Investigation of Muscle Growth without Exercise

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/pressreleases/prjuly05/muscle.html

What are your thoughts on them deciding to perform this study? Do you think they should? Do you think it will be succesfull?

Doas this mean they are looking for certain protiens in skeletal muscle that cause cell mitosis without external/internal resistance as a stimuli to cause adaptation!? ie vibrations (of some sort)?

I think this is worthy of research in the hopes that it could benefit disease sufferers. Knowing how medical research and the medical industry operate, however, leads me to believe that any positive findings will somehow be perverted into a really expensive drug with unknown and potentially dangerous side effects. Undoubtedly, the drug will also be used for things other than what the researchers originally intended. Although the pharm company that funded the research will ultimately not care whether an AIDS sufferer uses their drug legally or a bodybuilder buys it on the black market.

As for your other question: I don’t think the researchers are specifically looking for ways to induce/increase cellular mitosis. While they may make findings in this area, I don’t believe cellular mitosis, in and of itself, is the only way muscle hypertrophy occurs. In other words, muscles can grow without an increase in the actual cell numbers. In fact, from everything that I have learned in the past, most muscle hypertrophy does NOT occur solely due to mitosis - although its always involved because there is always a turnover of new cells in the body.

Thanks for your post, i found it very intresting. I am going to go read up on hypotrophy more, i have never actually read on it proply!

If you are interested in hypertrophy, there are probably quite a few people on this board that can offer some great advice, myself included, even though this board really doesn’t deal specifically with just gaining muscle. Training to maximize muscle growth is VERY different from training to maximize strength, explosiveness, and athleticism, even though there is a degree of crossover.

Hypertrophy does not involve mitosis (cell division), as it is defined as the growth of an organ due to an increase in the size (not number) of its constitutent cells. If an organ grows by mitosis, this would be called hyperplasia.

Muscles grow primarily due to hypertrophy, but research suggests that some hyperplasia can also occur.

Sincerely,
Robin.

While this is correct for most cells, no turnover of muscle or nerve cells usually occurs in the adult human body. Cellular turnover involves the death of old cells and the production of new, fully differentiated cells from less differentiated precursor cells. Most muscle cells stay with you for the rest of your life, and in muscle hyperplasia one fully differentiated muscle cell splits lenghtwise to produce two doughter cells rather than new cells being produced from less differentiated precursors.

Sincerely,
Robin.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/pressreleas...y05/muscle.html

What are your thoughts on them deciding to perform this study? Do you think they should? Do you think it will be succesfull?

Doas this mean they are looking for certain protiens in skeletal muscle that cause cell mitosis without external/internal resistance as a stimuli to cause adaptation!? ie vibrations (of some sort)?

Hormones build more muscle then exercise in direct head to head comparisons. If I remember correctly food is about equal.

It might just come down to an argument of semantics (or me being vague because I don’t have a science background and didn’t want to give wrong information), but once you reach adulthood, a given muscle cell will stay with you for the rest of your life? I was under the impression that all cells in the body were renewed in some form or another (what I meant by turnover).

Am I also correct to infer from your description that hyperplasia and mitosis are NOT the same thing? I wasn’t sure, so I was assuming that hyperplasia was a form of mitosis. I’ve been in a related discussion on other boards, and some folks believe hyperplasia occurs more than others, and is always a viable component to hypertrophy, so I didn’t want to leave that possibility out and start an argument :slight_smile: .

Thank you for your explanation!

The cells in your body can be roughly classified as either labile, stable or permanent cells. Labile cells, such as those in the skin or mucous membranes are constantly renewed. Stable cells, such as the functional cells of many organs only divide if given a special stimulus. Permanent cells, such as nerve and cardiac or skeletal muscle cells stay with us for the rest of our life.

Mitosis is the process of cell division. Hyperplasia is the growth of an organ due to an increase in the number of its constituent cells. Mitosis can thus result in hyperplasia, i.e. if the mitotic rate of the cells that make up an organ increases the organ will undergo hyperplasia.

Sincerely,
Robin.

A haaaa! Thanks!