Jayson Grimes Long Jump 27' 10" Blast from the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDwN83-3rbs&list=UUE_HRDp99q7dJ5tWy26HYpg

Great youtube channel for the Long Jump- Athleticjumps

How big he was! Looked like a Running back.

Yeah, I thought it was Herschel Walker myself when I first watched it :stuck_out_tongue:

I tested my LJ back in Nov. 13 only after my weight was in check by lifting weights (Pull, Push and a Squat) in the early AM for several months.
I surprised myself by the distance.
I may even make another comeback albeit Masters this time. Both comebacks separated by 10 years.
In fact, I have been training patiently for it since Nov.
Masters in SACTO in July…Can you say “Home Field Advantage”

more to come…

Awesome. Towards the end of August 2012, after what was a pretty steady 8 months of weightroom work and 3xweekly volleyball, I discovered that my standing vertical was higher than I’d ever measured before. I was 31 at the time.

Nice. I was already extremely fit with a six pack but b/c of my schedule it was necessary for me to switch to hitting the weights (heavy) in the AMs (after a good warm-up) which is something I have never done before.

The weight came off b/c I didn’t eat before I worked out. Yes, I lost a lot of weight from both fat and muscle but as long as the weight and reps kept moving up…I was ok with it. It’s all about performance for me.
I got down to 165 lbs…and could have got down to 154 if I had to “cut weight” for a boxing match. I’m back up to 175lbs.

Even though I never lifted heavy in the AM before I went in with a positive mental attitude PMA that I would advance my strength while losing weight for a brief period. I also wrote down my goals with the smallest detail being covered. The mind is very powerful and once someone finally realizes this…they will write down more things…and not put in as much garbage i.e. self doubt, negative things, etc.

I learned that way back in 87 when I bought the book “Peak Performance” by Dr. Garfield? Russian sports scientist? The only LJ in my life that I ever “blacked out” in were the ones I wrote about a year before hand and read them everyday in the am and pm for months.

Reading this book got me to start recording everything from HR to every single jump.
by looking at my journal…I realized that my 1st and 4th jumps at bigger meets were my biggest jumps by far.
Mainly due to the way I warmed up and utilizing PAP (more on this later) right before the pit was closed to get the official jumps started.
Even when my 1st jump was not the biggest there was usually a good reason why…i.e. Foul, missed hitting the board by several inches or fell back.