It's Winter, not Winters

Bud Winter (nee Winters), was one of my earliest coaching influences. His coaching success goes all the way back to 1940’s when he discovered and developed a sprinter by the name of Hal Davis who would have been a multiple gold medalist if there had been a 1944 Olympic Games as he was the dominant force in US sprinting in the period 1941-43.

By the time I had the chance to speak to coach Winter he was retired. Still his perception of sprinting was keen and I got the impression that he had forgotten more than I would ever know about the subject. Sadly I loaned my copy of “So You Want to be a Sprinter” out some time ago and never got it back. Could someone make there copy into an e-book.

There were lots of drills in Winter’s program, nearly all of which were of his own design. No weights unless the athlete did them on his own. The key aspect of his coaching was to always work on relaxation. He had instructed Navy pilots in this during WWII, and wrote a book on the subject called “Relax and Win.”

When you look at the sample session posted above there lots of tempo shifts. That was one of his coaching keys, especially when trying to get his athletes to run relaxed.

Coach Winter was really a 100-200m coach. Effectively I think we would call his methods short to long. In regards to Lee Evans, Winter never really coached him. Rather Evans stayed with his high school coach, Stan Dowell, who also coached Andre Phillips to the gold in the 400mIH in 1988. Dowell was known for his grueling sessions; very few athletes could endure them. The long sprint plan that’s in the 1973 edition is really Dowell’s methodology. In 1987-88 I know that Phillips was doing 6x800m in 2:10-15 with @3 min recoveries (which I think were jogged). Dowell’s high school kids were doing the same work. Winter and Dowell got along quite well, which makes sense as I found the former to be a very gracious man.

I have found a copy at the library. I also ordered a spiral bound copy from the bud winter website. How do you feel about the training? Would you change any of the training to include sled runs or resisted runs how would you fit in weights?

I don’t really use any part of Coach Winter’s system. To me it’s a just a reference as to how some great athletes were produced. By rep at least some of what the Jamaicans do is based on this system and Charlie said the approach had merit.

Having said this, Winter’s interpretation of proper sprint mechanics and how to train them is totally off the mark.

I’m not sure which edition of the book that you managed to acquire, but there are significant differences between the two. The first edition training schedules have places reserved in training for “strengthening exercises” but they are only present in the month of February.