Is Hockey a Negative feedback on Sprinting

As a sprinter and former hockey player now focusing on sprinting I still do skate as a hockey referee. Does my skating during the winter months have a negative feedback quality on sprinting since the direction of push for skating is back and to the side???

No, skating and sprinting are very similar.

I have to agree totally on that one.

Last week I had my 13-14 year olds out for some dryland doing sprints etc then I went that evening to watch them on the ice for the first time and I couldn’t believe how closely related the 2 are. These kids skate almost exactly the same way as they sprint.

Certainly off-season sprint training helps hockey players, so I don’t think the reverse would be a big problem. In fact, there was a top Russian Woman sprinter who was a former speed skater.

Let me explain this abit more… I just went on the ice today for the first time in about 6 months and this is what I noticed about skating. Skating is alot less taxing on the CNS than sprinting is because there is very little impact during the motion and the force is applied to the ice alot longer. In skating you have to bring your knees up alot higher during the stride to ensure adequate stride recovery. Skating also involves the quadrecips alot more than sprinting does. I think of skating as a very similar movement to hill sprints (higher knee lift, less taxing on the CNS). Thoughts?

All of those points are pretty much dead on. I was commenting on when watching my kids from side view on the field and side view on the ice, their strides were easy to pick out. They were young so they had their face shields on but I could tell quite quickly by the way they skated. The fastest skater was the fastest sprinter, and the slowest skater was the slowest sprinter.

For sure it’s less taxing than sprinting and you are over a bit more. I think the biggest similarity is the speed at the hip. I do have my kids on the hills bringing up their knees. Also a lost more development in the outer quad. You can tell by looking at most skaters legs.

I just can’t see skating taking away much from your sprinting and viceversa.

would that be irina privalova charlie??

Thanks. I couldn’t remember her name!

Could the difference Blinky refers to be solely the result of the greater eccentric component found in sprinting?