Is Gail devers taking on too much??

What do you guys think… is Gail Devers taking on too much with the 100m as well as the hurdles??
As amazing as she is, at 37 the bod doesn’t recover as fast as 20’s… do you think she has hurt her elusive 100m hurdle chances with the 100m now??

the womens 100 is wide open and is there for the grabs.she may not win gold but may medal.go for it gail

Wide…but too narrow for her. She needs to focus on the hurdles and the combo is tough to do at any age! Good news for Canada.

good news for canada is right…Gail just does not look like the Gail we’ve come to know…

she is running extremely tight…she looks fatigued and what is with the calf wrap…it looks tough for her to make it to the 100m final much less be prepared for an onslought from PF and the other world class hurdlers…

regards…

Wizzard

She appeared to be limping. A calf injury is bad news on a very hard track.

Charlie-

What is the stiffness rating of the track in Athens?

I havn’t heard. Someone said 15 but I don’t know where they’re getting it from. Certainly, at all recent champs the track has been extremely hard/fast.

It’s definitely fast in Athens.

There should be very fast times in the next rounds

Heat 5 - Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 20:03 Wind: -0.9 m/s

Pos Lane Athlete Country Mark React
1 5 Okori Reïna-Flor FRA 12.81 Q (PB) 0.186
2 3 Shevchenko Irina RUS 12.82 Q 0.180
3 2 Krasovska Olena UKR 12.84 0.201
4 7 Bolm Kirsten GER 12.85 0.170
5 8 Martincova Lucie CZE 13.51 0.189
6 Devers Gail USA DNF 0.170
4 Pishtikova Svetla BUL DNS 0.000

what a shame…I would have hoped for something better for Gail…but truly she did not look healthy (with or without the calf wrapped) after her first few steps out of the blocks in H1 of the 100m…

a wonderfull carrer nonethless…I wish Gail the best in recovering from her injury at her age…

Wizzard

Guess we have an answer. She knew there was a problem before Ht1 of the 100, so she could have gotten out of the race and given herself a chance to recover and get another two days of treatment for the hurdles.

Devers didn’t seemed to be focused before her 100mH heat, like she already had some calf pain. Sorry for her, i don’t know why she tried the flat as she knew she was injured, i really don’t understand. That’s the occasion to say a word about Reïna who won her heat, that’s not a new girl, i know her for nearly a decade, she’s extremely talented, she has overcome 2 achilles tendons surgeries, that’s exceptional. She’s a fighter, she likes mind games at warm-up, but is too aggressive with journalists unfortunately.

I felt for Gail… agreat career that ended laying under a hurdle. As a former hurdler (right after the earth cooled), I love that event & have watched in awe of Gail for years.
Sometimes the hardest thing for an athlete to accept is that it’s not in the cards for them. I have seen Gail speak in interviews & I know she is devoutly religious so I hope she finds some peace & then gives back to the sport. An amazing run, so to speak.

Bc of her calf problems, Gail Deves said she had a better chance to medal in the 100m then she did the hurdles bc the pounding the calf takes is higher in the hurdles than it is in the 100m! That was her reason! So it did make sense for her to try and medal in the 100m instead of the hurdles!