated in another thread regarding the lack of transfer seen between sprint drills and actually sprinting, notice the mechanical sloppiness (general lack of paying attention to movement) the athletes demonstrate in the hurdle walkovers. Lack of balance, breaking at the knee of the support leg, arms all over the place, poor posture, yet…at least regarding Gatlin, here we have one of the fastest sprinters of all time who is very mindful of his technical execution of actual sprinting. While there’s no question that the overall biomotor/biodynamic structure of hurdle walkovers are distant from that of sprinting, I always find it curious why athletes, particularly the world’s elite, fail to devote mechanical optimization to all that they do, and not just some of it.

great clip. first of all mechanically gatlin is very good and honestly I think the mens 100m was a political stunt. ive been listening to the iaaf,bbc and lord coe talk BS for months and they got their wish. praise the lord- the good guy won bla bla blaa!

secondly- hurdle drills. why do we do them? ange you want to give your opinion as you’ve walked the walk? clearly we see gatlin has made some major changes to his biomechanics and in turn is running faster and dropping 9.7’s all year.

in my experience the best mechanical change ive ever seen was in Leroy burrell from 92 to 95…wow

As for the hurdle drills, aside from being very useful for hurdlers for obvious reasons, for the pure sprinter they are helpful for opening up the hips in a way that can facilitate marginal improvements in reducing movement restriction about the hips which has the potential to improve sprint velocity. Dan Pfaff shared a stat he’d gathered with me that pointed to this fact. I can’t remember the specifics, however, they were impressive.

James,
I am not sure about what you are saying here with regards to the conversation that was from the other thread regarding drills.
Are you saying that drills are not transferable for the sprints?

When I met Charlie in February of 1988 I was blown away by his knowledge regarding the simplest aspects of training which had to do with sleep, eating and resting and running fast to get fast. He blew me away as I had gone from fast youngster on the track to slow fat chick who was as frustrated as hell. Classic girl crush on coach. When I began to get the Coles notes on track politics I never believed any of it. I thought he was making shit up. I really did. Then I went to Europe with him and the team and I watched how little the meet promoters cared about the others when Ben did not run and how Charlie was stuck paying over 20 k for all the rooms and flights and how Charmaine felt it was reasonable to kick Charlie out of his room because she did not like her room. It was not big enough. Then happened 1988. Then Charlie spent every dime we had on phone calls. I am talking over a thousand dollars per month phone calls. I remember asking him when he felt things might be different. 20 years was his comment. He was almost about right. Before he died he did so knowing this site told his story about his life about his training and about his athletes. Its’ not all like that everywhere in the world. Charlie has his life and his story and its his , no one else can make claim good or bad to this story. And I would like to believe That in 1989 Charlie Dubin put an end to the politics in sport.
I am only able to speak about what I went through in track. Gatlin has done a good job. Likely most in the positions what count were not favoring Gatlin. There are many reasons for that. I don’t understand why our Canadian was in the outside lane. I don’t understand why the optics of that race were looking so staged. Canadian and French in outside lanes, Jamaica smack in the middle and the Us guys on either site. Insight someone please? My favorite part was that Mr. B ran 9.79 to win the World Championships in 2015 when Ben ran that in 1988. Bolt was lucky maybe.

About the hurdle drills. Umm.
One of Charlie’s athletes Katie was ranked in the top 3 or 4 in the world in the 100 meters as a junior. There was no contest for her if I had run the 100 meters. I was fast but not under 11:30 for the 100 meter fast. I could have decent in the 60 meters had I started early but who knows for sure.
I beat Katie in the 60 meter hurdles to make my first National team. She was lazy and I wasn’t.Charlie’s words not mine. She was fast, relied on her speed and I had to rely on my leg turnover and drills and anything I could get which was to get as strong and fast as possible.
There is a specificity of each event. At a certain point you don’t need perfection. After you reach a certain level you need to do routine knife sharpening. If you are a sprinter and you want to hurdle you can only rely on speed or you can back up a bit and hone the hurdle drills over and over and over but not outside the relationship that the hurdle drills will have on your entire program. I did not do drills all day but drills were very very important in my training. I spend most of my time doing drills now even if they are in slow mo. It’s step one before running more.
As for Gatlin, it’s tough because at the very top it’s a different game entirely. Charlie has been on the record regarding what he felt the future of this sport would be and it’s very interesting to see him appear to be correct. Those who have will continue to have and those who don’t will find it hard to be apart of the status quo.

I think the guys need to do more hurdle drills because they are higher. Woman’s hurdles are not very high in relation to the woman’s overall and average height but at the very very highest level you still need excellent technical abilities to pull off the best runs consistently.

Hello Angela, what I was referring to in that post was that we’ve all seen plenty of sprinters/athletes who demonstrate mechanical efficiency on drill yet have issues with the actual sprint technique. Alternatively, we’ve all seen sprinters who have excellent technique while sprinting yet are far from the model of efficiency when doing drills.

What I take issue with is when I see sprinters who just go through the motions when performing drills, regardless of how well they sprint.

Regarding sprinters/athletes who demonstrate inefficiency while sprinting, we must then analyze the nature of the mechanical problem occurring during sprinting and determine what must be done to correct it. In this way, we then determine the relationship between each drill and its influence to the different phases of the sprint, for each sprinter.

ben on that track wouldve blasted bolt and gatlin something nasty