John Smith GPP!

T. Tempo, notice the CF influence
100-100-100 50m walk btw reps/100m btw
sets
100-200-100-100
100-100-200-200
100-200-100-100
100-100-100= 2200 meters

in 1996 loren Seagrave came to australia and coached at a world junior camp.

this is the exact same tempo session he handed out to everyone. i still have all the notes from all his preffered sessions.

is there a book a sth else Johns Smith has written?
Or how do you know about his program?

notes from Seagrave?

can you provide them?

The "big circuit’ got around- from John Smith to Bobby Kersee, to Loren Seagrave etc.
I got the runs idea from Gerrard Mach but the rate of execution limit and recoveries were my interpretation of a supporting means for the true speed work.
Gerrard continued to intensify the series over time and spread the breaks between the sets of runs. From what I have seen, most other coaches did it the way I suggest.

I worked at a track camp five years ago as a staff coach and in one of his lectures on the subject, Seagrave credited Charlie as the source for the big circuit that he also reccomended.

Seagraves Tempo

Session A

often times the “big warm up” can be written to serve as an extensive tempo session when done continuously.

Session B

total distance 1000m to 2000m
10 x upper body - 100m tech build up 75% - 20 abs - 100m tech build up. repeat.

Session C

5 sets of the following
100m - 50 walk - 100m - 50w - 100m

Session D

segment runs
total distance (1000-2500m)
run distances (100m - 250m)
recovery (1/2 run distance)
alternate short and long distances

Session E

“Triangle Run” (10 min, 15 min, 2 x 10 min, 2 x 15 min)
using a 30m - 40m - 50m triangle
begin 10 x upperbody
40m side do 20m shoot lunge then 20m Vmax A skip
50m side do step over run
30m side walk back and repeat.

Session F

10-15 x 150m tech build up 75% 50m walk rest

if i have time will post other notes in coming days.

Friday… 20-30 minute run? I thought that would be way to much time to spend on a run for a sprinter, particularly a 100m man. I guess not then, seeing as Charlie had his world class sprinters do that.

Doing what? 20 - 30 min run? That’s news to me… What you quoted had “John Smith GPP” as title, no?

That’s Loren’s isn’t it?

It said 20-30min run on friday, in the first post of this thread. In later post, you said John Smith got it from you. The paper that you handed out in 1981.
That is why I am asking the origin of the paper (yourself) as to why a 30 min run was included. The duration/mins of that run suprised me unless it is more aimed at 400m guys. Either way, I am sure you have a good enough reason for including it, if indeed it was you that suggested a 20/30 min run in one of the sessions.

He said John Smith got the “big circuit” from him, which is only one workout, not the entire schedule.

I guess it’s a misunderstanding or just the usual form of polemic arguments: Somebody might say: No, Smith’s training is completely different, because he does one or two things different (like the continous run). Seen that already (on other boards, too).

My bad, I miss-interpreted the first quote from Charlie in this thread.

Edit
Edit
Edit.

Charlie,

Question,
Any difference in the 6-8 wk session
prescription for someone who is:

*Eventually moving on to 60m indoor competition
*100m training for outdoors
*200m outdoors
*Any of the above who will be trained short to long vs long to short…

What I see from Ato’s log for 2000:

GPP: extensive tempo (1500m/session), gradually becoming faster, some IT by end. Nothing listed longer than 300’s, and I don’t see a big circuit in the log.

SPP1 (indoors): speed (60’s 2X/week, starts 1-2X/week), some SE I following 60’s, limited tempo.

SPP2 (outdoors): limited speed, limited tempo, and a LOT of special endurance, switching to alactic 2-3 weeks before comp season.

Some interviews (I have one of these) imply Smith doing long-short, but I see Ato doing short-long. Possibly, the indoor comp season and competing in 200s as well as 100s later causes a difference…or perhaps HSI really does short-long, interviews notwithstanding.

Is there a copy of Ato’s training log from 2000 available to see?

I have a copy that I printed out from Ato’s website on 12/6/2000. This was the html file called “Train With Ato” and I stll have the whole thing, but the whole thing is 9 whole printed pages, so it is quite lengthy with all of Ato’s personal comments. I have typed in all the workouts and times from the “Train With Ato” printout, including weights, grouped into weeks, as a Word file, so I can use it as periodization help, and this is much easier to look at, to see what the training is. I also have an interview with John Smith about Maurice Greene’s track training that was published in Finland around the same time and was translated from Finnish (unabridged, as far as I know). Both of these are Microsoft word (.rtf) files, and the two files are 27K and 10K bytes in length.

But this is Charlie’s website and these things are HSI, and I’m not sure that I’m supposed to post these things here.

Charlie, Rupert, moderators, can you please comment?

I’m not sure what the fair use rules are. Perhaps Rupert can comment.

Just checked. We can print sample workouts for discussion but we can’t cut and paste Ato’s material without his permission.