Jones 11.28 Green 10.03

Jones races to win in 100m in Martinique
May 1, 2005 - 10:14AM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Marion Jones won her first race in 11 months Saturday, sprinting to victory in the 100 metres at an IAAF Grand Prix meet.

Jones led from the start and paced an American sweep in the event, finishing in 11.28 seconds, ahead of Wyllesheia Myricks and Melissa Barber, who each finished in 11.35. France’s Sylviane Felix was fourth in 11.36.

The winning time at the Meeting du Conseil General was well off Jones’ personal best of 10.65, set in 1998.

Jones, who had a disastrous showing at the Athens Olympics, won the 100 twice last year, at Kingston, Jamaica, on May 8 in 11.04, and at the Home Depot Invitational on May 22 in 10.99. She also won the long jump at both meets.

The winner of three gold medals at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, Jones had a disappointing 2004, when she was implicated in a US government investigation into steroids distribution and failed to win a medal in Athens.

She got off to a slow start this season, finishing last in the 400 metres at the Mount San Antonio College Relays, 25 yards behind the winner in 55.03. At the Kansas Relays, Jones’ 800 relay team was disqualified after a poor handoff.

Advertisement
AdvertisementJones boyfriend, Tim Montgomery, struggled in the 100, finishing fourth in a race won by former world record holder Maurice Greene in 10.03.

France’s Ronald Pognon was second in 10.09, and American Dwight Phillips was third in 10.14. Montgomery finished in the same time as Phillips.

Montgomery, who set the 100 world record of 9.78 in 2002 in Paris, did not qualify for the 2004 Olympics.

Montgomery has been charged by the US Anti-Doping Agency with using performance-enhancing drugs. His case will be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. He faces a lifetime ban if found guilty, but can continue to compete until his case is decided.

Montgomery has never tested positive for drugs, but USADA charged him based on evidence in the government investigation into the San Francisco-based Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.

Hope Marion and Tim both kick on from here. I’ve met them both and they were always courteous toward me, so I wish them the best.

Greene was so effortless in heats (10.24) that i thought OMG he’s back in shape. In final he led all the way. Ronald’s accel in both heats and final was nothing special, I timed him in 6.55 at 60m point, nothing compared to his 6.45 ER indoors (6.51 for Mo, while he did only 6.54 indoors). However that’s a 100m PB for him, 10.09 vs 10.11 last year. Phillips was 2nd until Ronald passed him in the last 20 meters. Is it me or Tim is over-weight?
On the other hand, Marion has lost a lot of muscle mass, it was obvious in her arm, and then in her race. Her 11.28 is in accordance with her mid-23 relay leg and 55 time at 400m, she has no kind of endurance for the moment (a little like last year by the way).