Indoor 200m Ramp

why can’t I run a good 200m indoors ( Ramp Track).

Last Year I ran a PB of 24 Flat going full out In Lane one then went outside and ran a PB of 22.37.

So far I have ran a PB of 23.38.

What’s up with that? Anything I can do to fix this? Both races were ran from Lane one.

Lane one on a ramp track is no better than running on a flat 200m track. Maybe you need to put down a better entry time and try to get into lanes 4,5, or 6. Those are the best lanes on an indoor ramp 200m track.

i never heard a banked track called a ramp track before but anyways.
yes defiantly seed yourself with a faster seed time to get into any lane besides 1 and 2. from my personal experiance and research i have done indors to outdoors 200 meters is about a half second differnce and the 400 is almost a full second. of course this also depends how tall you are becasue some talller runner have trouble handling the tight turns of an indoor track. i am 5’7 and i ran 22.55 last year indoors in lane 4 on a flat track and indoors ran 22.03 outdoors in lane 8.

Kweli try running on an oversized track 270m unbanked (east tenn state, air force acad. What are you doing for speed endurances workouts indoors as oppossed to outdoors?

Kweli,

You need to enter a better time for the meet. I don’t care who the athlete is, they will never run fast in lane 1. In fact, I have never been to a meet that even uses lanes 1 and 2 for the 200m. It isn’t good on your legs to run that fast on such a tight turn. Lie about your time if you have to, but don’t run in lanes 1 or 2.

I don’t think oversized tracks exists in Canada. For indoor tracks, one of the fastest is McGill U in Montreal. Winnipeg & Saskatoon have fast banked 200m ovals as well.

i would have to disagree about finding an oversized track. that doesn’t give you an indication of your indoor 200 time. 200m times are for 200m tracks, not anything larger. that would give you a false sense of satisfaction and then you going to have a let down when you go back to a regular sized indoor track. just enter a better time a get a good lane. that will help more than you think.

Originally posted by Timothy Lane
Kweli try running on an oversized track 270m unbanked (east tenn state, air force acad. What are you doing for speed endurances workouts indoors as oppossed to outdoors?

I never did speed endurance last year. I only did 150’s. The longest sprints i ran in practice was 5x150’s full out. so I’d basically die at around 120m and just pump my arms in the last 80m, like i did when i ran my PR (22.37)

I wish i lived in Tenn. to run on those tracks…hopefully I’ll get a scholarship there :smiley:

kweli thats good if you add some speed endurance youll be under 22 easily and east tenn would give you money for that. Basically your 200m time is what you can do naturally which is excellent. I dont think 150’s will cut it for the 200m even if you have very little rest. I know the feeling of tying up in the 200m, it feels like your arms are going to fall off. Throw in some SE at 85% of your best time with 6-8mins rest it makes a HUGE difference in the end of the race.