is sodiumbicarbonate legal

I have used as an experiment 10G of sodiumbicarbonate before a competition.
It felt really good no pain in the legs.

After the race i spoke someone who did a small research on bicarbonate and the effects.
He said it was a grat buffer that could really help against lactate.
He also mentioned that it might be an illegal supplement for me, because it could enhance perfomance.

before posting this i have read that in the horse racing thay consider it as doping

It’s not illegal, however, some users can’t tolerate it well and suffer from gastrointestinal problems (you may get the trots:). Recommended usage (although a high degree of individuality) is 0.3 g per kg body mass 1 hour prior to task.

It is a banned practice from what I know.

www.sportsci.org
“The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not explicitly ban the use of sodium bicarbonate sodium citrate, or other buffering agents. However, their use may be considered a violation of the IOC Doping Rule, which states that athletes shall not use any physiological substance in an attempt to artificially enhance performance. In horse racing, where the use of buffering agents is banned, limits have been set on the concentration of bicarbonate in blood samples taken before races. We believe it would be possible to set up a similar system to screen for the use of buffers by human athletes.”

so it is legal,
I have just used it in cometition, but is it helpfull in training as well.

I have to train lactic tolerance as 400m hurdles runner. so my question is
are you training the lactic tolerance with the use of sod.bicabonate?

I think not because it acts like a buffer.

But you can run faster with it so you must be training something.

[QUOTE=Stevemac24]www.sportsci.org
"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not explicitly ban the use of sodium bicarbonate sodium citrate, or other buffering agents. However, their use may be considered a violation of the IOC Doping Rule, <snip>

Okay, let me get this straight. It isn’t banned, yet you can be suspended or whatever for taking . . . . something that isn’t banned. This is new to me. What is up with this?

And what constitutes “artificial”?

wow, IOC political-ese in action… :slight_smile:

So, in other words, if they are on a witchhunt because they haven’t caught someone violating their doping rules in a while…

… if I was taking it - I’d be more worried about the trots to be honest with you.
Take too much of that stuff and you’ll not have to worry about lactic acid!